Hi and thanks to all responses in advance. I just got my first nice acoustic and would like to get your advise on the best way to store it. Right now its on a string swing above a heat vent which admitedly is probably not the best place to store it, however space is kind of limited. I'm keeping it stored in a gig bag in hopes this will provide some protection but want to know if this will protect it or not. Should I get a floor stand or a hard case. If I get a case, is the best way to store it standing or laying down. I know this sounds like a prettly lame newbie question but thanks again for all your answers.
I'd move it away from the heat vent - the temperature as well as the moisture (or lack thereof) could damage the guitar. If you do keep it there you'll probably need a humidifier at some point in the near future. I keep my guitars on wall hangers, but they're out of the way of traffic and air vents. If space is at a premium you might consider keeping it in a hardcase under a bed - something else I do depending on the situation.
I store mine upstairs with the case open with my humidifier in it.
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
in a hard case away from heat vents and windows. with a humidifier during the winter if it's dry where you live.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Quote by about
in a hard case away from heat vents and windows. with a humidifier during the winter if it's dry where you live.

Agreed. Keep it far away from air vents.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
If space is limited get the hard case, it sucks when your doing something else and the guitar just drops and there are chips or what ever on it.
Agree with the above 2 posts.

If theres any chance it could be damaged by pets, children etc then its probably not a good idea to leave it on a stand. If thats not an issue then it may be ok to leave it on a stand depending on the environment where it is to be kept.