Page 1 of 2
Okay, so I just got my Decimator in the mail. Really excited to hear it in action so I immediately tear open the box, take out the pedal, and plug it in. I decided just to keep it simple at first, with no effects. So I have it setup like this:

Guitar>Decimator>Amp

I switch it to a high gain channel and turn up the volume until I get plenty of hum coming form the amp. So I press down on the Decimator, the little red light goes on and... Nothing. Sounds exactly the same. Hum and all. I moved the knob back and forth from 0-100. Nothing. Not even a slight little change. The tone stays exactly the same (which it should) and all the noise stays EXACTLY the same.

What the hell? What am I doing wrong? I currently have nothing plugged into the effects loop. Just my guitar staight into the Decimator which is straight into the amp. That's it.

I'm using a Gibson Shred-X Explorer w/ EMG 85s running to a Mesa Boogie Roadster 212 Combo.

So what's the deal? Is my brand new pedal seriously effed? Or am I just a retard who has no idea what the hell I'm doing? <--- rhetorical question
Put the pedal in the effects loop.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I think it is suppose to go in the fx-loop.
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Schecter Gryphon w/ Tone Zone & PAF Pro
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Eminence Texas Heat
Line 6 Space Chorus
Marshall Echohead
Morley Power Wah Volume
BOSS MT-2
Vox Satchurator
Quote by Kevin Saale

this

nice setup tho Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifiers FTW!
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
How do you expect to cut hum out of the amp if the pedal isn't in a position to receive the signal with hum? Put the pedal in the effects loop, and RTFM next time.
Quote by Kevin Saale

So you're telling me that the G-String ONLY works if I have it in the effects loop as well? I can't just use it like the regular Decimator just in front of the amp?... Well that's lame. I don't have enough cables for that yet... Guess I'm going shopping.

Quote by 6_Feet_Below
nice setup tho Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifiers FTW!

Yes, Triple Recs are sweet. Too bad the Roadster is only a Dual Rec. Oh well, it's still pretty sweet. :p
Well, yeah, the guitar isn't making the noise, it's the amp.
I had the same problem (not witht he G-string, just the normal). I thought it was defective, so I returned it. I had the same problem with the replacement unit as well. I'm just going to try my luck on the rack version in a few weeks. For now, the TCE g major noise gate works beautifully.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by Nightfyre
How do you expect to cut hum out of the amp if the pedal isn't in a position to receive the signal with hum? Put the pedal in the effects loop, and RTFM next time.

Oh, you mean that piece of folded paper with the pretty pictures on it? Here's the extent of what it tells you. Put in battery, plug in cables, turn on, adjust threshold to taste. Oh, and there's something about a warranty in there too. So, with all that being what I would consider vague at best I figured I'd just plug it in based on how I thought people explained to do it. I didn't plug it into the effects loops because I figured I could use it without since the the other Decimator apparently works without a loop. So I was wrong. Thanks for being a dick about it though.

Quote by Kevin Saale
Well, yeah, the guitar isn't making the noise, it's the amp.

Yeah, that does make sense. That's what I would have done originally except people are always saying to put it in front of your amp. Which in hindsight doesn't make any sense since as you said it's the amp making the noise, not the guitar. But since I've never had any experience with noise suppressors before I figured I'd just do as instructed. Apparently I misunderstood what was instructed.

Anyway, thanks for the help all. Works beautifully now. Only one slight problem though. It completely cuts off the reverb from my amp. I'm assuming that the only way to rectify this is to get myself a nice Reverb pedal and throw it in the effects loop, yes?

Also, when I have the Decimator plugged in and the FX Loop turned ON there seems to be a noticeable drop in volume, even when the Decimator is turned OFF. Not a huge deal since I can just crank the volume a bit, but I'm just curious... Could this be due to bad cables (used some old crappy ones to test this out), or is it just the nature of the beast?
Possibly the cables, are you sure the output on the fxloop is turned up all the way? Glad to hear you got it working.
Quick question: Doesn't the regular Decimator go in front of the amp, though?
O O

___
Ehh, I don't think so. Noise gates/reducers in general work better in the fx loop since they will tame the noise in everything before them (guitar, preamp, pedal in the fx loop)
Quote by Kevin Saale
Possibly the cables, are you sure the output on the fxloop is turned up all the way? Glad to hear you got it working.

Bingo. Totally forgot about the FX Send Level knob on teh back of the amp. That'll probably do the trick. Thanks! Strange I didn't notice the volume drop when I only had my delay plugged in though...

Quote by TheBax
Quick question: Doesn't the regular Decimator go in front of the amp, though?

Yeah, that's what I originally thought too. Hence my initial confusion and near freak out.
You must have your G-string on backwards.

Try the effects loop.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
My Decimator works fine in front of the amp actually. Maybe its my pups or something along those lines?

Although when I talked to my instructor he was surprised I wanted it in the FX Loop (when I first talked to him about it).
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
The G-string can go both in front of the amp and in the loop. That's the point of it..
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
SOLUTION HERE::

I finally discovered it

It works better in the FX loop but if you dont wanna then this is what u need to do.

PLUG your guitar into "GUITAR IN"

ATTACH a lead from "DEC OUT" into the AMP

ATTACH a patch lead from "GUITAR OUT" into "DEC IN"

Keep in mind however, that you'll get rid of the squealies using this method but there'll still be a hum, unlike if you do it through the fx loop

(took me 3 months to work out)
Quote by Kevin Saale
Noise gates/reducers in general work better in the fx loop since they will tame the noise in everything before them (guitar, preamp, pedal in the fx loop)

So are you telling me that the Decimator should be LAST in my effects loop? AFTER all my pedals? Because when I put it after all of my pedals it just cuts all the effects dead instantly when I stop playing (such as delay for example). The only way I could get my delay to fade properly was by putting the Decimator as the first pedal in the FX Loop. This way it cut the hum from the amp, but I still got full effect from my delay. However, with the other pedals in the loop with the Decimator (even when off and bypass active) now it not only has a slight volume drop, but it seems to suck some of my high end tone too. I thought the Decimator wasn't supposed to suck any tone???

Another question for anyone who may know. I tried putting my Digitech JamMan Looper/Phraser into the FX Loop. When I throw it in the Loop (after all the effects, right before the Decimator) my signal goes nearly dead silent. Now, I admit I haven't actually read the manual yet. I didn't have a chance last night, but I plan to today after work. But even still, with the power on and the correct cables properly plugged in at the input and output jacks on the Looper, should the signal not pass through easily and cleanly? For anyone who has a JamMan, is there some sort of "mute" function that I have to disable for the signal to bypass correctly? As before, all suggestions are welcome.
Last edited by Erkekjetter at Oct 16, 2008,
Quote by Erkekjetter
So are you telling me that the Decimator should be LAST in my effects loop? AFTER all my pedals? Because when I put it after all of my pedals it just cuts all the effects dead instantly when I stop playing (such as delay for example). The only way I could get my delay to fade properly was by putting the Decimator as the first pedal in the FX Loop. This way it cut the hum from the amp, but I still got full effect from my delay. However, with the other pedals in the loop with the Decimator (even when off and bypass active) now it not only has a slight volume drop, but it seems to suck some of my high end tone too. I thought the Decimator wasn't supposed to suck any tone???

Another question for anyone who may know. I tried putting my Digitech JamMan Looper/Phraser into the FX Loop. When I throw it in the Loop (after all the effects, right before the Decimator) my signal goes nearly dead silent. Now, I admit I haven't actually read the manual yet. I didn't have a chance last night, but I plan to today after work. But even still, with the power on and the correct cables properly plugged in at the input and output jacks on the Looper, should the signal not pass through easily and cleanly? For anyone who has a JamMan, is there some sort of "mute" function that I have to disable for the signal to bypass correctly? As before, all suggestions are welcome.

No, you should put it before effects in the loop.
Quote by Horlicks
No, you should put it before effects in the loop.

Which, the Decimator or the JamMan?
Quote by mike.h
My Decimator works fine in front of the amp actually. Maybe its my pups or something along those lines?

Although when I talked to my instructor he was surprised I wanted it in the FX Loop (when I first talked to him about it).

I tried it in my FX loop, and it was horrible. I mean, it got rid of noise, but it didn't get rid of feedback at ALL! It hurt my ears... (amp vol was on 4)

It's my pups, though. I've got a twenty foot cable, and i walked out of my room, and there was no feedback at all... so i know the problem.

So, it worked, but it was my guitar making feedback anyways, so mine works better in front of the amp.
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
I tried it in my FX loop, and it was horrible. I mean, it got rid of noise, but it didn't get rid of feedback at ALL! It hurt my ears... (amp vol was on 4)

It's my pups, though. I've got a twenty foot cable, and i walked out of my room, and there was no feedback at all... so i know the problem.

So, it worked, but it was my guitar making feedback anyways, so mine works better in front of the amp.

Duh, you can't expect it to do something you haven't set it to do.
I always get flamed for saying this, but I found that two individual ISP Decimator pedals worked better than one G string. Yes, it's a few dollars more, but being able to control both thresholds individually worked out MUCH better for me. I can dime the post on my 6505 and you can't even tell the amp is on. Success.
Typically modulation, and delay don't add much noise at all, not to the point where a noise reducer would even be necessary. It's usually the overdrive, wah, and EQ that add noise.

I personally run my Decimator in front of the amp, along with the other pedals that belong in front of the amp (wah, overdrive, tuner, GL tripler). Part of the reason is because I run a stereo rig, and I don't want to buy another noise reducer, and it works well as is.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I always get flamed for saying this, but I found that two individual ISP Decimator pedals worked better than one G string. Yes, it's a few dollars more, but being able to control both thresholds individually worked out MUCH better for me. I can dime the post on my 6505 and you can't even tell the amp is on. Success.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saving up for another Decimator for. The G-string should have two thresold knobs to be useful, either that or a 'Threshold Balance' knob.
Quote by Horlicks
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saving up for another Decimator for. The G-string should have two thresold knobs to be useful, either that or a 'Threshold Balance' knob.

Mod it, build more, make dinero!

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Mod it, build more, make dinero!

I can't build worth shit. And I don't want to risk ruining the shiny chrominess
Quote by Horlicks
I can't build worth shit. And I don't want to risk ruining the shiny chrominess

Same here. We're never gonna be loaded entrepeneurs

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
If its making your amp quieter, and you have a tube amp, then it could be seen as good, you can push the tubes a little harder now...
Quote by vitchb
If its making your amp quieter, and you have a tube amp, then it could be seen as good, you can push the tubes a little harder now...

Wow. Excellent point. I never thought of that. This could be an AWESOME "feature" actually. Come to think of it, my JamMan has a knob for Instrument Level input too... So if I dialed to a low enough level on that combined with the volume drop from the Decimator, technically I could crank the amp to 11 and still keep it at a reasonable bedroom level. Of course, if I ever accidentally switched off the FX Loop I'm pretty sure I'd blow the roof off the house... And likely go deaf.
Last edited by Erkekjetter at Oct 17, 2008,
Quote by Erkekjetter
Wow. Excellent point. I never thought of that. This could be an AWESOME "feature" actually. Come to think of it, my JamMan has a knob for Instrument Level input too... So if I dialed to a low enough level on that combined with the volume drop from the Decimator, technically I could crank the amp to 11 and still keep it at a reasonable bedroom level. Of course, if I ever accidentally switched off the FX Loop I'm pretty sure I'd blow the roof off the house... And likely go deaf.

That wouldn't work exactly how you think it might. The Decimator would act only as a master volume.
Quote by Horlicks
That wouldn't work exactly how you think it might. The Decimator would act only as a master volume.

How so?
Quote by Erkekjetter
How so?

It lowers the volume going into the amp, so your amp still isn't getting pushed.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Yes, but the pre-amp signal is going in BEFORE it hit's the Decimator, no? But I could see how this wouldn't have any effect on the post...

But I suppose I would tend to believe you guys. When testing it out I played with the FX Loop on and had the volume drop slightly. Then when I turned off the FX Loop I dropped the master to to give me the same volume level as I was hearing with the FX Loop on and my tone did pretty much sound exactly the same (minus the amp hum of course).

Oh well, not a huge deal really. Point is I just need to turn the volume up a notch higher now with the Decimator in the loop. No biggie. Definitely A LOT more impressed with the thing now that I figured out how to set it up in my chain properly with everything else. Worth every penny.
Last edited by Erkekjetter at Oct 17, 2008,
the only thing is with the threshold set up that high to kill volume, it also kills sustain, but other than that in my experience so far the decimator g string is a great pedal!
Quote by higglor
the only thing is with the threshold set up that high to kill volume, it also kills sustain

The threshold actually has nothing to do with it. It doesn't matter what it's set to. At any level it will have the same amount of volume loss. The Decimator can even be switched off and the volume drop is still there. Just having the Decimator in the FX Loop at all causes it.
So you control the overall volume with the send and return level knobs and not the threshold? Or does the decimator being in the loop just make it more quiet?
Page 1 of 2