Page 1 of 2
ok so for english i have to write a persuasive essay on whether or not the drinking age should be changed from 21 to 18 and, of course, im for the drinking age to be lowered. now, we have to have to find an arguement against my opinion, so i need ideas on different opinions and rebutes to those opinions. any takers? thanks!
- You can join the military and kill a man before you can legally have a beer
- It only provokes younger teens into drinking because they think it'll make them look hard and rebellious
- They're going to get it anyway
wow i think every high schooler in america had to write an essay on that.. if i were you i would google the question and im pretty sure you could find a lot of arguments that way
No Such Thing As An Intelligent Conversation In The Pit

prepare for the most fapping references you will ever see in your life
As a great friend of mine once said, "If you're able to go overseas and throw a grenade, you should be able to come home and throw back some tequila."
Her friends are gazing on her,
And on her gaudy bier,
And weep!-oh! to dishonor
Dead beauty with a tear!
They loved her for her wealth-
And they hated her for her pride-
But she grew in feeble health,
And they love her-that she died.
If 12 year olds can get a hold of alcohol now, when the legal age is 18
its gonna be the same for 18 year olds if its moved up to 21
its so easy to get a hold of alcohol
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
There is much less violence/binge drinking in countries where drinking in moderation is culturally acceptable from a young age, e.g. france, germany.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
The fact that your post contains no capitalization and "LOL" immediately disqualifies it from being "intelligent conversation."

To answer your question, I'm 22 and couldn't care less what the drinking age is.

Quote by SenseS FaiL
wow i think every high schooler in america had to write an essay on that.. if i were you i would google the question and im pretty sure you could find a lot of arguments that way

Not me. We wrote about why prostitution should be legalized. Had I actually bothered to do that report, I would have gone the George Carlin route: "Selling is legal, fucking is legal, so why isn't selling fucking legal?"
You're*
Quote by smartguyreviews
No Such Thing As An Intelligent Conversation In The Pit

Caps lock much?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
if you let people drink the same time you let them drive, trouble may ensue
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
If 18ers can serve in the military and vote, we should be allowed to drown our sorrows.

If you think about it, it can give parents a chance to teach their kids responsible drinking. Some teens start drinking in high school, but more begin during college and away from home. Not only will this put more responsibility on the parents, but it can help clean up college campuses. Yes there will still be large parties, but at least it gives people a chance to learn to drink responsibly.

edit: Btw, I'm 19 and live in Michigan and I heard that this issue is up for vote in November, but I can't find anything to validate it. Can anyone in Michigan help me?
Last edited by dudius at Oct 15, 2008,
How about drunk driving statistics go through the roof with a lower drinking age? They raised it for a reason.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
You can choose you leader but not your lager
The government is not in the business of protecting adults from themselves.
You can't stop them drinking but if they do it legally it can be monitored.
Lowering the drinking age encourages less binge drinking and more social drinking
Quote by stradivari310
How about drunk driving statistics go through the roof with a lower drinking age? They raised it for a reason.

Through effective education and advertising drink driving carries a huge stigma amoung under 25s in Ireland. Most would never dream of getting behind the wheel of a car with a drink in them, and if they did their friends are liable to shun them and think that they're assholes. Effective policing also helps.
This had the result that young people in Ireland are less likely to drink drive than older people who haven't been brought up in a culture where it is unacceptable.

Banning it is a lazy option
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Oct 15, 2008,
You can drive a 2 ton giant metal deathtrap down the road at 90mph towards the terrified public before you can have a teeny weeny sip of alcohol.

But I'm being dramatic.
Quote by Survivalism
The fact that your post contains no capitalization and "LOL" immediately disqualifies it from being "intelligent conversation."

To answer your question, I'm 22 and couldn't care less what the drinking age is.

+1

except for the 22 part, i mean once you're in college it doesn't matter since everyone drinks i guess you could say that, heck i got a nice bottle of jack daniels sitting in my closet for the long winters in central new york...
Quote by dudius
If 18ers can serve in the military and vote, we should be allowed to drown our sorrows.

If you think about it, it can give parents a chance to teach their kids responsible drinking. Some teens start drinking in high school, but more begin during college and away from home. Not only will this put more responsibility on the parents, but it can help clean up college campuses. Yes there will still be large parties, but at least it gives people a chance to learn to drink responsibly.

very true. i agree strongly with you
I like how YOU CAN DIEZ IN TEH MILITARY BUT YOU CANT HAVE BEER is the only argument for lowering drinking age. I don't know if you checked recently but the military is voluntary and most 18 year olds are not in it.

Lower drinking ages work in Europe because they have a wayyyyyyyy better public transportation system than the one in the USA.
Quote by Chobes
I like how YOU CAN DIEZ IN TEH MILITARY BUT YOU CANT HAVE BEER is the only argument for lowering drinking age. I don't know if you checked recently but the military is voluntary and most 18 year olds are not in it.

Lower drinking ages work in Europe because they have a wayyyyyyyy better public transportation system than the one in the USA.

There is no public transport in the town where I grew up, and many people live miles from the pub.

In the city where my Uni is (Dublin) the public transport doesn;t even compare with the US (I've been there). After 11:30 there are only two buses back to the Uni, both before the clubs close so they're useless. We just have to shell out for taxies, or, more frequently, walk the 5/10 miles.

if you want to go out in either place you have to be prepared to either
1) Sleeps at a friends house
2) Bring a designated driver
3) Walk
4) Pay for a taxi, thereby not drinking as much
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Oct 15, 2008,
we have a german student and the age is 16 there and he is 16 so he said that at a a bonfire and so on he could have a beer or two but ppl didnt binge or anything because they werent doing it for rebelion but just have a drink here and there but here ppl rebel and go overboard and that leads to death IE alcohol posining, also if you can go and kill a man and be enlisted at 18 then there is no reason why u cant drink, and they say that the age is 21 cause the body can handle it well at 18 but then the body cant handle battle wounds well either and thats my thoughts
Quote by Chobes

true enough, but rural areas don't really work with public transit.

i live in an area that's very good with taxis, buses and police. the cops will pull you over for any little thing after 11pm, even something as small as not using your turn signal.
Quote by ceske
One of the reasons the age is set at 21 is because your brain doesn't stop developing until then.

Also, the age was 18 at one point. It was changed for a reason.

The age is 18 in most places.

Your brain never stops developing. That's just a myth.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
I think asking a group of underaged kids about the legal drinking age is not gonna give you much wide view on the topic...

But who am i to say... I just listen to Tool all day!
if i can go out fight for my country and come back to a sack of ingrates in my own country
i deserve to drink my troubles away
alcaholism ftw!
Dick+strings= owww
the legal age here in nz has been 18 for quite some time now and binge drinking went up 600% huray

in the wise words of my mates dad "when your friends come in with a couple of bottles of spirits under there arms each its not a quiet drinks its a binge piss up"
ok, so, from what i see people are posting about arguments in your favor, and you said youw ant arguaments against you.

1. after the vietnam war, they did try to lower it, and it was loweerd, what happened was that the drunk driving accidents went through the roof.

2. Binge drinking is becoming such a big part of colleeg life, and only a about a quarter of college students can get alcohol legally,
so if the age is lowered to 18, binge drinking in college is sure to go up.
also, it will make it more accesable to highschool students, which will then make binge drinking more prominent in highschool as well

3. Americans cant handle the concept of accepted drinking at a young age, the mentallity it just not there, i'm sure there are some who can, but most can't. it's not as relaxed a place as germany or europe, everything is made to be a lot bigger than it is in america.

so germany has succeeded in having a lower drinking age of 16, but that's only because they are more relaxed about a lot of things, and drinking is not a "ley let's get wasted"type of thing.
Quote by Survivalism

Not me. We wrote about why prostitution should be legalized. Had I actually bothered to do that report, I would have gone the George Carlin route: "Selling is legal, fucking is legal, so why isn't selling fucking legal?"

You pretty much just wrote a post with no corrolation (sp?) to my original post, you just bashed my title. It's called shorthand mother****er. Everybody on here can be a dick about typing, but it's just a form of typing used by the common person. It does not show knowledge level, it does not show that we users of a common and understandable language among the common people cannot have a intelligent conversation. Also, my original question was something along the lines of: "Can I get some opinions on the topic and their rebutes." Therefore, your answer has nothing to do with the question. Thanks for being "intelligent" you prick.
Last edited by kauff at Oct 15, 2008,
Quote by ceske
One of the reasons the age is set at 21 is because your brain doesn't stop developing until then.

Also, the age was 18 at one point. It was changed for a reason.

Many people believe that doing much drinking is bad for the development of your brain up to 25 (you can't rent a car til you're 25 for the same reason)

But binge drinking/ drinking enough to get drunk is what's slowing/stopping development. Like someone else said, having a beer or two is one thing, but it's how people get "college drunk" that ruins it for everyone else.

During the Vietnam War the drinking age was lowered to 18 because "if you can be drafted and forced into the military, you can drink". Unfortunately many soldiers came back with emotional scars and became alcoholics, so it only took about 7 years for all of the states to revert back to 21.

I still think that education can really help our society though. Let the parents teach kids to drink, I know when I have a son I would rather buy his first drink than have him get his at some frat party.
Here's something to try and refute, studies show that the brain isn't done forming until roughly 21. You can google that if you'd like. If you're going to make an argument to change a law, you are going to have to refute evidence that show's why 21 is a bad age, not merely speculate on hypothetical situations of what it could be like if the drinking age is lowered.

If you really think about it, if the drinking age is lowered back to 18, that only means there's more idiots to buy beer for other underage idiots. As if our nation needs any more help being idiotic. Somehow I don't think more drinking, and trust me I love beer, ask any of my friends, is the answer. Learning to responsibly drink is what's necessary first before this country will ever lower the drinking age.

Please fap away, I expect a crap load of rejections and arguments. Enjoy this little morsel of law-abiding morality....
Quote by fade177
Here's something to try and refute, studies show that the brain isn't done forming until roughly 21. You can google that if you'd like. If you're going to make an argument to change a law, you are going to have to refute evidence that show's why 21 is a bad age, not merely speculate on hypothetical situations of what it could be like if the drinking age is lowered.

If you really think about it, if the drinking age is lowered back to 18, that only means there's more idiots to buy beer for other underage idiots. As if our nation needs any more help being idiotic. Somehow I don't think more drinking, and trust me I love beer, ask any of my friends, is the answer. Learning to responsibly drink is what's necessary first before this country will ever lower the drinking age.

Please fap away, I expect a crap load of rejections and arguments. Enjoy this little morsel of law-abiding morality....

Though I have a different stance, I appreciate your opinion.
Quote by Metabolic575
ok, so, from what i see people are posting about arguments in your favor, and you said youw ant arguaments against you.

1. after the vietnam war, they did try to lower it, and it was loweerd, what happened was that the drunk driving accidents went through the roof.

Correlation =/= Causation
It's a lame argument anyway, education is the key to stopping drunk driving, not prohibition.
Old people are just as likely to DUI, In Ireland they're more likely.

2. Binge drinking is becoming such a big part of colleeg life, and only a about a quarter of college students can get alcohol legally,
so if the age is lowered to 18, binge drinking in college is sure to go up.
also, it will make it more accesable to highschool students, which will then make binge drinking more prominent in highschool as well

There is no evidence to suggest that. Binge drinking is a part of college life in pretty much every country and form what I've heard from Americans staying in my Uni the culture is better here because we go out to clubs which means we can't get too drunk before going and we can't get too drunk while there.

3. Americans cant handle the concept of accepted drinking at a young age, the mentallity it just not there, i'm sure there are some who can, but most can't. it's not as relaxed a place as germany or europe, everything is made to be a lot bigger than it is in america.

That's not even a point. Lots of things are bigger in America anyway (food portions and cars being an obvious example). Ever consider that Europe has a more relaxed attitude to drinking because of its low drinking age.
so germany has succeeded in having a lower drinking age of 16, but that's only because they are more relaxed about a lot of things, and drinking is not a "ley let's get wasted"type of thing.

A lower drinking age encourages less "let's get wasted" drinking and more social drinking as the drinking takes place in a healthier social setting where there are older and more experienced people around.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
^ to help this guy's last point, imagine if 14 were the drinking age and you happen to be 14. you go to a wedding reception with your family and get drunk off your ass. now, what are your parents going to do about it? you're gonna get grounded, no booze or video games or tv for a month.

or perhaps you're a good kid who would rather drink responsibly around your family and not embarrass yourself. either way, you're more likely to learn healthy habits with your family than with a group of 200 people who all want you to do a kegstand so you can fit in.
Quote by fade177
Here's something to try and refute, studies show that the brain isn't done forming until roughly 21.

That's a myth. Your brain never stops developing.

Abusing large quantities of alcohol is damaging at any age.
There is no evidence to suggest that moderate drinking is significantly more damaging to over 18s
(Hanson, David J. Preventing Alcohol Abuse: Alcohol, Culture, and Control. Westport, CT: Praeger, 1995; Heath, Dwight (Ed.) International Handbook on Alcohol and Culture. Westport, CT: Grenwood, 1995.)
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
ok now does anybody know how to fit a core democratic value into the arguement?
- Less binging because people can casually have a beer and they won't feel the need to get bombed and DIE of alcohol poisoning.

I had to do the same essay.
Quote by heaven's gate
No. 21 is a good drinking age.

Way to back up your assertions there Sherlock.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Any prospect of this being an Intelligent conversation was lost when
1.) it was posted in the pit
2.) the post ends in "lol."

Anyways, I'm all for the drinking age being lowered, it would cut millions of dollars used to enforce underage drinking laws.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Page 1 of 2