Say, you have an all tube combo that comes with a few built in effects such as delay, reverb, flanger, maybe even a phaser.

would you use the effects built in the amp, or keep the built in FX off, and buy stomp boxes and use them in the effect loop?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
depends how good the delay reverb flanger and phaser are
if you have a spider valve i feel sorry for you.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by bjovi400
Say, you have an all tube combo that comes with a few built in effects such as delay, reverb, flanger, maybe even a phaser.

would you use the effects built in the amp, or keep the built in FX off, and buy stomp boxes and use them in the effect loop?

I didn't know there WERE (good) tube amps with all that sound fx/modelling things built in.
Probably sound really bad, I'd use stompboxes?

EDIT: Oh, a spider valve?
no.

Peavey XXX combo, all tube?? yeah, they have a model with some FX. Im just curious cause im hoping to grab one, and wanna know if i should use some stompboxes insted of the onboard FX.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Oct 15, 2008,
pedals usually sound better
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
stompboxes are generally, if not always, the better way to go if you want ultimate control over the sound you're creating. Modeling amps are fun for tooling around, and are sometimes surprisingly decent, though having an effects chain that you can customize to your liking is the way to go, especially if you really enjoy using effects. If not, the amp should be enough for ya. I have a shit load of stompboxes, though they can be a pain in the ass due to the space they take up, the cost (leads can get expensive, make your own if ya can) of having to connect everything and of course the joy of running power to them all, be it via battery or cable and then having to master switching them on and off for a live situation quickly can be more than most players would care to deal with. But, I wouldn't have the tone, nor the power of the effects if not for the variety of my stompboxes. You can always go with a board, but then you're left with the same pre-programed order and unless you know your crap when it comes to programming and wiring, you won't be able to tweak the sound of the given effects like individual stompers.

Hope that helps.
Enter something refreshingly witty here:
Quote by GodbowstoMath
stompboxes are generally, if not always, the better way to go if you want ultimate control over the sound you're creating. Modeling amps are fun for tooling around, and are sometimes surprisingly decent, though having an effects chain that you can customize to your liking is the way to go, especially if you really enjoy using effects. If not, the amp should be enough for ya. I have a shit load of stompboxes, though they can be a pain in the ass due to the space they take up, the cost (leads can get expensive, make your own if ya can) of having to connect everything and of course the joy of running power to them all, be it via battery or cable and then having to master switching them on and off for a live situation quickly can be more than most players would care to deal with. But, I wouldn't have the tone, nor the power of the effects if not for the variety of my stompboxes. You can always go with a board, but then you're left with the same pre-programed order and unless you know your crap when it comes to programming and wiring, you won't be able to tweak the sound of the given effects like individual stompers.

Hope that helps.

That's a good well thought out answer. I agree with you. If you've got the money stompboxes are the way to go. I like my Boss Super Chorus better than either of the built in chorus effects on my Vypyr 30.