Hey all, I'm looking to buy a 12-string guitar, budget about 1000$
Any suggestions on brands, body styles, etc? Pretty much anything I should know or look for/at before I make a purchase?
There's not too much to know. The only major issue with 12 string guitars is that you absolutely CAN NOT cheap out on them. You have a good sized budget though, so you're fine on that issue. As for brands... I've found that takamine 12 strings are pretty good. Mainly because of their great playability(What tak doesn't play well though?). 12 strings are harder to play, so yea. I'm sure you can do the math.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
let me throw a pitch for the Guild GAD-F212 -- I'm about this close to buying one myself. It's orchestra size -- I really like the narrow nut width too which makes it really easy to play and it's within your budget. If you have the chance to try one out, it's worth looking into.
Get a Maton

You'll have to spend considerably more than $1000 to get a 12 string Maton.
I've had a hardon for this for quite some time now:

It's the Alvarez AJ60S12. Jumbo size, which equals out to big big booming 12 string sound. Combined with the solid englemann spruce top, maple back and sides, the nice nice Alvarez neck shape and you've got a winner. I've played one and it is indeed loud, but the clarity is also present, as is the sustain. She lists for $750. You can get her through Musiciansfriend for $500 if you don't mind not playing it first(not a good idea tho).
^--That is a nice looking guitar. Im itching for an Alvarez myself. Not a 12 string, but the next guitar I buy is very likely to be something from their Masterworks series.
^ If you're thinking about the masterworks series, you might also want to consider moving up the last step to the Yairi's. If you have the money that is.
^--Oh, Ive considered it...lol The DY84 is on my 'bucket list' for guitars. The Yairis are pretty hard to find here in Australia though.
You think a Yairi is hard to come by in Australia? I can't even find an Alvarez dealer
Equipment:

^--Isnt Toronto the largest city in Canada? Very surprising that theres no Alvarez dealers.
Yes, it is the largest, and yes it's also disappointing. Toronto's only about 3million or so though.
Equipment:

I've got an Alvarez dealer just down the road from me, and he's got Yairi's.
darn you all. I've only seen 1 alvarez in my life. I was on a bus tour in the states and was driving around DC. some guy was busking with an alvarez(I know because i recognize guitars by pickguards. Alvarez's is very unique.)
Equipment:

Yes, it is the largest, and yes it's also disappointing. Toronto's only about 3million or so though.

Lol, the town I live in only has 20,000.

I've got an Alvarez dealer just down the road from me, and he's got Yairi's.

Just rub it in then :-(
hey im looking to buy a new electric guitar at the end of the year, my budget will be around $1500 i play lots of styles, anyone got any suggestions
Quote by geetar93
hey im looking to buy a new electric guitar at the end of the year, my budget will be around $1500 i play lots of styles, anyone got any suggestions

Not in the ACOUSTIC GUITAR forum we don't. Try the ELECTRIC GUITAR forum. DOH!
Quote by LeftyDave
Not in the ACOUSTIC GUITAR forum we don't. Try the ELECTRIC GUITAR forum. DOH!

yeah thanks i figured that but you guys seemed to know your stuff so i asked anyway
Quote by geetar93
yeah thanks i figured that but you guys seemed to know your stuff so i asked anyway

Oh, well in that case, check out a Gibson SG Standard. Nice axe there. Or a faded and do a few upgrades to it yourself, like chrome pup covers and pup adjusting rings. Mine plays about as mint as a guitar can get now, and it's perfect for hard stuff, but get's the job done for clean as well.
I've got an Alvarez-Yairi DY-76 "Herringbone 12". It's awesome. It would probably cost around $1000 if you could find one used.
Guitars: Carvin TL-60T, Carvin C750 Acoustic, Squier Strat w/Carvin C22B & AP11's, Alvarez-Yairi DY76 12-string, Eastman MD-605 Mandolin, Fender Mandocaster, Ibanez UKS-10 Ukulele
Well, what are you waiting for, toss a pic up of her so we can all drool! lol
Man, my lowly RD20SL is nothing compared to that one. But she still sounds sweet to my ears.
^ Nice choice tom! You'll no doubt be telling us all about it once you get it. Gotta love that 12th fret slash!
Cheers. Will definitely post a review.

Anyone own one or played one?