Hi. I have been trying to learn to play guitar for a number of years and usually got frustrated when I couldn't play something and stopped. Well, I have recently gotten the inspiration from various bands and people to start again...sorry, that doesn't have much to do with the subject, but I have a walmart guitar and I'm definitely overdo for an upgrade.

I have been looking into LP guitars catered more towards drop D and C and possibly B and A. I am currently choosing between the Ibanez ART 300 (I really don't like the finish...) and the ESP LTD EC-500. I know the esp kinda has the advantage with emg 81/60 configuration. I know Nick Hipa from AILD plays a custom ibanez art. If I went the Ibanez route I was thinking of possibly getting an ART 100 and getting EMG's but I don't like the absence of fret markers

I know Jeff Ling from Parkway Drive plays and esp eclipse, which isn't that different from the ltd besides price really. They play in drop A and that definitely makes me want to lean to the eclipse.

Sorry it's so long. I appreciate feedback!

P.S. I need a new amp too and I was looking at this kerry king marshall amp here. I know it is smaller but I only play by myself mostly and am in college so I don't need a tube amp or anything. There is a sweet marshall mini stack for about $200 but I probably don't need it

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-Limited-Edition-Kerry-King-MG10KK-10W-1x6-5-Combo-Amp-104818091-i1389168.gc
Quote by zero716
Hi. I have been trying to learn to play guitar for a number of years and usually got frustrated when I couldn't play something and stopped. Well, I have recently gotten the inspiration from various bands and people to start again...sorry, that doesn't have much to do with the subject, but I have a walmart guitar and I'm definitely overdo for an upgrade.

I have been looking into LP guitars catered more towards drop D and C and possibly B and A. I am currently choosing between the Ibanez ART 300 (I really don't like the finish...) and the ESP LTD EC-500. I know the esp kinda has the advantage with emg 81/60 configuration. I know Nick Hipa from AILD plays a custom ibanez art. If I went the Ibanez route I was thinking of possibly getting an ART 100 and getting EMG's but I don't like the absence of fret markers

I know Jeff Ling from Parkway Drive plays and esp eclipse, which isn't that different from the ltd besides price really. They play in drop A and that definitely makes me want to lean to the eclipse.

Sorry it's so long. I appreciate feedback!

P.S. I need a new amp too and I was looking at this kerry king marshall amp here. I know it is smaller but I only play by myself mostly and am in college so I don't need a tube amp or anything. There is a sweet marshall mini stack for about $200 but I probably don't need it

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-Limited-Edition-Kerry-King-MG10KK-10W-1x6-5-Combo-Amp-104818091-i1389168.gc

There's basically no such thing, you can play any tuning if you've got the right strings.
You're*
NO NO NO to the Marshall combo - it is horrible! It is an overpriced solid state piece of crap. Same thing applies to the mini stack - it is basically a bigger version of the combo without KK's signature on it.

As for the guitar, what is your budget? Does it have to be a LP body style or will you settle for something else?
EC-500 is a really good guitar.
If you get the ibanez, you can buy some fret markers for cheap on eBay. It's got dots on the top anyways, and you'll use them more when you play standing up. but it's your call.

I also say NO to the Marshall.
Get a Roland Cube (Mini, 15, 20, 30, or 60. Whichever your vol. capabilities/budget allows.)

If you're on a tight budget, i'd recommend an Agile AL-series. (www.rondomusic.com)
O O

___
Well, I would prefer an LP style. I will probably up the gauge on the strings a tad to sound better with the drop tuning. My budget is under 1k right now (yeah, laugh, haha). Well, the esp ltd is $650 (it is a lot, I know) so I'm probably not going ot buy it til summer or christmas as college is a money black hole The ibanez is $400 I think. I don't know if that helps.

If not those amps, what would you suggest? I just want a decent amp for around $100 that has good distortion and sounds good.
Are the cube 30x's good? I might as well get it if I would consider the 20 (not much more).
I'd recommend the 20 if you're going to be at bedroom levels. I've head the MicroCube is pretty loud, but it's not necessarily the best sound to crank a SS.

I recommend you to look at some Agiles. Prefferably the AL-3000. They're around $400 and pretty good. Most people say they're better than Epi LP Customs.
Link: http://www.rondomusic.com/cgi-rondomusic/sb/productsearch.cgi?storeid=*16d4bc5ed41fe1cd1661fa4eb1
O O

___
Does it have the markers on top? I was not aware of that. I just don't like the finish on the ART 300 I heard ibanez has a couple more ART models coming out, but that they were just delayed til later this fall or winter...I think the ESP would definitely be a good guitar but the two bands are both heavy and that is part of my quandary -_-'
I don't know about the agile. It looks ok but I will probably change the pickups to emg's or something for a better metal sound. I'm still leaning to the esp or changing out the pickups on the ibanez art 100 maybe. I just want fret markers but if they're on the top of the neck... Is the 30 a lot better than the 20 cube?
How about this guitar : http://www.rondomusic.com/product2057.html (Im not sure if you'd like the blue, green maple top coverd one's).

It has fret marker's and active 81/85 EMG pickups for $499, you could also take the pickguard off if you dont like it.

Now for an amp, im not sure but i think that the 30 is just a higher wattage than the 20. i'd try and balance it out, i.e. get an amp that is loud enough with out plugging into a PA system, but also try and get a fairl inexpensive one so you can get a pedal or two, such as distortion or a wah pedal.
Quote by zero716
Are the cube 30x's good? I might as well get it if I would consider the 20 (not much more).

Dont get the 20.... it doesn't have the Rectifier amp model that the 30 has (along with at few others).

30x Models:
ACOUSTIC, BLACK PANEL, BRIT COMBO, TWEED, CLASSIC STACK, METAL STACK,
R-FIER STACK, DYNA AMP

20x Models:
ACOUSTIC, OVERDRIVE, DISTORTION, METAL, METAL STACK, TUBE DRIVE
Last edited by 667 at Oct 16, 2008,
While it's certainly not the only criteria, definitely get a guitar that you like the looks of. There are a bajillion types out there, so just make a list of what you are looking for in features (and quality) - then finalize your decision on how it looks.

Based on your previous posts it sounds like a partial list of things to consider is:
- Body style
- type of pickups
- Fret markers = yes
- General quality (e.g., straight neck, smooth frets, tuners, etc)

After you narrow down the makes and models based on must have features, then you can get to the fun part of checking out the different finishes. Definitely check them out in person though. A lot of pictures don't always convey the beauty or lack thereof of the actual guitar.
I think the Agile Daniel8488 posted, and the Cube 30x would be perfect for you.

And take into consideration what Nalakram said.
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Oct 16, 2008,
The 30x is 30w and the 20x is 20w. The twenty looks like it has some better distortion type effects so I'm kinda leaning toward it unless the metal stack setting will work. I do like that agile but I think you can only buy them on the net as far as I know. The agile is a bit cheaper than the ltd, that's for sure, lol. Do you guys know what pickups would be better for metal? The esp has 81 b / 60 n vs the 81 / 85. I read that the 60's are better for rhythm and the 85's are better for leads...kinda split between the two, haha.
Quote by zero716
The twenty looks like it has some better distortion type effects

Nope. Don't do it. The Rectifier model on the 30x is worth the little bit extra.

You don't lose anything by getting the 30, just gaining.

HA! That was a pun!
Lol, ok. I'm still deciding between pickups...they are both the same wood so I'm kinda at a crossroads there...I just want to know if any of you know which set are better, in your opinions at least.
Ok. I probably will. I just wish I could play it before I bought it is all. There are stores where I can play the esp and ibanez so I'm just leery about buying straight from the net with trying...
They are not exactly a LP body style but have you ever considered a Michael Kelly Patriot? I don't have any personal experience with them but from what I've read they seem to have a pretty good reputation. They are worth checking out.

Same applies to the Agiles. Never played one myself, but people who have played them all seem to be pretty satisfied for the most part.

As for the amp, if you are using a solid state then pickups aren't going to matter that much. Although you will hear a difference between different pickups it won't be enough of a difference to justify spending money on new pickups. Also, EMG (and other active pickups) are designed to push tube amps harder (the preamp in the pickups basically acts in the same manner an OD/boost would). If you are using active pickups through a SS amp then you aren't going to get that "active" tone because there is nothing in the amp for the pickups to push.
dont get emgs please they sound practically the same in every guitar.

active emgs are only good in specifically voiced tube amps

and cleans are very weak.

i suggest getting a non emg guitar with a roland cube 30x
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
That is kind of a bummer. I don't need a tube amp though. If they had a mini one for around $200, haha. So what does solid state mean exactly? I am still leaning towards the esp for quality though...I wish I could get a hold of an ART closer to what nick plays as that would be a much better comparison.

If I went with emg's, what amp would you recommend? If you don't recommend emg's I guess I'll have to find [an]other guitar(s) to compare...
Solid state is, i'm not an expert on this , but it's just circuitry... that's about all i know.
I do know the reason EMGs sound bad in them.
Active pups send a higher output, so they overdrive the tubes in a tube amp (what people want), but in a SS amp, all it does is push the circuitry, which results in a crap sound. SS sound good at low volumes, and suck horrid crap at high volume(which is why pushing them (active pups) is a bad idea). Tube amps sound good at low volumes, but sound even better at high volumes.

If you went with EMGs, all i can think of is maybe a Valveking Royal 8, or an Epiphone Valve Jr.

If non-EMG guitar is your fancy, look at some Epiphones, Agiles, Ibanez (ART).
I'm still gonna recommend Agiles, lol.
If you were looking at LTD EC-500s, i assume you've got a pretty high budget. So have a look at the Agile AL-3100s.

And you were saying about the EC-500s quality-wise that you liked them. Just get an EC-400. It's the same thing, just with passive pups (which will sound good with your SS amp).
They only come in sunburst, though. But you can find a used one in black, or maybe even Quilt Maple red, if you're lucky.
They stopped making the coloured ones a few years back, i think. Kind of stupid, imo.
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Oct 16, 2008,
Active pickups pair well with Tube amps.
Modeling amp (like the Cube) pair well with passives.

But they all will work together.

Passives = soul.
Quote by maiden_mexico
dont get emgs please they sound practically the same in every guitar.

active emgs are only good in specifically voiced tube amps

and cleans are very weak.

i suggest getting a non emg guitar with a roland cube 30x

+1
passive is the way to go
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
The peavey looks pretty good. My budget might be a bit higher if I go with the esp but I'm have to save til christmas or summer til I get a bit more money. I have too look around and see if I want any of the guitars with passives...Oh, and black is a must, haha. I really like the white with black but black is better
I guess I don't need actives and passives would be fine. I was surprised to learn will adler from LOG uses seymour passives and he has killer tone. I was looking at the lower ibanez ART's and ltd ec's. I just need to find out which sounds better.
You make it sound like a bad thing that I like that guitar...? Oh well. I will surely look into it. Oh, since passives sound good with ss or tube, I take it the 30x is the amp I should probably get?
EMG is great and i love them. I just matter of taste, dont let anyone tell u what kind of sound u should like.

anyway, it true that EMG sound like crap through SS but for me, it great through my tube amp.

If u going with 30x Cube then this would be good for u

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC400VF?sku=512884

EC-400VF. It basically the same exactly as ec-500 with different finish and SD (Passive) Pick up
Bedroom Set up:

ESP LTD EC-400 with 81/60 EMG
Yamaha SJ550HR, 1980's Strat (rare guitar)
Crate v18
Digitech Bad Monkey
Vintage 30 Speaker
Metal Muff

Saving up for ESP Uruha's Signature Guitar
Well I would actually like the ltd ec-500 but the only relatively cheap, small tube amp is a peavey valveking 8. It is $200. Idk...I'm kinda torn right now -_-'
yeah, if u do buy tube amp then go for crate v18 if u playing in bedroom. on sale for half the price (300 bucks before, 150 now) and it going quick. But u need to get some pedal for it if u want it to sound good
Bedroom Set up:

Crate v18
Digitech Bad Monkey
Vintage 30 Speaker
Metal Muff

Quote by zerocrack
yeah, if u do buy tube amp then go for crate v18 if u playing in bedroom. on sale for half the price (300 bucks before, 150 now) and it going quick. But u need to get some pedal for it if u want it to sound good

Well, yes it's a fantastic amp, but it is not a metal amp..at all. But with this said, I do think the V18 + a Metal Muff would be great. Also do you need a Les Paul shape? Just throwing this out there, Agile makes some great drop tuning guitars:

http://www.rondomusic.com/ab3500.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/product804.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/product931.html

edit: The V18's actually went up to 400, making the 150 an even better deal
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

That amp is very cool. I know you all have been saying to go for the agile, but if I'm going for the tube I kinda want the esp. I am kinda hooked on the les paul shape, lol. I'm just nervous about buying something before trying it out and seeing it in person, although you guys know more than me. Maybe that's not an issue...
Last edited by zero716 at Oct 16, 2008,
Oh. The v18's at guitarcenter are $173 but I can get em in person and shipping would probably be a lot on musician's friend.

I just hate finish on the art 300's
Check out the Jackson DK2's. Killer neck, Dunks and probably the best licences FR on the market.

Quote by Survivalism
There's basically no such thing, you can play any tuning if you've got the right strings.

Can you explain baritone guitars then?

Many thanks.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by zero716
That amp is very cool. I know you all have been saying to go for the agile, but if I'm going for the tube I kinda want the esp. I am kinda hooked on the les paul shape, lol. I'm just nervous about buying something before trying it out and seeing it in person, although you guys know more than me. Maybe that's not an issue...

the esp ltd is very well worth the money man, well i bought mine for 350 bucks off CL and i almost brand new so i am very happy with mine.

The V18 is sweet deal cause u cant beat that price man.

Look for used esp ltd on CL, maybe u can get lucky like i do
Bedroom Set up:

Crate v18
Digitech Bad Monkey
Vintage 30 Speaker
Metal Muff

CL? What is that exactly? Well, I have been doing some research lately and decided that actives aren't the way for me to go...at least, not at the moment. I am trying to decide between some passives to get. I'm not sure between duncan and dimarzio. I was looking on the duncan website and they have sounds for all their pickups, but they play the same parts all the time for a given position of that pickup. That and when the bridge is played, they don't play a rhythm part for the bridge which is what I would like to hear.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but bridge position pickups are generally put in the bridge right? Or is it the other way around? Well, duncan and dimarzio both make some bridge pickups for dropped tuning and I'm having a hard time deciding between those...I have no idea what guitar to put them in. I was thinking about getting a cheaper ibanez art or a cheaper esp ec. Let me know what you think. [Sorry if I am beating a dead horse -_-']