Hey UG!
I'm looking at getting a cab to go with a Rockerverb 50 (probably Avatar), and I need some speaker recommendations. I'm looking for mainly, the authentic British Crunch kinda sound, but I also need to be able to move into slightly heavier things (80's heavy metal- Maiden, Sabbath, etc..) without the speakers going for crap.
I'm looking at combinations of:
Vintage 30
G12H30
G12T75

What do you all think gives me the best range, and optimum tone?
Also, open back, or closed back?

EDIT: Oh, difference between mono and stereo cabs?
Last edited by Zeppelin_1223 at Oct 15, 2008,
mono: 1 speaker; both channels go through the same speaker.
stereo: 2 or more speakers, seperating left and right channels.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Quote by SinnaSatan
mono: 1 speaker; both channels go through the same speaker.
stereo: 2 or more speakers, seperating left and right channels.

Is there a particular advantage of having one or the other?
If you have two amps you could run them on one cab, or if you have a stereo amp then you could run each channel on it's own two speakers. Otherwise there isn't much point in having one. I'm thinking a g12h and g12t75 in a closed back cab would sound good, but I don't know a whole lot about speakers.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
If you have two amps you could run them on one cab, or if you have a stereo amp then you could run each channel on it's own two speakers. Otherwise there isn't much point in having one. I'm thinking a g12h and g12t75 in a closed back cab would sound good, but I don't know a whole lot about speakers.

yeah, I'm leaning towards a g12H myself actually, just wondering now, if I should have a pair of them, or a G12H and V30/G12t75
(I've decided on closed back mono, by the way. Mono- I only have one amp, closed back- it's how Avatar 212 custom cabs are made () )
I think that would sound good too, the only reason I suggested the combo was for the extra head room which would probably be nicer for metal.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I think that would sound good too, the only reason I suggested the combo was for the extra head room which would probably be nicer for metal.

Yeah, I'm gonna fire an email off to Avatar/Celestion to see what they think is best.
But first, I'll see if the speaker thread has anything to share.
Send ted weber (tedweber.com) an email, he'll suggest you some weber speakers to try. You could save a few buck that way if you wanted.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I would just get a used Marshal 1960A or B

I hate the look of Orange heads on black cabs.
I'd rather not retolex, either.