I am very new to tube amps. i want to get something that can get metal/hard rock tones, Coheed and Cambria, black tide, blind melon(though there not metal i just really like them lol) and have nice cleans also. I normally rely on my amps distortion but im seeing that many people use a pedal to push their tube amp. I REALLY like the Jekyll and hyde pedal so i would probably use that. Also should i get mayby a lesser tube amp and then replace the speakers or something like that.

I have a Schecter C-1+ with stock hums that im gonna replace after i get a tube amp. My budget is $700 max on the amp.
I suggest you save money for a high gain amp in that budget. Should get a used Peavey 5150 on craigslist. Also, don't get a peavey valveking 112 if you do metal.
Quote by life_777
I suggest you save money for a high gain amp in that budget. Should get a used Peavey 5150 on craigslist. Also, don't get a peavey valveking 112 if you do metal.

Agreed I dislike the vk.
i heard the 5150 can only do distortion and its cleans are bad. I want good cleans too and im thinking mayby getting a good clean amp and then with a really nice distortion pedal getting my rock tones.
Quote by Shecter78787
i heard the 5150 can only do distortion and its cleans are bad. I want good cleans too and im thinking mayby getting a good clean amp and then with a really nice distortion pedal getting my rock tones.

If you want nice cleans don't get a 5150. If you want modern metal tone out of the box don't get a Valveking.

I recommend a Peavey Classic 30 + an overdrive pedal... it's got nice cleans and the overdrive pedal will push it into metal territory.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta

I recommend a Peavey Classic 30 + an overdrive pedal... it's got nice cleans and the overdrive pedal will push it into metal territory.

^That is a solid rec.
But check your local craigslist for used amps if you are in the US. We see Mesa F-30, Traynor YCV50 Blue, and decent Marshall's in that price range all the time.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^ craigslist is where its at, and check out Mesa and Peavey in that price range.
Quote by gregs1020
^That is a solid rec.
But check your local craigslist for used amps if you are in the US. We see Mesa F-30, Traynor YCV50 Blue, and decent Marshall's in that price range all the time.

This, I was going to make this exact suggestion. Of those classic 30, the ycv50 and the f-30 the f-30 can do metal out of the box quite easily.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by gregs1020
^That is a solid rec.

+1000
A Valveking can do some Coheed pretty well. You'd need an OD pedal for metal and stuff with more gain though.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
I would really like a mesa, so i guess ill check craigslist because im trying to get it so i give my parents 300-400 dollars and my parents pick up the rest of the tab for christmas.

What does an OD do with a tube amp, sumthing more special than it does with a solid state?
kustom coupe or mesa f-series... probably your best bets new (NOS in the case of the f-series)... if you can go used, you'd have a few other options.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Shecter78787

What does an OD do with a tube amp, sumthing more special than it does with a solid state?

Well you can use it for a few things. You can get tube saturation at lower volumes, you can tighten up your sound with one or use it as a clean boost. I have no idea what it would do on a SS amp though.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^ you'd just get the pedal clipping, like you do with a distortion pedal (only it'd sound a bit smoother).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
check out some used peaveys or maybe a vk with a speaker replacement new tubes and the j&h (very good pedal btw)
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by gregs1020
I have no idea what it would do on a SS amp though.

sound like ass, thats what they do on SS amps

and Valvekings are great, you'll need an OD for blacktide though
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene