my band's just a duo. But we're not going for the computer technology recording studio lark.

My drummer says he's going to have 6/7 mics, and i'll be recording with 1 or 2 on my amp. What mixer and track recorder can you lot suggest for us to use? On quite a low budget.
TIP : Buy all the mics at the same time and ask if you can get a discount ...
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
oh in that case...
I'm useless
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
tascam makes some quality mixers that arent that expensive, audio technica makes usable mics that aren't too bad either
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
agreed^

I would suggest something firewire so that all the tracks are recorded individually and can be edited individually.

I would prolly go with something that has at least 8 inputs. Presonus is nice from what I hear, but I would shop around and do some research on your own to be sure.

Good luck,
-Ryan
with an interface, each mic is recorded to its own channel in the computer, so you can do a proper mix and edit. with a mixer, you'd be recording just the stereo output and wouldn't be able to, say, add some eq and compression to the kick drum and a seperate eq to the snare, etc...

a good interface will have good quality pre-amps and converters, and will be able to supply phantom-power to any condenser mics you have.
But he said he didn't want to record to a computer....

Why is that ?
There is poetry in despair.