hoping to get my early holiday/birthday present soon, and with money from relatives and mostly myself, i have approximately 1k.
In terms of genres, i play and listen to
Funk rock (RHCP, Incubus, Extreme, Jamiroquai, RATM, Audioslave)
Modern Rock (Foo Fighters, Weezer, Radiohead, Muse, QOTSA)
Ska (Sublime, Streetlight, RBF, LTJ, Suburban Legends, ASOB)
Classic (Zep and Jimi mainly)
and some hardcore, post hardcore, progressive stuff (FOT, Circa, Thrice, Mars Volta)

the spalted hh telecaster with SD's looks pretty versatile, but not sure about the harder stuff- i do, however, consider the harder stuff less important than my rock influences
throw some eccentric shit at me, im not afraid to deviate haha

so yea, 1k, those genres, thanks for the help!
a few more guidelines -
PLEASE LET THE GUITAR STAY IN TUNE, my g 400 wont lol
no whammy, for the reason above and i dont really use one
interested in a coil split
if your willing to spend a little more money than the 1k you already have, you could get a PRS Mira

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-Mira-Double-Cut-Electric-Guitar-with-Moon-Inlays-and-Wide-Thin-Neck?sku=518894

very versitile guitar, can play a TON of different genres. and it has a coil-tap like you said you were interested in. along with the fact that you get a PRS which are some of the best made guitars in terms of quality control and sound out there. you can also chose between a wide-thin neck or a standard neck depending on which one you like.

either way, good luck!
everything in my sig is very outdated, i sold a lot my shit and now i have a lot of money for everything! as well as a epi sg and my new traynor ycv 50 blue
The Tele sounds cool, but if it plays like any other tele i've played (about 10, lol), it won't sound good with distortion. A PRS would be nice, but it'll cost you some extra cash. In my opinion, you could go with a Gibson SG Classic w/ p90's or maybe a Gibson Special Faded SG w/ three pickups. Both are great guitars. They can play virtually any genre. If you buy the Faded SG (839 USD), you may have a little left over to buy a cool amp.
I say go for the Mira, go for a G&L, or go get an Agile AL-3000/3100, and swap the p'ups.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by cbvikings984
everyones saying the mira, but the cheapest one is 500 dollars over my budget!

Then my friend, may I introduce you to the Schecter C-1 Classic?
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
well, i just mentioned it if you were willing to save up a little more b/c its almost perfect for playing all the different genre's you want to play and has the coil tap. but if it is too much i guess you could go for an american (or highway 1) HSS strat.