I would like to buy a solid-body electric guitar, and am looking to spend around $200. Right now I just have a old vox guitar that I have been learning on for about a year, and now that I can play pretty decently, I would like to get a real guitar.

I would be playing hard rock in general, stuff from bands like Godsmack, Saosin, Killswitch Engage, Breaking Benjamin, etc. Ideally, I'd like to sound like a cheaper version of the lead guitars from Saosin and Killswitch Engage. I like the crunch that you get from palm muting, would like to have a decent amount of sustain, and something that isn't real hard to do pinch harmonics on. I am playing on a Peavy Transtube 258 EFX and am looking at getting a good distortion pedal for it. I am a drummer first and a guitarist second, so I'm just looking for something I can practice on and play along to songs with.

I have been looking at the ESP EC-50. It has two humbuckers and can handle lower tunings (from what I've read), and you can adjust each pickup separately, which is something I want. Aside from that, I haven't really seen anything that has those specs, but I will be going to a few music stores this weekend. Any recommendations?
Last edited by lpdrummer at Oct 15, 2008,
Honestly, I would suggest you save some more money and get expand your budget a bit. If you're looking for a "real guitar" you should probably be willing to spend at least $4-500. The only guitar you will be able to get for $200 will be equal in quality or worse than what you already have.

Seriously, I'm not bashing you in any way, just wait for a couple more weeks and get some more cash in your guitar fund. Even a really shitty job can get you a hundred bucks a week.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Thats just it though, this is all I can really spend. The guitar I have now was bought at a garage sale around the 70s and has one single coil pickup which buzzes all the time, so really, anything is better. I'm not looking for a guitar that I can take touring or anything, its just so I can learn guitar a little better and have an acceptable sound.
Pretty much have to go used with $200
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by lpdrummer
Thats just it though, this is all I can really spend. The guitar I have now was bought at a garage sale around the 70s and has one single coil pickup which buzzes all the time, so really, anything is better. I'm not looking for a guitar that I can take touring or anything, its just so I can learn guitar a little better and have an acceptable sound.

well go used, and you really should save up, you dont need to be touring to have a guitar thats more than $200.
Quote by lpdrummer
I would like to buy a solid-body electric guitar, and am looking to spend around $200. Right now I just have a old vox guitar that I have been learning on for about a year, and now that I can play pretty decently, I would like to get a real guitar.

I would be playing hard rock in general, stuff from bands like Godsmack, Saosin, Killswitch Engage, Breaking Benjamin, etc. Ideally, I'd like to sound like a cheaper version of the lead guitars from Saosin and Killswitch Engage. I like the crunch that you get from palm muting, would like to have a decent amount of sustain, and something that isn't real hard to do pinch harmonics on. I am playing on a Peavy Transtube 258 EFX and am looking at getting a good distortion pedal for it. I am a drummer first and a guitarist second, so I'm just looking for something I can practice on and play along to songs with.

I have been looking at the ESP EC-50. It has two humbuckers and can handle lower tunings (from what I've read), and you can adjust each pickup separately, which is something I want. Aside from that, I haven't really seen anything that has those specs, but I will be going to a few music stores this weekend. Any recommendations?

Most guitars will have that. And if you want an ESP guitar, go for something a little nicer, the "50" line is as cheap as ESP/LTD gets.

Also you might want to check out Schecter guitars, ive heard lots of good things about them, and they dont get too very expensive.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by MakeItWitChu
Most guitars will have that. And if you want an ESP guitar, go for something a little nicer, the "50" line is as cheap as ESP/LTD gets.

Also you might want to check out Schecter guitars, ive heard lots of good things about them, and they dont get too very expensive.

actually the "10" line is there cheapest, theyre all H/S

TS: if you want something thats not a superstrat you could lool at the ESP LTD F-50 or AX-50

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-AX50-Electric-Guitar?sku=542080
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-F50-Electric-Guitar?sku=516677
the same as those other two, bit looks better in my opinion
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
OK today I tried out an Ibanez GRG 170 and it was pretty good, from what I've read, its a good price for all the features (3 pickups, whammy). As long as I can drop the E string to a D off an on without throwing off the rest of the strings, I think it seems like a reasonable choice.
I'm selling my Jackson DXMG for 250, but I could let it go for 225...its a good option. Awesome neck, stays in tune like a dream, easy to drop tune, etc. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Well, I ended up getting an ESP 1000DX. My friend gave it to me (!).
Needless to say, this was not something I was expecting.
Wow...if you got an LTD 1000 for your $200 budget, you really got a great deal. Grats.