Carcassi
Sar
Giuliani
Aguado
Carruli
Tarrega
Villa Lobos

Two pieces, they need to contrast please please help me

thanks to everyone who helped me in my last post : )
Jackson Pc-1
Line 6 Spider III HD 150

I am new to recording, any tips and suggestions are well appreciated check my profile for my original compositions.
V Lobos will contrast stylistically with all the others.
Tarrega too.
Be careful if you choose two from Aguado, Sor, Carcassi and Carulli as they are all late classical/early romantic composers, so if chosen you'd need to make sure the pieces contrasted in form etc.

But really, if you need such advice you probably aren't ready to do the works justice in any event. I'm late to the thread/situation, but who is asking you to perform works about which you know next to nothing? IMO it's not a responsible position for any educator to put you in.
Actually, in terms of the works being studies all you might have to do is find two that address different technical issues. The choice ought then to be reasonably obvious.

If unfamiliar with the composers etc I'd advise choosing one from Opus 60 by Carcassi. Those pieces are usefull bridge from intermediate levels to beginning of advanced technique.

The V Lobos studies require advanced understanding.

Tarrega also intermediate advanced. He didn't write a method as such, but wrote teaching material tailored for individual pupils.

Sor can range from novice to very advanced. Fantastic resource if used properly

Aguado similar range of levels to Sor but using very different approach to technique.

Carulli "studies" generally beginner to intermediate.

Giulliani educational stuff generally in intermediate range.
Last edited by R.Christie at Oct 15, 2008,
Quote by R.Christie
V Lobos will contrast stylistically with all the others.
Tarrega too.
Be careful if you choose two from Aguado, Sor, Carcassi and Carulli as they are all late classical/early romantic composers, so if chosen you'd need to make sure the pieces contrasted in form etc.

Agreed. Me, personally, I'd go with a Sor and a V Lobos. The V Lobos studies are brutally hard, though. Mind you, some of the Sor ones are not for the advancing intermediate player either.

Quote by R.Christie

But really, if you need such advice you probably aren't ready to do the works justice in any event.

You may well have a very good point there.

Quote by R.Christie

I'm late to the thread/situation, but who is asking you to perform works about which you know next to nothing? IMO it's not a responsible position for any educator to put you in.

I'm guessing that this is for a college music program or something. The point of an audition - particularly at that level - is not to molly-caudle you as a developing young student with potential, but to screen out the wanna-bes from those that have taken the time to learn solid advanced technique and repertoire. I don't think responsible education really has anything to do with it at this exact point. It certainly did in the past in getting the student to the level he/she is at, and will again factor in throughout whatever college program is being offered... only much less so. You really sink or swim on your own merit.

cT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
ive got 4 months to prepare, and yes it is for a college program,
Jackson Pc-1
Line 6 Spider III HD 150

I am new to recording, any tips and suggestions are well appreciated check my profile for my original compositions.
Quote by Tophue
wtf is that just play some ac/dc

You are extremely ignorant. I don't like AC/DC, but I respect that you do. However, dismissing classical music is stupid, most music colleges want classical/jazz/complex rock music. They dont want some guy that smells like beer playing overused blues licks and open chords and calling it a song.

Classical music=win.
To put it in perspective, I have a feeling if you played AC/DC for your audition, they wouldn't even let you finish. If you told them in advance that one of your audition pieces was by AC/DC, they wouldn't even let you come.

I LOVE AC/DC, btw. It's just that it is inappropriate for that level of study.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by Tophue
wtf is that just play some ac/dc

+1111
lmao
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
^ I hope you're laughing at him, not with him, because he just got warned for that post.

Just so you know.

TS - ONE thread on a topic, please. You already received plenty of responses in the other two threads, which are now closed.
Yeah, let's hope so...

CT

sorry i didnt know we werent allowed to joke on these forums forgive me........
It's not that you're not allowed to joke. You just need to remember that we shouldn't be left wondering whether you are joking or not. The text idiom lacks the nuance of expression that we often use for cues about these sorts of things.

CT