I need help... Say I wanted to write a song using a certain key... Say... C Major. How would I know what chords to use? I just need some help on understanding keys, I guess. Oh, and one more thing, I have a chord progression with these chords: G D Eminor7 C9. Can someone tell me what key that's in, and how you can tell what key a song is in? Thanks a bunch
Last edited by Fender1424 at Oct 15, 2008,
G D E C - repeating would be G major. The only odd part is the E major chord, which doesn't fit the scale exactly but it could just be an accidental. It would normally be and E minor chord to fit the G major scale exactly.

I ii iii IV V iv iiv(dim) -- those are your chords of the major scale (capitals are major, lowercase minor - the iiv one is actually a diminshed chord)

so in C major it would be:
Cmaj
Dmin
Emin
Fmaj
Gmaj
Amin
Bdim

the way to figure this out is to create the 1,3,5 triad for each note in the scale. Following the notes in the scale creates each chord.
Quote by GoDrex
G D E C - repeating would be G major. The only odd part is the E major chord, which doesn't fit the scale exactly but it could just be an accidental. It would normally be and E minor chord to fit the G major scale exactly.

I ii iii IV V iv iiv(dim) -- those are your chords of the major scale (capitals are major, lowercase minor - the iiv one is actually a diminshed chord)

so in C major it would be:
Cmaj
Dmin
Emin
Fmaj
Gmaj
Amin
Bdim

the way to figure this out is to create the 1,3,5 triad for each note in the scale. Following the notes in the scale creates each chord.

wait...I see you have the D minor and E minor in there...

So if you create the 1,3,5 triad wouldn't it be C maj, Dmaj and E maj for the first 3? How do you get the minors?
Quote by RounderIII
wait...I see you have the D minor and E minor in there...

So if you create the 1,3,5 triad wouldn't it be C maj, Dmaj and E maj for the first 3? How do you get the minors?

no it wouldn't be.

If you start on C and count 1,3,5 up the C major scale you get the notes C, E, G which is a C major chord.

If you start on D and count 1,3,5 up the C major scale you get the notes D, F, A which is a D minor chord.

If you start on E and count 1,3,5 up the C major scale you get the notes E, G, B which is a E minor chord.