Page 1 of 2
My Senior quote is due tomorrow so I was looking over the guidelines and I noticed "Please avoid disparaging remarks." Now, I would like your opinions on this.

"I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas." - George Carlin

"My idea is that church and state screw us up enough on their own, so both of them
together is certain death." - George Carlin

"Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd and bloody religion that has ever infected the world."
-- Voltaire

Do you think these would be considered "disparaging?"
are you in america? you are slagging off the 2 most important things to most americans lol. You will probably be under FBI supervision.
do you really have to ask? dude, there's no way any of those are getting into a yearbook...what with people getting all offended about things and stuff.
Yeah you should totally quote Voltaire being a complete jerkoff.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by leonkaz0822
do you really have to ask? dude, there's no way any of those are getting into a yearbook...what with people getting all offended about things and stuff.

This is one of the reasons I want to use something akin to these. They claim we have freedom yet they censor things they'd rather not hear.(Most often, the truth)
Quote by Seventeen
This is one of the reasons I want to use something akin to these. They claim we have freedom yet they censor things they'd rather not hear.(Most often, the truth)

Of course you don't have true freedom you idiot. Some things need to be censored or prevented.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
Are you serious? There's no way they'd accept any of those. Far too controversial.
do you go to a public or private (christian) school? if private those are all no-goes. if public, those are no-goes because they can't risk offending someone and getting sued.

go for a quote from your favorite musician or something.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
ok here's your quote...

"what a long, strange trip it's been"

lol
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
If I had any inkling that you personally had anything real to say, I'd be on your side with the whole free speech thing. But it's painfully obvious that you're just some smarmy kid trying to push people's buttons by being an asshole.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Put some Marquis de Sade quotes in there instead.

Like this one: Woman's destiny is to be wanton, like the bitch, the she-wolf; she must belong to all who claim her.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by Seventeen

No offense man but you are fine to have your own personal beliefs about christianity and the state i would agree with you, but when you try shoving them down other peoples throats you arent respecting their right to their religious beliefs etc.

Its not like you advertising a generic statement about how bad christianity is is going to make christians go 'WOW he is right, i will stop going to church and start rioting'

If some tries to indoctrinate you into religion then thats a different matter you can tell them all that.
Dumping on goverment. Dumping on religion.

Very rebelious. Especially these days...

And yes, I would consider them disparaging.
"Jessie: Good thing we ran into this sign.
James of Team Rocket: Yes, it's a good sign. "

Beautiful.
Quote by VoodooChild15
If I had any inkling that you personally had anything real to say, I'd be on your side with the whole free speech thing. But it's painfully obvious that you're just some smarmy kid trying to push people's buttons by being an asshole.

How so? I don't see anything in my post that could have leaded you to that assumption. I barely talk in school; if I bring up anything that contradicts what they "teach" they brush me off as stupid. I'm merely following the instructions on the paper, putting a quote that I believe in. If this is the last thing any of my teachers will ever hear from me, I'd rather it be somewhat powerful and not just another quote.
Quote by Seventeen
How so? I don't see anything in my post that could have leaded you to that assumption. I barely talk in school; if I bring up anything that contradicts what they "teach" they brush me off as stupid. I'm merely following the instructions on the paper, putting a quote that I believe in. If this is the last thing any of my teachers will ever hear from me, I'd rather it be somewhat powerful and not just another quote.

you will look back on this and think 'how embarrassing i sound like a total asshole'
Put in some Winston Churchill quotes.
██████████████████████████████
Quote by Seventeen

It might've been:

Disparaging:

* derogative: expressive of low opinion; "derogatory comments"; "disparaging remarks about the new house"

"Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd and bloody religion that has ever infected the world."
-- Voltaire

It's just childish.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Gnluser383
Are you serious? There's no way they'd accept any of those. Far too controversial.

Controversial? I'd vote for stupid. Even when you don't believe in religion there's no reason for you to throw it at people's faces. You hate it so much yet even by asking if they're acceptable you're acting exactly, if not worse than those Jehovah's Witnesses who you don't like bothering you on weekend mornings.

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
disparage:
to regard or represent as being of little worth.

Carlin: presents religion and government as being of no worth.
Voltaire: presents christianity as being of no worth.

therefore, you have bypassed disparaging and gone into the realm of impugning them.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by XtacularZ
you will look back on this and think 'how embarrassing i sound like a total asshole'

Well, I'm don't intend to buy a year book. I'm sure I'll receive the standard "You're too young, you'll see it differently when you get older." However, I don't see how much my beliefs/views can change with only college and a years of a job ahead of me.
Quote by VoodooChild15

Amen.

Regardless of your political and religious beliefs (or lack thereof), yearbook quotes are meant to be anything BUT disparaging. This is just asking for it.
Quote by bigredbeast
how much is 15,000 PHP? I didn't know they played guitar in the Phillipines. I thought they played ukelele or something.

Because, of course, we're too far away from places with guitars and all that stuff so we play ukelele...
there's a few flaws in your logic.

1. you think your teachers will read what you put in there
2. if they DID read what you put in there, you are under the mistaken impression that it will have an impact on them (if we're all calling you an idiot, what do you think a bunch of educated adults are going to think?)
3. you think you're unique in wanting to put something 'totally deep' in the yearbook instead of a bunch of stupid quotes
4. You actually think that what you put in the yearbook will be important
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
there's a few flaws in your logic.

1. you think your teachers will read what you put in there
2. if they DID read what you put in there, you are under the mistaken impression that it will have an impact on them (if we're all calling you an idiot, what do you think a bunch of educated adults are going to think?)
3. you think you're unique in wanting to put something 'totally deep' in the yearbook instead of a bunch of stupid quotes
4. You actually think that what you put in the yearbook will be important

1. Most of the teachers in my school have too much "spirit", they probably will.
2. I wouldn't automatically assume all teachers are "educated."
3. I don't think I'm unique, someone else made the quotes. They're not "deep", they're pretty straight forward.
4. I don't and never said I did.
chill buddy you are 17 probably the best age to be and you are probably a talented musician dont be so confrontational because you will turn people away from you when trying to do the opposite. If you were my nephew i would kick your ass then take you to a stripclub for some beers.
"If there were no God, it would have been necessary to invent him." - voltaire

so much for that one . . .

"No one ever teaches well who wants to teach, or governs well who wants to govern."
- Plato

^Teachers will like that one^^
Quote by Seventeen
1. Most of the teachers in my school have too much "spirit", they probably will.
2. I wouldn't automatically assume all teachers are "educated."
3. I don't think I'm unique, someone else made the quotes. They're not "deep", they're pretty straight forward.
4. I don't and never said I did.

You're just reinforcing the impression that you're the stereotypical teenager who thinks they're the only one who hates everything high school related. You can stop putting quotation marks around everything associated with your school, it makes you look like an ass. If you really hate your school and everything it entails, you won't spend an entire evening thinking about what you're going to write in the yearbook to show your teachers and classmates what's really important. You're not going to make a difference, and despite what you might think, your teachers ARE educated (much more than you are, or will likely ever be with your attitude); they will not be swayed by your chosen quotes.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
You're just reinforcing the impression that you're the stereotypical teenager who thinks they're the only one who hates everything high school related. You can stop putting quotation marks around everything associated with your school, it makes you look like an ass. If you really hate your school and everything it entails, you won't spend an entire evening thinking about what you're going to write in the yearbook to show your teachers and classmates what's really important. You're not going to make a difference, and despite what you might think, your teachers ARE educated (much more than you are, or will likely ever be with your attitude); they will not be swayed by your chosen quotes.

How so? I never said I hated high school and never said nor thought I was the only one who does. Excuse me for using grammar to convey a point.(This really has nothing to do with the main question anyway) My teacher made the quote sheet a homework assignment I'm required to do this. An hour isn't an evening. I don't intend to make a difference, never said I was trying to. Sure the teachers are qualified by the standards set to become a teacher, but by a universal idea of education, not every teacher is.

"much more than you are, or will likely ever be with your attitude"
I read books and research topics that interest me. I'd rather spend a day in a library than in a school. My attitude greatly drives my ambition to learn.

With that, I've decided to use two short quotes.

"Common sense is not so common."
- Voltaire
"Information doesn't kill you."- Frank Zappa
Last edited by Seventeen at Oct 15, 2008,
No need to spark an entire debate about teenagers and anti-authoritarianism. The quotes look fine to me. What they mean by "disparaging" would be direct personal attacks or excessive language. The ideas in your quote are fine. And hell, what's the big deal if they're not? Just submit another one if they're rejected.
TS is a hardcore rebel.

I'd say use the plato quote from a couple posts up.
"I'm sick of following my dreams man. I'm just ask where they're going, and hook up with them later."
Quote by cokeisbetter
No need to spark an entire debate about teenagers and anti-authoritarianism. The quotes look fine to me. What they mean by "disparaging" would be direct personal attacks or excessive language. The ideas in your quote are fine. And hell, what's the big deal if they're not? Just submit another one if they're rejected.

I didn't want that to happen, although I should have expected it. I only defended myself when anything other than the quotes were brought up. Thank you for your opinion, you actually answered my question.
Quote by Seventeen
How so? I never said I hated high school and never said nor thought I was the only one who does. Excuse me for using grammar to convey a point.(This really has nothing to do with the main question anyway) My teacher made the quote sheet a homework assignment I'm required to do this. An hour isn't an evening. I don't intend to make a difference, never said I was trying to. Sure the teachers are qualified by the standards set to become a teacher, but by a universal idea of education, not every teacher is.

"much more than you are, or will likely ever be with your attitude"
I read books and research topics that interest me. I'd rather spend a day in a library than in a school. My attitude greatly drives my ambition to learn.

With that, I've decided to use two short quotes.

"Common sense is not so common."
- Voltaire
"Information doesn't kill you."- Frank Zappa

listen, there's a point in time for giving your opinions, this really isn't one of them

if you truly believe in what you believe in, keep it to yourself until the proper time for discussing your thoughts comes. don't brandish your thoughts around like everyone should know at every point in their day. doing this makes you no better than religious folk who do the same.

i like Frank Zappa's quote better tbh.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Waterboy799
listen, there's a point in time for giving your opinions, this really isn't one of them

if you truly believe in what you believe in, keep it to yourself until the proper time for discussing your thoughts comes. don't brandish your thoughts around like everyone should know at every point in their day. doing this makes you no better than religious folk who do the same.

i like Frank Zappa's quote better tbh.

I'm merely following instructions.

Verbatim it reads "In 25 words or less please give a quote to be placed below your senior portrait. It should be something that you live by, that motivates you, or represents who you really are." (The bold is included in the text as well.)
The idea of the flamethrower came when someone said 'you know, I want to set that guy over there on fire, but I am not close enough to get the job done' - George Carlin

It isn't exact but it pwnz.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by Seventeen

you do not have freedom of speech while in a school system
Quote by carmel_l
Frenchy's red.
Finally, true communism will ensue.
I think
E-Married to the very beautiful Epic_Cleavage also soon to be married to Epic_Cleavage, aka the beautiful Ms. Joanna Moore
The quotes are fine. They're what you live by, I know it best.

So what if his thoughts mirror those of the stereotypical teenager? You're just being even more of a dick making the stereotype clear rather than letting him have his own thoughts to live by.

P.S. I'm a womanfolk! : )
sraeb

Quote by Trefellin
Show me your erection or gtfo... please.
Page 1 of 2