I was just wondering whether any of the fretless players out there have any specific fretting changes when they move from fretted to fretless basses. In other words do you guys aim for the fret line (marker) or just keep your fingers infront of the fretlines a la fretted bass? I am in the market for a new bass specifically the Fender Jaco Sig. has caught my interest so any feedback on that bass would be much appreciated aswell.
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
In my experience, a properly intonated fretless is bang on on the 12th, slightly before the fret before that and slightly after the fret after that. Gary Willis told me so. And NO-ONE doubts Gary Willis: Fretless genius.

But you should aim to build your ear than your eye when it comes to fretless.
Your ear will guide you, really. Your fingertip will be on the fretmarker at all times- whether or not you focus your weight slightly before the line or slightly after depends on what Ben says.

And in my opinion, there's no real difference between fretting on fretted and fretless instruments if you learned to fret properly. Fretless just means you have to be a bit more confident in yourself in that what you're doing is right.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Your ear will guide you, really. Your fingertip will be on the fretmarker at all times- whether or not you focus your weight slightly before the line or slightly after depends on what Ben says.

And in my opinion, there's no real difference between fretting on fretted and fretless instruments if you learned to fret properly. Fretless just means you have to be a bit more confident in yourself in that what you're doing is right.

Agreed. And in reality you should be getting to a point where rely on your ear and your muscle memory. I've been using my fretless in the blues/jazz group (it sounds better in the mix with acoustics) and I find I barely look at the fretboard now and my ears tell me before anyone else does that I'm slightly off on my fingering.
Thanks for the input guys. Obviously once I get my hands on the fretless the muscle memory will begin to take shape but before that the bass is going to be fairly unforgiving.

Anyone have any input on the Jaco Sig?
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
I found the side dots on the side lines but the face dots where they should be to be super-confusing, but like a salesman once said, "it's everything beautiful that Fender does." Keep in mind though, those pickups are a wee bit low-output (as per spec).

Also, get rid of those flatwounds, and make sure a proper fretless setup is done on it (ie. very little if any neck relief).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
overpriced imo. but great sound.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I would have imagined the low-output pickups to suit the fretless. The output being less dense in the low mids and then more presence in the upper mids. Atleast thats how I pictured it. Elaborate Fitzy.
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
Well, lower output typically yields 'clarity', and this is what the bass is. There's a very clear, detailed sound happening, which just BEGS for roundwounds, especially with the polied fingerboard. If you want an analogy, picture moving closer and closer to a microphone. The closer you are, the louder it is, but the less articulate your voice is. You'll just find the bass a good bit quieter than your other axes, especially your MM.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
That paints a clearer picture thanks fitz. I never realized how much I missed how informative this place was until I came back. Lucky for me there are plenty of people willing to articulate the complicated stuff for us thickheads.
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
That's what I'm here for!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
O man, your guys fretless' have lines, I must have been ripped off....lol.
I prefer the look of an unlined fingerboard myself. They should make a Jazz with one, real nice ebony or something.
I have a unlined fretless with the dots on the side. I prefer the look myself.

Ric4003, one more piece of advise. Make sure you get some consistent practice in with the Fretless on a regular basis. I took mine to class last night after not playing it for 2 weeks and found that my intonation was off, sometimes to the point of being into non-Western scale land. By the end of the class I was locked back in, but it did make me vow to get more play time with the FL.