Page 1 of 2
hi so i joined an MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) club and i've been doing some basic MMA training. while doing this i realized that i prefered the standing and punching as opposed to grappling on the ground, therefore i prefered the boxing aspect to anything else. i also realized that boxing is an incredible workout which is what i joined the mma club for and unlike mma you learn the basics and practice a bit before you start sparing, which is something i always like with sport (basics before competition). basically i want to do boxing

my problem is i have no clue where to start, so could anyone give me some guidance please on stuff like where to start, what gear i'd need, etc.

thanks

ps. sorry if this didn't make much sense
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Look for a boxing club, that's a good idea. For example, my school kinda has one, it's more of a private thing just advertised by the school. But it essential teaches the basics and even goes into some preliminary competition stuff.
one kid in my school took boxing lessons, so I'm pretty sure if you look in the ads and stuff on a newspaper or just look online for boxing lessons
Awesome. Now that you're interested in boxing I can ask you a question that I've always wondered about the sport of boxing...

What is it about getting your face beaten night after night that's so appealing? I know that sounds sarcastic, but I'm serious... I really don't understand. That's a major risk to your health...
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
go to a boxing club and sign up.. or ask for some advice there.

but boxing is an awesome work out. I did it for like 20 minutes in a karate class (with boxing gloves obvs.) and i was knackered and my shoulders were hurting.. so assume if you do it for longer regularly you should bulk up quickly
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by Smokey Amp
Awesome. Now that you're interested in boxing I can ask you a question that I've always wondered about the sport of boxing...

What is it about getting your face beaten night after night that's so appealing? I know that sounds sarcastic, but I'm serious... I really don't understand. That's a major risk to your health...

The reputation is pretty nice.

People don't say shit to someone that is a boxer. Unless they're a boxer or do any martial arts.
And I find fighting really fun. The only thing that kept me in hockey was the cage rages after every practice.
Quote by Smokey Amp

I seriously cant understand why any one would want to partake or watch the 'sport' of getting punched/punching someone in the face...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Smokey Amp

the thrill, the challenge, the exercise, the honor, the feeling of using nothing but your fists to fight...
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
Quote by Smokey Amp

boxing is a sport, so with it comes thrills, victories, lessons, blah blah basically everything a sport gives you. It also keeps you in great shape and the overall rush of competition is enough to make you want to do boxing. Remember, "Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game"
Quote by Smokey Amp

i don't necessarily want to fight or get my head knocked in. i just want to do the associated exercising and training. plus if you learn how to defend yourself it should be the other person who gets brain damage
I shot JR

actually to specify i would like to know where and how to get started in montreal, downtown montreal
I shot JR

Quote by CaptainRon
The reputation is pretty nice.

People don't say shit to someone that is a boxer. Unless they're a boxer or do any martial arts.
And I find fighting really fun. The only thing that kept me in hockey was the cage rages after every practice.

Silly Canadian.
...Looks inside wallet and sees something that resembles monopoly money,
nooooooooooooo.

Seriously though
learning to box would be fun, but I'd quit once it came to getting my face beaten in.
Quote by tona_107
Silly Canadian.
...Looks inside wallet and sees something that resembles monopoly money,
nooooooooooooo.

Seriously though
learning to box would be fun, but I'd quit once it came to getting my face beaten in.

ya i want to do it but i don't want to get the shit beat out of me
I shot JR

Quote by Absent Mind
I seriously cant understand why any one would want to partake or watch the 'sport' of getting punched/punching someone in the face...

because its entertaining to some people?

i seriously cant understand how YOU cant understand why someone would like the sport?!
Quote by metaldud536
TM 01 Focus Punch
TM 10 Hidden Power
TM 48 - Fire Punch
TM 41 - Thunder Punch
Tm33 - Ice Punch

All you need to know.

Quote by CHOCOmoney
dude, take up gracie jiu-jitsu, it amazing. Nothing better

jew-jistsu > gracie jiu-jitsu

(Invalid img)
Quote by CHOCOmoney
dude, take up gracie jiu-jitsu, it amazing. Nothing better

Not if your opponent has a lot of takedown defense and is a really good boxer. But then again, on the ground a boxer is worthless. In MMA you need a mix of a stand up fist style, grappling style, and ground style.

Something like this

Stand-up- Boxing/Muay Thai
Grappling- Judo/Wrestling
Ground- Jiu Jit Su

Then you can whoop almost anyone's ass.
Quote by FERG93
jew-jistsu > gracie jiu-jitsu

(Invalid img)

DreadJew Jitsu
...What!?
Quote by metaldud536
TM 01 Focus Punch
TM 10 Hidden Power
TM 48 - Fire Punch
TM 41 - Thunder Punch
Tm33 - Ice Punch

All you need to know.

Quote by EnemyWolf
Not if your opponent has a lot of takedown defense and is a really good boxer. But then again, on the ground a boxer is worthless. In MMA you need a mix of a stand up fist style, grappling style, and ground style.

Something like this

Stand-up- Boxing/Muay Thai
Grappling- Judo/Wrestling
Ground- Jiu Jit Su

Then you can whoop almost anyone's ass.

anybodys ass that doesnt train for the same things, but yeah. even very basic Jiu jit su will give you a huge advantage fighting any average guy.
does anyone know of any boxing gyms/clubs in downtown/mid-town toronto or down-town montreal
I shot JR

my dad taught my brothers and i to box when we were young and it was alot of fun. basicly all you have to know is keep your hands up and keep your feet moving.

as for getting into it i cant help you.
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Boxing? Why not take up a real sport, like rape.

funny
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Boxing? Why not take up a real sport, like rape.

win
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Its a great sport, I should really get back into it.

Your best bet is joining a boxing club, and going from there, you wont get very far training on your J's.
im about to start taking classes in muay thai.

honestly, is there any reason to take boxing, when you have muay thai?
Quote by Graveworm
The whole muagy thai or whatever crap is just meh to me.
Quote by Smokey Amp

Seriously, do you think boxers are in it because they like getting punched in the face? The whole point of boxing is to AVOID the opponents punches and to land your own.

How about having fighting skill, being in incredible shape, learning defense (yeah, defense...as in avoiding getting punched in the face), building self-discipline (not that you'd know what that would be, sitting on your ass day after day on a computer), and of course the thrill of victory when you've put in months of hard training and get the results.

Fighting is the most primal, basic form of competition among men. Nothing compares in putting every ounce of training and dedication into an opponent. Again, not that you would know, sitting on your ass day after day in front of a computer and playing guitar.

Note, also (in case you didn't know the completely fucking obvious) that not everyone who trains boxing fights in boxing matches. In fact, the vast number of people who train any fighting art do not bother with amateur bouts. In sparring, everyone goes really light anyways and wears headgear so it doesn't do shit if you get hit with a few punches.
Last edited by AzureNight at Nov 8, 2008,
Quote by Smokey Amp

Yeah, but there is a great deal of athleticism and technique required and mastering these things and overcoming an opponent is fun.

EDIT: Even though I can't stand the bastard, AzureNight did a good job of explaining the appeal, although (as always) his insults were not necessary.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Quote by terrencemaddox
Yeah, but there is a great deal of athleticism and technique required and mastering these things and overcoming an opponent is fun.

EDIT: Even though I can't stand the bastard, AzureNight did a good job of explaining the appeal, although (as always) his insults were not necessary.

Eat my shit you filthy cumgargler!
^ I train in muay thai pretty hard. I just got sick of being a wimpy scrawny dweeb who cant do shit. Its a great esteem builder to be training hard , you get to look and feel better. Its also a great way to meet people Kickboxing chicks are fiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Im now training for my first amateur fight. I love it, to be working towards something.

Quote by AzureNight
Eat my shit you filthy cumgargler!

Yeah, yeah.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

Quote by Drmckool
does anyone know of any boxing gyms/clubs in downtown/mid-town toronto or down-town montreal

Yeah there's one right by Dundas West station that is really just the best, Bloor St. Boxing and Fitness, a friend of mine trains there and painted all the murals that are on the wall, i suggest starting there
Quote by Oguchi Onyewu
im about to start taking classes in muay thai.

honestly, is there any reason to take boxing, when you have muay thai?

Yes. I would answer, but why would you think otherwise?

EDIT: And heavyairship, even though I'm sure you didn't mean it to sound that simple, there is far more to boxing than that. A good example is using your weight to properly land a punch. You can't just lug your arm at your opponents face and expect victory...you have to know how to use your weight to throw the best punch you can.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

Last edited by terrencemaddox at Nov 9, 2008,
Quote by Boghead
^ I train in muay thai pretty hard. I just got sick of being a wimpy scrawny dweeb who cant do shit. Its a great esteem builder to be training hard , you get to look and feel better. Its also a great way to meet people Kickboxing chicks are fiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Im now training for my first amateur fight. I love it, to be working towards something.

Agreed, this one chick at my Muay Thai school came in chubby and ugly looking, but now she's fit as hell and has a really nice body, lots of curves and ass.

How long have you been training?

Quote by terrencemaddox
Yes. I would answer, but why would you think otherwise?

EDIT: And heavyairship, even though I'm sure you didn't mean it to sound that simple, there is far more to boxing than that. A good example is using your weight to properly land a punch. You can't just lug your arm at your opponents face and expect victory...you have to know how to use your weight to throw the best punch you can.

Obviously boxing has way better hands but Muay Thai beats boxing in diversity. You have powerful kicks, a far superior clinch with devastating knees and elbows, and punching thrown in too. In most North American and European Muay Thai schools, the boxing is well developed and there are some brutal punch-kick combos. With a boxing stance, low kicks will fuck you up big time anyways. It's only in Thailand where they kick a lot more than punch, because they train from a young age and develop insane speed in their kicks. But here, virtually all of our combos use punches. Look at Ernesto Hoost highlights for example, very good boxing skill and devastating Muay Thai.

Also, note that in Muay Thai you can't do the typical boxing defense of bobbing and weaving and head/body movement since you'll just end up getting kicked and kneed in the face.
Last edited by AzureNight at Nov 9, 2008,
Quote by AzureNight
Seriously, do you think boxers are in it because they like getting punched in the face? The whole point of boxing is to AVOID the opponents punches and to land your own.

How about having fighting skill, being in incredible shape, learning defense (yeah, defense...as in avoiding getting punched in the face), building self-discipline (not that you'd know what that would be, sitting on your ass day after day on a computer), and of course the thrill of victory when you've put in months of hard training and get the results.

Fighting is the most primal, basic form of competition among men. Nothing compares in putting every ounce of training and dedication into an opponent. Again, not that you would know, sitting on your ass day after day in front of a computer and playing guitar.

Note, also (in case you didn't know the completely fucking obvious) that not everyone who trains boxing fights in boxing matches. In fact, the vast number of people who train any fighting art do not bother with amateur bouts. In sparring, everyone goes really light anyways and wears headgear so it doesn't do shit if you get hit with a few punches.

Thanks for the reply. I guess that's a good way to look at it.

Although does it really matter that I'm not competitive enough to put myself through that kind of thing? I don't see why you feel the need to ridicule me for asking an honest question about something I have no knowledge.

I thank you for your educated summary, but there's no need to come across as an arrogant, self-righteous prick.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Smokey Amp
Thanks for the reply. I guess that's a good way to look at it.

Although does it really matter that I'm not competitive enough to put myself through that kind of thing? I don't see why you feel the need to ridicule me for asking an honest question about something I have no knowledge.

I thank you for your educated summary, but there's no need to come across as an arrogant, self-righteous prick.

Fair enough, but your initial question sounded more like ignorance to me and trying to belittle those who participate in combat sports or martial arts.

You don't have to be competitive to participate in such activities anyways. I'd say it's mostly competition against oneself - the will to keep going when your muscles burn from pain and your lungs wheeze for air, and then to make yourself go to the gym in the next day or day after that when your body is sore and you feel like doing nothing. Not to mention the goals of improving technique and cardio. It's that kind of discipline that in my opinion adds a lot of character and makes you feel really good about yourself in the end. Besides, it's just fun anyways.

So I apologize if I sounded arrogant.
Page 1 of 2