Well my birthday is at the end of the month, and i've talked my mom into purchasing a new amp to replace my 15 watt starter amp. I play a Fender Stratocaster. I play literally just about anything. But main focus is in blues and metal. I'm looking at a budget of about 300-400 dollars or so, i don't want to push it too much you know. So what do you guys recommend? I've looked at the Peavey Vypyrs, but was just told to stay away from them.
If you can go used, a classic 30 with a boost would work well, maybe a crate v18 with an OD. If metal is more important, then maybe a roland cube.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Yah not particularly good for what you want to plaY(vypyr).
I say look into a new fender Champ XD if you want some tube Dynamics and wonderfull moddeling for versatility.
the good thing about it is the first channel is all tube and no digital modeling while the second channel is digital plus 12ax7 and power tubes, so you could bump it up in the first channel to get some drive and then run an overdirve to push it a bit like a tube screamer. this is the amp i would get.
next is a crate v series 18 watter wich can be easilly be modded for cheap by changin speakers and tubes, just like the fender.
and also try getting a used Blue Junior this i would get instead of the blues junior.
OUt of the Box i would say the blues junior is the best but if you dont mind spending a bill the Fender XD is awesome.
^^I like the BJ, but metal is no where in sight with an amp like that.

^Please, go home.
^^its cool dude its your opinion, but try ot a roland cube, and i dont think youll agree.
^stop being so mean.

the XD will do better metal than the crate or the BJ with a good overdrive.
well today at school i played through a marshall and kinda dug it, but i'd like to break away from that whole "marshall is better, and so is Gibson/Epiphone" you know, but if that would be a good choice/option, let me know
Quote by THEKID546
^depends what marshall man, if its anything good its nowhere near 300-400.

so how much does the fender champ cost?
Blues and metal is a pretty wide criteria... look at a used Classic 30 and an overdrive pedal. The Classic 30 will do blues no problem but will probably only do thrash by itself. The overdrive will get it into more modern territory.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^yah just get a pedal first like a bad monkey, then change out the tubes, and donwn the road change the stock chinese with a warehouse vet 10.

XD rocks.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
If you could snag a Crate V18 for blues and a Microcube for metal, you would be in great shape.

+1
Not many amps are that versitile so two amps is probably a good idea
^i dont get it if your ganna do that why not just get the Crate v18 and a multieffects.
or alot of good pedals,
I know everybody around here hates them, but for $300 I'm gonna have to recommend a Spider III. It's gonna sound insanely better than your practice amp and it can expand from blues to metal fairly effortlessly. I mean, the sound is very 'digitized' but I don't think that's necissarily bad.

But whatever you decide, go to the store and try a few of the ones recommended here out. Nothing can compare to a good test-drive.
Slipknot Fan.

Thanks, but I'm not God. If I were God, 3/4 of you would be girls, and the rest would be pizza and beer. –Axl Rose
Quote by shadowkid33
I know everybody around here hates them, but for $300 I'm gonna have to recommend a Spider III. It's gonna sound insanely better than your practice amp and it can expand from blues to metal fairly effortlessly. I mean, the sound is very 'digitized' but I don't think that's necissarily bad.

But whatever you decide, go to the store and try a few of the ones recommended here out. Nothing can compare to a good test-drive.

You could get a Super Champ XD for $300 which would poop on the Spider's face.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
You could get a Super Champ XD for $300 which would poop on the Spider's face.

+1

And +1 to felix. I'm really glad I posted that now, it's informative and hilarious.