Page 1 of 3
List your favorite bass guitar manufacturers here. You can list as many as you want and, if you could, explain why they are you're favorite. Any kind of manufacturer is fine, even if it's a low-profile custom shop or you yourself. Here are mine (in order):

1) Fender - To me, these are just the best basses. Period.
2) Peavey - They have great electric basses for every type of bass player and every budget. Most of their stuff is low-to-middle-end gear, but once you get to their Cirrus line and their Custom Shop, you're talking about amazing basses.
3) Gibson - They may not have many basses, but the ones they do have are of amazing quality. They may not be for everyone, and they by no means fit every genre, but they are amazing-quality basses nonetheless and I like them because they're so different (especially the Les Paul bass, which is now sadly discontinued).
4) Martin - The best and only acoustic basses I've ever played. I'm not an acoustic guy, really, but I always love to mess around with them because they are so different than electrics, and Martin's basses are amazing and get good reviews. Also, I'm a vintage buff and I always love old stuff, especially the "original" or "first of" companies. That's why the next bass I want is either the Martin EB-18 or EB-28, the only 2 electric basses Martin ever made (even though they will be hard to get), because in my mind Martin is the oldest guitar/bass company still standing (at least I think) and I just NEED to have the only electric basses made by this company, especially since they are rare and are apparently really good.
5) Epiphone - I know Epiphone in most people's minds is the "Squier" of Gibson. First of all, yes I would agree, but Epiphones have a much better quality than Squier's. And, second of all, some Epiphones are actually amazing and have nothing to do with copying a Gibson, such as the Embassy basses. They're not the best, but I give them credit and can fit most people's budget.
6) Gretsch - Another "old-time" vintage company that I love. Their basses are so unique and original, and I don't know any other manufacturers that make the same types of basses that Gretsch does. They have the best assortment of hollow-bodies electrics and, not to mention, the Billy-Bo Jupiter Thunderbird, which is probably my favorite whacky bass body out there.
7) G&L - I just added this is in recently because I've been playing them at my local music shop and found out that they kick ass!! I never knew about them until now, and I know why some of you guys picked them. Excellent quality and sound.
8) Yamaha - I've always loved Yamaha, mostly because they manufacture almost every instrument out there and get praised for each one. It was only recently that I began trying out Yamaha basses, though, and I realized why people like John Myung and Billy Sheehan use them. They feel really nice and have great tones, and a lot of them are really good for playing fast and doing a lot of melodic stuff (especially on 6 string models). Definitely my first choice if I were to get a 6-string (except maybe with a little competition from the Peavey Cirrus 6 strings).
9) Aria - Not really known to many people, but I realized how great they were after playing one and hearing about how Cliff Burton always used to play one. Now I really want the model his bass was based off of because it's just crazy. I also hear they have fine instruments in all categories so overall they're just a great company (out of Japan).
10) ESP - ESP is known to make the best of the best but for the highest prices. They're standard models are extremely impressive, even if most of them have a nudge towards metal (which I love so it isn't a problem), and they're custom shop can literally make anything, even copying other companies. I love ESP and hope to own one in the near future.

EDIT: I have taken tallys so far of what everyone picked as their favorite bass manufacturers and put them in order of what had the most "votes". I will try to keep these updated as more posts come in. Here they are so far:

Fender- 26
Ibanez- 20
EB MusicMan- 18
Warwick- 17
Rickenbacker- 8
Squier- 8
Spector- 6
Schechter- 6
Traben- 5
G&L- 5
ESP- 4
Epiphone- 4
Lakland- 4
Peavey- 4
Yamaha- 3
PRS- 2
Other/Custom- 2
Aria- 1
Gibson- 1
Martin- 1
Gretsch- 1
Overwater- 1
Wal- 1
Pedulla- 1
Drozd- 1
Tobias- 1
F-Bass- 1
Fodera- 1
Alembic- 1
B&K- 1
Carl Thompson- 1
Bacchus- 1
Moon- 1
Conklin- 1
Cort- 1
Johnson- 1
Carvin- 1
"Yourself"- 1
Last edited by maidenforce19 at Feb 20, 2009,
and squires are far better then epiphones, some may even argue them being better then gibson
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.
How Gibson made # 3 I'll never know.

EDIT I just reread you TS.

How can you say Epiphone out preforms Squire in the bass world? Sure, Squire guitars are shit but thier bass line is (esp the VM) are good instruments while Ephiphones are rancid dog shit.
Last edited by Bathory fan at Oct 15, 2008,
Quote by maidenforce19
As in good, or bad?

Bad. Thats in my opinion at least. Some swear by them.
but i have played both and theyre not my style.
1. fender - I 'm a complete fender nut ,so whadda ya expect.
2. Ernie ball- I'm a guitarest so i don't know much about basses, but i think these play well
3. Traben & peavey- A tie. i just think these look cool, I've actually never played one.
GUITARS:
Fender Strat w/ Seymour duncans
Agile Explorer w, SD livewire metal
Fender Telecaster w/ hot rail

PEDALBOARD:
Boss chromatic tuner
Ibanez weeping demon
*Digitech Whammy*
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by ibanezguitarkid at Oct 15, 2008,
spector, warwick, ric and ibanez should be in there somewhere
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.
Quote by cwl
Bad. Thats in my opinion at least. Some swear by them.
but i have played both and theyre not my style.

I know a lot of people hate them, but a select few like them, like myself. I play mostly metal, which Gibsons are terrible for, but when I'm not playing metal and playing classic stuff, Gibsons actually sound really nice. For clarification, I don't really like Thunderbirds. But, the Les Paul bass and the SG Reissue bass I love.
1) Warwick. They coo' foo'.
2) Overwater. Sexy ass basses for a sexy ass price.
3) Wal. Electrical innovation and well though out design (that I ripped off) provide me with warm feelings in my tummy.
4) Me - I'm awesome, and my pickups will be awesome. As will my bass when I've finally got it back.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by rambelpalsis

MY favorites. I know about a lot of good bass manufacturers and their great lines of basses, and there are a lot of them, so why would I mention all of them? I wanted to stick to my top 5, but I had to add in Martin even though they're only really acoustic basses.
Quote by rambelpalsis

i agree ibenez makes some amazing basses and even there starter series are pretty good for the money and spectors well there basically better than sex(not really cuz sex is pretty good, but you get the point)
Embassy basses got discontinued apparently, or so they say on the site. But I do like the Epi Jack Cassidy and Allen Woody basses. They look awesome, and at least the Cassady one sounds cool too. I like Squiers, especially the Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe '50s bass, which has an "original" P-bass pickup, like in the Sting sig. And the VM Jazz has such a nice, bright sound, even on cheap amps and such. I also like Ed Roman's Foundation bass, which is a replica of Entwhistle's white lightning bolt bass. Even just looking at it is amazing, just imagine how it would play.
Quote by cwl
how many of those brands basses have you played?

Absolutely none of them. Lol I've obviously played all of them. I have my opinions and you can have yours. I own a Fender Mike Dirnt Signature P-Bass that I've modded and added Steve Harris flatwounds to (cause I can't stand Green Day now), and I own a Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio. I've played Gibson Les Paul and SG basses many times in stores and was considering buying one before I got my Peavey. I never considered buying Gretsch's or Martin's, but I always play these first when I can in stores because they sound really good and I love how they feel and their tones. And then, as I mentioned above, I just think Epiphones are good for everyone cause they have really shitty basses for a low budget and really good ones that don't have anything to do with Gibson for a higher budget.
I've been a big fan of Fender's works since I started playing. I only own a Squire P Bass and J Bass and I enjoy them quite thoroughly. I've played many other models of Fender's basses in stores and I wouldn't mind calling them my favorite. There was once an acoustic bass at a Guitar Center near me running at about $800 and if I had the money I would not have hesitated to buy it right then and there. Despite the Squire being the low-end name, I've found them to be an amazing deal for the price.

Ibanez, lately, have been growing on me very well. I've been playing around with the 5-Strings at a Sam Ash and at another Guitar Center and am actually currently deciding whether to buy one or a Jam man. To me, the action is absolutely fantastic and the low B strings have sounded much more clear compared to the inaudible Bstrings of other 5-strings I've played. They've also got a nice light and almost smaller body that I find very comfortable while tapping.

Warwick is always a joy to play with whenever I visit a store. There's something about them that is just so comfortable and almost magnetic in keeping me glued to the stool just playing. If I had the money, I'd have one already.
Warwick- Not afraid of innovation and coming into the modern world. Great basses, great feel, great sound.

Spector- Classic, but modern. These puppies have a pop to their sound that no one can match and a look that is priceless.

Schecter- My next bass. Great budget basses for the beginners to the pros all in the same line. The stiletto series delivers an amazing amount of punch, depth, and growl all in one bass for a low price. Not to mention, the wood and quality is beautiful.

Ibanez- Great basses for those who want unmatched versatility and comfort from their basses. I agree that many of their basses are geared towards guitarists switching to bass, but nonetheless, they are great. After I buy my Schecter Stiletto Studio 5, I'm going for an ATK-305.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
*Personal opinion alert!*

As far as I am concerned, these are the *only* bass manufacturers that matter. I actually argue that only Fender and Musicman matter...since the creator of the electric bass designed both...but lets not go there. I will say that I laugh whenever someone buys an $800 bass made in China with either a "J" or "P" pickup.

1) Fender. Self explanatory
2) Ernie Ball, the man decided to experiment with great results.
3) Rickenbacker, loads of classics.
4) Warwick, see above.

Everything else I completely disregard. Especially any bass that copies numbers one or two. Those are as relevant to me as a Yamaha Pacifica.
1) Ibanez- the best starter basses, and some of the best midrange basses, with the sickest Limited runs ever. originally a bunch of cheap copies, Ibanez has sprouted into the most powerful contender with Fender for the top spot in bass, and because of some of their stuff, I put them ahead.
2) Fender- the originals, without ol Leo, these bad machines would be out and uprights would be in. and the jazz, especially with active electronics, is a powerful thing to be hold.
3) Warwick- because they feel woody and sound like they wanna go kill something
4) EB Music Man- the Stingray and Sterling are amazing basses. those humbuckers are perfect. for funk, I'd personally want nothing else.
5) G&L- better than a P-bass imo. I love these things. a bass with three USEFUL switches and three great knobs! wow! better than a jag that L-2000.
6) Pedulla/Drozd/Tobias- cuz they look awesome
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Last edited by the humanity at Oct 15, 2008,
EB Music Man
Rickenbacker
Fender
F-Bass
Fedora
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Alembic: i have had the pleasure of playing a Spoiler (4string version) and Elan (5 Srting version)
Musicman: luv da stingray
ESP: they are good
Ibanez: good as well
Damn 08ers not using the searchbar!

Anyhoo..

Squire: First bass I played, still in love with it.

Schecter: The second bass that I bought, mighty fine instrument.

Fender: Well, they help make Squire...so...it's just a given...
Fender
Musicman
Warwick
Ibanez
(no specific order)
Never Missing in Action
Last edited by NeverMIA at Oct 16, 2008,
Quote by Bathory fan
How Gibson made # 3 I'll never know.

EDIT I just reread you TS.

How can you say Epiphone out preforms Squire in the bass world? Sure, Squire guitars are shit but thier bass line is (esp the VM) are good instruments while Ephiphones are rancid dog shit.

AMEN haha
1-Fender:there classics playable and sound great
2-B&K instrumens: my bass teachers company all hand made and not overpriced and all of them that i have heared have sounded great plus he is guiding me through building my own bass
3-Warwick: i have yet to play one but i like what i hear and the buzzards are great looking
4-Traben: amazing sound even on their cheaper models and very light
5-Music Man: i can say im not too impressed with the sterlings but i like the bongos if only i had the money
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass

2-B&K instrumens: my bass teachers company all hand made and not overpriced and all of them that i have heared have sounded great plus he is guiding me through building my own bass

Is this the B&K instruments you're talking about?
I'm a bit of an Ibanez man myself. My ATK400 is pretty much perfection (If only I could find an ATK405 to match!)
1. Fender. For reasons already stated by others.

2. Musicman. To me these are wonderful funk machines and a whole lot more. Leo's other child. Like LesPaulStudio always says, you can't go wrong with what Leo hath created.

3. Spector. I love Spector for their playablity and the slap sound you can get out their mid-higher end basses. I GAS seriously for one of these.

4. Lakland. Classic wonderfulness and wonderful sound.

5. Ibanez. Fast necks, 24 frets and the most amazing value for well constructed and great sounding basses.

Extra credit:

6. Carl Thompson. I finally got to play one today. Oh my goodness. Very fast neck, well balanced. I love the way they look. They sound wonderful even through a practice Hartke amp. I only wish I had 2800 USD in disposable cash right now....
Quote by anarkee
1. Fender. For reasons already stated by others.

2. Musicman. To me these are wonderful funk machines and a whole lot more. Leo's other child. Like LesPaulStudio always says, you can't go wrong with what Leo hath created.

3. Spector. I love Spector for their playablity and the slap sound you can get out their mid-higher end basses. I GAS seriously for one of these.

4. Lakland. Classic wonderfulness and wonderful sound.

5. Ibanez. Fast necks, 24 frets and the most amazing value for well constructed and great sounding basses.

Extra credit:

6. Carl Thompson. I finally got to play one today. Oh my goodness. Very fast neck, well balanced. I love the way they look. They sound wonderful even through a practice Hartke amp. I only wish I had 2800 USD in disposable cash right now....

What does GAS mean?
Quote by Windfall32
What does GAS mean?

Goest
Aggravates
Supermods

or

Guitar Acquisition Syndrome
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
MusicMan did'nt make your list? What is wrong with you?!

1. Musicman, I less than three them.
2. Fender, great bass with not enough frets.
3. Squire, mhmm.
4. Rickenbacker
5. I dont have a fifth favourite, sorry!
You stole my Overture
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Warwick- Not afraid of innovation and coming into the modern world. Great basses, great feel, great sound.

Spector- Classic, but modern. These puppies have a pop to their sound that no one can match and a look that is priceless.

Schecter- My next bass. Great budget basses for the beginners to the pros all in the same line. The stiletto series delivers an amazing amount of punch, depth, and growl all in one bass for a low price. Not to mention, the wood and quality is beautiful.

Ibanez- Great basses for those who want unmatched versatility and comfort from their basses. I agree that many of their basses are geared towards guitarists switching to bass, but nonetheless, they are great. After I buy my Schecter Stiletto Studio 5, I'm going for an ATK-305.

Holy s***, we have the exact same taste in basses! Honestly, spector would be the be all and end all for me if their basses had soundgear style necks. I know I never shut up about either of those things, but seriously, if you combined them into one bass... I'm having trouble coming up with a ridiculous hyperbole to describe the outcome, but it would be really, really cool
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Page 1 of 3