My friend was talking to me at school the other day, and he says he's gonna start playing guitar. He says he's gonna buy the Epiphone LP Zakk Wylde w/ EMGs.
So i go on to ask him what kind of music he plays. He says, "Mostly Hendrix."

So i started saying, "No, no, you're not gonna get a good hendrix tone out of that at all. What are you looking for as an amp."
He says, "I don't know, probably just a cheap one from a pawn shop."

He's so determined to get the Epi, i tried to tell him to get a Strat, or a squier, or something other than that. But he won't listen.

Then i tried to tell him that the amp is more important anyways, and started naming amps. But he just says, "Dude, but the Epiphone looks SOOOO cool!!"

Guys, what can i possibly say to him to pursuade him not to waste his money?
And also, what would you guys recommend him?
I'm not sure of his budget, but it can't be too much. He's just beginning, and he's not necessarily rich, either.

thanks.
O O

___
Just let him buy what he wants, he'll eventually realize he made a mistake. Either that or he'll just adapt and be fine with it. It's not wasting your money.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
maybe he can play Hendrix with BR00T4L M3T4LZZZZ TONE.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by scream_it
Just let him buy what he wants, he'll eventually realize he made a mistake. Either that or he'll just adapt and be fine with it. It's not wasting your money.

Eh, maybe you're right.
He said he found one for $250... so maybe he'll realize he made a mistake and sell it used for more cash. Lol.
O O

___
Tell him that if he buys that guitar it will be stolen because it looks "sooooo cool". Then suggest one of the strats better for playing hendrix?
Bring him to your local music shop and get a shop assistant (preferably a guitarist) to talk to him about it. If he still doesn't listen, even after talking to a serious guitarist, just let him buy it and laugh at him in a few weeks time. He might not even continue playing after a few weeks. A lot of people don't.

If he ignores you, he might listen to the dude in the shop
All he needs now is a Wylde MG sig stack and he's set
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
If you don't want him to buy it, tell him that Epiphone is for posers who want to look like Slash (or *insert name here*) but can't afford a Gibson. (and IMO, it's true)

You said you wanted suggestions? well, if I had $250 to spend, I'd get something like http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH53-Electric-Guitar?sku=515730 Hey, it's 10 bucks over, but I'd get it.
Quote by Zecromancer
If you don't want him to buy it, tell him that Epiphone is for posers who want to look like Slash (or *insert name here*) but can't afford a Gibson. (and IMO, it's true)

You said you wanted suggestions? well, if I had $250 to spend, I'd get something like http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH53-Electric-Guitar?sku=515730 Hey, it's 10 bucks over, but I'd get it.

For Hendrix?

Or are you just stating what YOU would buy?
O O

___
tell him only gay old men play that guitar, and only on sundays.
i rock more than gravel
I would tell him to get Squier and a Microcube or Vox Da5. Should be doable for under $250.
Show him this thread.
...no1 who just strarted will no any differnce in tone so let him get what he will think he will want to play more. i could understand if he was looking at some pos pointy bc rich but the epi is a solid axe. i would just recommend him saving more for a micro cube.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Tell him if he gets it, you'll smash the guitar....against his face.
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
Quote by Underjoggle
maybe he can play Hendrix with BR00T4L M3T4LZZZZ TONE.

hahahahaah.

But anyway, I'm sure he could be ok with the guitar, but you're right, he shouldn't be getting EMGs for Hendrix. Not enough sparkle. If he must have a humbucker tone he should get something with passive pups.
Set Up

Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Fender Princeton Chorus Amp
Fender Acoustic 12 String
Samick Acoustic 6 String
Line 6 POD X3 Live
TS your wasting your time hes looking more for image than substance. Theres another thread on hear for a guy wanting a cheap bigsby not because he intends to use it but because it looks so cool. Kinda like those spinner hubcaps walmart sells.
Quote by Tackleberry
TS your wasting your time hes looking more for image than substance. Theres another thread on hear for a guy wanting a cheap bigsby not because he intends to use it but because it looks so cool. Kinda like those spinner hubcaps walmart sells.

O O

___
actually Epiphones are a decent guitar . for not the stupid amount of money being spent on a gibson (which cannot be justified for the amount they ask)

to the OP your friend can play blues , rock or any type of music on the LP its a fairly versatile guiatar . and at the price of 250 its a good deal. and will hold a decent resale value for him if he doesnt stick with playing . when he looks into buying an amp i think then your imput will be a bit more helpful .
it's better than this kid I know... He goes to a prep school and wanted to get a gibson les paul and marshall half stack before he even learned how to play.

thankfully he got an ibanez Metal-pack thing instead and is making Brutal metal tone on his Spider III.

the sad thing is, he actually thinks his amp is good.

and loud. haha, it's 15 watts... cranked wouldn't even break my train of thought
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Let him make up his own mind but atleast let him know that the epiphone Zakks only have passive EMGs so he really is only buying it for the looks not any kind of sound quality....
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09