Is Guitar Center any good for buying basses? I recently bought a Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio from there and it's really good, but the pickguard has soooo many scratches on it since they just let it sit out all day for people to play on. So I'm ok with it and I'm going to keep it, but for the future should I buy stuff here? I know they have good deals, but I think I only saw 1 bass over the $1,000 price mark (a Warwick) which tells me that they only carry low end basses, which a lot of them are. What are your opinions?
In my experience, most smaller shops sell higher-end stuff, while chains like GC sell more lower-end stuff. One of my local shops, Express Music, has alot of old acoustics, and maybe one or two guitars under $500 or so. They also had a Mesa Triple Rec stack on display, the price alone of that blew me away. So if your looking for something expensive and higher-end, look at your local shops, and not chains in most cases like GC.
Depends on the GC. I would check out everywhere I can go.

edit: GC and chain music stores like Sam Ash are not "lower end instruments" only. I've seen used Ricks at my local GC come and go. Even a green rick. *drools*
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Last edited by CLIFF_BURTON at Oct 15, 2008,
Not at the guitar center by my house. They carry quite a few over $1000. The only problem with the one by my house is that they have few bass amps that are plugged in that are in my price range.
If your buying the floor model I would expect some scratches, but that should bump the price down. If its an issue get them to get you one from the back, just make sure the set up isnt horrible.
Quote by quicksilver25
Not at the guitar center by my house. They carry quite a few over $1000. The only problem with the one by my house is that they have few bass amps that are plugged in that are in my price range.
If your buying the floor model I would expect some scratches, but that should bump the price down. If its an issue get them to get you one from the back, just make sure the set up isnt horrible.

They only had the one out on the floor. I don't really mind it that much, it's just that it doesn't look like I just bought it.

The impression I'm getting from Guitar Center so far is that while they can and do offer some high end basses (whether used or new, although apparently more used), most aren't going to be that expensive and will be geared towards a mid-range budget, under $1000 or close to it, along with low-end. The one exception, though, are Gibsons because apparently Gibson isn't shipping any more of their guitars/basses to a lot of small local stores and will only sell them at chains or really successful independent stores. Everyone I know with a Gibson got it from Guitar Center, except my Dad who got a Les Paul Standard from our local store before Gibson made this rule.
I love mt GC i get everythign at a great deal adn nothing but great experiences with them. and ive learned alot from them, but depends on th GC like everyone says
Try adding more delay.
Theres so many freaking guitar center threads these days. I move for an Only Guitar Center thread
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Well if anyone lives in Pennsylvania, the only 2 Guitar Centers near me are the ones in Oxford Valley and Plymouth Meeting. I've only been to the Oxford Valley one twice when my Dad bought (and later returned) a Fender Strat there, but that was a while ago. However, I remember it being really big and I hear online that it has a better selection. Plymouth Meeting, on the other hand, I've been to a bunch of times and is kind of small for a Guitar Center, but it's the closest to me. This is where I got my Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio.
if you just ask you dont HAVE to buy the "floor" model, though its not like they offer you another they figure if you like the one you tried you should have the one you want...cause the floor models can be haggled and had for less

but otherwise yea the floor is a disappointment, teh one i go to is across the street from a McDonalds and its like ritual for people to eat there then go to GC with greasy fingers without an intent to buy anything but play a $1000+ bass/guitar....i always wash my hands 1st thing, and ask for a model "in the box" if they dont have it i pay a little extra to have it ordered...

there was this one time i observed a family that just came in to use thier bathroom but then started browsing a little they had 2 kids under 10 they played tag running into huge amps and turning tuning pegs on everything...sad...later the manager told me he was sweating the whole time....
Last edited by HATe410 at Oct 15, 2008,
Are you sure that the bass doesn't have a plastic film over the pickguard you can remove?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^random, none buying, customers love to peel those off at the GC i frequent...bastards...
Last edited by HATe410 at Oct 16, 2008,
Quote by HATe410
if you just ask you dont HAVE to buy the "floor" model

Not all GC's are like that...at mine, everything they have is out on the floor.
Nope, no sig here.
I love GC. Today I went there because some 16v power tranformer from a piece of recording gear popped (16v transformers are a PITA to find cheap). I bought the gear there over a year ago and I told them that, the guy just opened up a new box and gave me the transformer, and said have a nice day. I have have bought about 4 guitars 3 basses, a couple amps, and lots of recording gear/accesories. I have always had good luck with them. Maybe I just have a good GC near me, but I swear by them. Are you sure there still isn't some plastic shrink wrap over the pickguard making it look scratched? Also I have "bargained" with them on floor models, or scracth and dent kinda stuff. Alot of times they have brand new stuff in the back. If you are unhappy with it, just take it back.
Quote by slaptasticdave
Theres so many freaking guitar center threads these days. I move for an Only Guitar Center thread

I second this opinion.

The basses are fine from Guitar Center. The one I bought my Schecter from sold me the floor model and it only had a few minor scratches that are barely visible.

And on that note, the more I think about it, the more I wonder why people are worried about the finish of the guitar when they buy it...I mean, if it plays good and feels good to you, why should it matter?
Guitarcenter is ok.You just need to find a good salesman.I have seen some of the guitars get abused by kids.Just need to go over what you are buying.Its harder for kids to get their hands on the stuff at smaller shops.JMO