Page 1 of 2
Is the University of Chicago a good school? What about Northwestern?

They've been sending me letters and stuff, along with Stanford...might not get into Stanford, lol.

But yeah, discuss colleges that high school seniors should consider. Ask questions about college application procedures, classes to take and other important topics.

PIT, GO!!!
Power Chord Academy?
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
haha trust me just because they send mail it doesnt mean a lot sorry to burst your bubble but yes both of those schools are highly selective
well it depends on what your major is. I live in NE Ohio and we actually have a bunch of really really good engineering schools, but I wouldn't tell you to go to Case Western for idk, say journalism...
yeah, mail is really nothing, along with emails. if you start getting calls, or letters written specifically for you right from the director of admissions, then you can start to think you can get into that school no problem. both mail and emails many, many people get. it's just an advertising thing.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
honestly if you have a lot of questions thats what your school counselor is for make sure you get to know him/her better because shes gonna be the one handling your application and reccomendation
If anybody is in Southern Ontario Im going to Conestoga right now and so far its pretty nice so far, i guess theres a reason why they were voted #1 9 out of the last 10 years. (They boast about that A LOT!!)
Yea, i get a crapload from places like yale and harvard, but it doesnt mean anything. The best way to choose a college is to just go on college vists and go to the place that you feel suits you best. I think if you plan on going to graduate school where you do undergraduate doesn't matter as much as long as its decent and legitimate.
the University of Chicago is one of the best universities in the nation. Northwestern is not quite as good but is still quite excellent. And just because they are sending you letters and stuff does not mean you are more likely to get in. They are both very competitive.
Choosing a college or university is an important selection, but focusing just on the power of the name is not the smart thing to do. The university that is best for you relies on your own personal choices including your chosen major, location, campus facilities, and overall comfortable feel when you visit. And that's just it... you need to VISIT campuses.

I chose the University of Akron due to their strong engineering development and focus, student life, and devotion to continuous campus improvement. Not to mention its not too far from my home, haha.
mmmk.
Quote by SenseS FaiL
haha trust me just because they send mail it doesnt mean a lot sorry to burst your bubble but yes both of those schools are highly selective

Went to college fairs, aced all of my standardized tests and loaded my schedule with AP classes. Plus dozens of (real) recommendations. I think I'm alright.

EDIT:

Quote by Seryaph
the University of Chicago is one of the best universities in the nation. Northwestern is not quite as good but is still quite excellent. And just because they are sending you letters and stuff does not mean you are more likely to get in. They are both very competitive.

Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!

I know about how competitive colleges are, I just never heard much about Chicago. I'm not dumb or anything so I think I have a decent chance of getting into one. I just need to find out what I can do after high school...
Last edited by GogglesVK at Oct 15, 2008,
Quote by GogglesVK
Went to college fairs, aced all of my standardized tests and loaded my schedule with AP classes. Plus dozens of (real) recommendations. I think I'm alright.

Someone is cocky... shouldn't you know the school that is right for you without asking The Pit then?
mmmk.
Quote by GogglesVK

Your SAT scores will matter more in East Coast colleges while your GPA will matter more in West Coast colleges.

What are your scores?
Quote by GogglesVK
Went to college fairs, aced all of my standardized test and loaded my schedule with AP classes. I think I'm alright.

ah trust me i've seen nerds who prepare four years just piling up stuff to put on their application and yet end up at a state school and getting rejected by most of the schools they apply to. I'm not saying this to discourage you or doubt you, but never, never be cocky and think you're a shoe-in because it can literally f*ck you over. It's good that you have the academic part, but universities look so much further than that
Quote by Seryaph
Your SAT scores will matter more in East Coast colleges while your GPA will matter more in West Coast colleges.

What are your scores?

hm... that sounds new where did you get that info?
Quote by sithian476
Someone is cocky... shouldn't you know the school that is right for you without asking The Pit then?

Didn't mean to be cocky. I was responding to someone who was being a d-bag.

Quote by Seryaph

What are your scores?

Actually, I will be taking the SAT in a week. I'm quite nervous...I aced the PSAT and been studying like a fiend, so hopefully I'm good.

EDIT: The mail and calls from Stanford came with scholarship offers. I think they're doing some program where if you're black and your family makes under $100k they pay for quite a bit of the stuff you need.
Last edited by GogglesVK at Oct 15, 2008,
Quote by GogglesVK

Actually, I will be taking the SAT in a week. I'm quite nervous...I aced the PSAT and been studying like a fiend, so hopefully I'm good.

whoa? me a being a d bag? how? i just said that letters are not a big deal and they arent there just ads and i even talked about northwestern and uchicago being selective schools
Quote by SenseS FaiL
hm... that sounds new where did you get that info?

From getting into an East Coast school and having friends who got into a West Coast school.

A buddy of mine got into USC and he said that they did not even really consider his SAT scores. I think that schools such as Stanford and Berkley hold the same view of the SAT tests.

After all, the SAT tests are a creation of Princeton University. I think that a lot of schools out West don't consider them very accurate depictions of a students intelligence or ability.

Quote by GogglesVK

EDIT: The mail and calls from Stanford came with scholarship offers. I think they're doing some program where if you're black and your family makes under $100k they pay for quite a bit of the stuff you need.

Scholarship offers are always a really good sign. However, you always have to back up that offer with the grades and requirements that they want from you. Remember that most of the time, most universities are after students for their money, more than for anything else. If they are calling you with scholarship offers then you have really good chances of getting in.

Go for it, dude! That would be an amazing opportunity.
Last edited by Seryaph at Oct 15, 2008,
Quote by SenseS FaiL
whoa? me a being a d bag? how? i just said that letters are not a big deal and they arent there just ads and i even talked about northwestern and uchicago being selective schools

Kinda came off d-baggy...but w/e.

It wasn't just junk mail bs. They sent packets.
You need a niche, something that separates you from other people. There really are a lot of people that do very well on the SATs, so don't ride on that, and a lot of people with 4+ GPA's. In the end colleges are not looking for just egg heads. I assuming you play guitar, you could try getting more involved with that and then stressing the importance of that in your high school years to the colleges you are applying to. They want well rounded individuals, so make sure to fine an extra curriculum activity and stick with it. Also I think you just mentioned you are black as you said something about a scholarship for black students who make under 100k a year. Basically your chances of getting into places is much higher because you are a minority. I am a minority, and a senior with decent grades and test score all around and I have been scouted by a few schools which would be out of my reach normally if it weren't for my minority status. How ever unfair some people might view this, it is a fact of the society we live in so good luck with everything, seems like you will be fine.
12 fret fury
Last edited by Punk Poser at Oct 15, 2008,
The main difference with colleges is the quality of the connections you can make. the education is roughly similar, but smaller private schools tend to be better for making connections that give you the hook up when you graduate. For graduate school however, school tends to matter a bit more. This is especially the case for Law/Med school. In short, go to a place you can afford and wont make you want to kill yourself. I was 1 for 2 in that regard.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by Seryaph
From getting into an East Coast school and having friends who got into a West Coast school.

A buddy of mine got into USC and he said that they did not even really consider his SAT scores. I think that schools such as Stanford and Berkley hold the same view of the SAT tests.

After all, the SAT tests are a creation of Princeton University. I think that a lot of schools out West don't consider them very accurate depictions of a students intelligence or ability.

oh yeah thats right i remember the university of california not accepting SAT scores at one time hm.. interesting

and what college do you go to if you dont mind me asking
Quote by GogglesVK

All universities send packets. It is the scholarship offers and phone calls that demonstrate a true interest. And not scholarship offers as in "We give x% of our students scholarships!"
but "We want to give you [insert name] such and such scholarship".

Quote by SenseS FaiL
oh yeah thats right i remember the university of california not accepting SAT scores at one time hm.. interesting

and what college do you go to if you dont mind me asking

I am currently attending Boston University.
I got accepted into Colorado School of Mines, Missouri S&T, and New Mexico Tech.

I just need to decide which one to go to.
Gear List:
ESP LTD EC-1000, Amber Sunburst with Duncans
Ibanez AJ30ECE Acoustic-Electric
Line 6 Spider II 210 120 watt
Line 6 UX2
Quote by GogglesVK

ok dude i was just trying to give some advice and yeah i got a packet from university of michigan(brochures, application, etc.) and i got rejected from it so im just warning you seriously not as a dbag but just be careful its good that your confident but you dont want to be too confident let me tell you a long story if you care

One kid in my honors latin class had a 4.0 GPA, 2360 on his SATS, president of latin and english honors society, varsity track, and much more awards and what not. He kept bragging to everyone about going to Brown. Seriously thats the only school he applied to at first... in fact he was so cocky he applied to other ivy leagues like it was nothing. When decisions came around. he got rejected from every single school and how did i know this? he ended up at NYU, a school he once ridiculed right in front of me. Now i hear he dropped his major as a Pre-med and is just doing crappy

so moral of the story is, be humble and apply to a reach school, dream school, and safetys which im pretty sure you wont have a problem with it
Last edited by SenseS FaiL at Oct 15, 2008,
Quote by Seryaph
All universities send packets. It is the scholarship offers and phone calls that demonstrate a true interest. And not scholarship offers as in "We give x% of our students scholarships!"
but "We want to give you [insert name] such and such scholarship".

I am currently attending Boston University.

oh nice school, heard the campus was nice. i go to Syracuse not as good but decent haha you guys have a pretty good hockey team i hear
College is for ghey people. You don't need college. You can do really gooder at life if you'd just be a man and go work.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by SenseS FaiL
ok dude i was just trying to give some advice and yeah i got a packet from university of michigan(brochures, application, etc.) and i got rejected from it so im just warning you seriously not as a dbag but just be careful its good that your confident but you dont want to be too confident let me tell you a long story if you care

One kid in my honors latin class had a 4.0 GPA, 2360 on his SATS, president of latin and english honors society, varsity track, and much more awards and what not. He kept bragging to everyone about going to Brown. Seriously thats the only school he applied to at first... in fact he was so cocky he applied to other ivy leagues like it was nothing. When decisions came around. he got rejected from every single school and how did i know this? he ended up at NYU, a school he once ridiculed right in front of me. Now i hear he dropped his major as a Pre-med and is just doing crappy

so moral of the story is, be humble and apply to a reach school dream school and safetys which im pretty sure you wont have a problem with it

I mean in no way to be rude or anything. I came here seeking help. This is one of the most scary and ****ed up decisions I've ever had to make.

It's not like I'm some super-duper, 4.0, Ivy League applicant. In fact, I've messed up quite a bit of high school. Fortunately, I am making a comeback thanks to my AP classes and what not. I already know, for the most part, what colleges I can and can't go to, I just need help deciding on some schools.
Quote by SenseS FaiL
oh nice school, heard the campus was nice. i go to Syracuse not as good but decent haha you guys have a pretty good hockey team i hear

I really enjoy the campus but it is stretched out for over a mile. Lots of walking, but that is not a bad thing. And yeah, I think the hockey team is going to do well this year. I am gonna try to go see them on Friday. But I just enjoy the school in general. Good business program among other things. Not to mention that this city is amazing.

I have heard some good things about Syracuse. You guys have a good entreprenurship program and a good architecture program. And apparently a good lacross team?
Quote by Seryaph
I really enjoy the campus but it is stretched out for over a mile. Lots of walking, but that is not a bad thing. And yeah, I think the hockey team is going to do well this year. I am gonna try to go see them on Friday. But I just enjoy the school in general. Good business program among other things. Not to mention that this city is amazing.

I have heard some good things about Syracuse. You guys have a good entreprenurship program and a good architecture program. And apparently a good lacross team?

mhm yeah i wanted to go to either BU or BC but my lazy ass didnt take the SAT 2's. and yeah apparently according to my roommate who is an architecture major claims the school is top 10 in the nation and we have a really good communications school ranked in top 5, but the other schools are so easy to get into its not even funny, its so divided but i like it here

and yeah our lacrosse team is very storied which unfortunately cant say for the crappy football team we have haha
Quote by GogglesVK
Is the University of Chicago a good school? What about Northwestern?

They've been sending me letters and stuff, along with Stanford...might not get into Stanford, lol.

But yeah, discuss colleges that high school seniors should consider. Ask questions about college application procedures, classes to take and other important topics.

PIT, GO!!!

There's Friske's Guide...read that. From what I've heard, U of C is where fun comes to die. What kind of school do you want to go to anyway? And are there plans on visiting? And what do you want out of the college experience (academics, good sports, extracurriculars?)
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
What's with these guys getting letters from Stanford? My friend got some and I have a higher GPA than him and better test scores.
i'm probably just going to apply to UC and CSU school in california. mainly because i am a lazy bastard and these schools are easiest for me to apply to .

i did well on the PSAT, so i've received letters from harvard, yale, princeton, berkeley, usc, ucla, stanford, etc but unfortunately they really don't mean anything.

Quote by Seryaph
Not to mention that this city is amazing.

OH FUCK THE CITY!
/laker+angelfan

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Last edited by MTVget0FFtheAIR at Oct 16, 2008,
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
i'm probably just going to apply to UC and CSU school in california. mainly because i am a lazy bastard and these schools are easiest for me to apply to .

i did well on the PSAT, so i've received letters from harvard, yale, princeton, berkeley, usc, ucla, stanford, etc but unfortunately they really don't mean anything.

OH FUCK THE CITY!
/laker+angelfan

Hey man, I never said anything about my sport affiliations. The city, as far as cities go, is really cool. I was born in New York
Quote by Seryaph
this city is amazing.

Boston is indeed sex.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Boston is indeed sex.

Speaking of, Xiaoxi, do you know of any good Jazz clubs around town?

And to not be completely off topic. College is good for your brain.
Quote by Seryaph
Speaking of, Xiaoxi, do you know of any good Jazz clubs around town?

I haven't had the time nor the money to go out and really explore the city yet. But Berklee has free concerts almost every night. Many of them are free and open to the public and they're very good. You should come here every once in a while. We can chill.

Also, there's the BSO college card. The deal is a $25 membership card that will get you into 25 BSO shows. Only catch is you have to get the tickets on the day of the show. But all the schools here have the discount for even lower. I got mine through Berklee for only 5 bucks. It's awesome. I know BU has it too.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I haven't had the time nor the money to go out and really explore the city yet. But Berklee has free concerts almost every night. Many of them are free and open to the public and they're very good. You should come here every once in a while. We can chill.

Also, there's the BSO college card. The deal is a $25 membership card that will get you into 25 BSO shows. Only catch is you have to get the tickets on the day of the show. But all the schools here have the discount for even lower. I got mine through Berklee for only 5 bucks. It's awesome. I know BU has it too.

That would actually be really really cool. I don't even really know where Berklee is, but that sounds like a lot of fun. I am finishing up my midterms in the next day or two and will probably have a lot more free time opening up, so we should definitely check out some of those shows and chill.

And yeah, I know about the BSO thing. Didn't know about the card but I got offered free tickets to the BSO's last performance but couldn't make it because of homework and midterms.
Quote by Seryaph
That would actually be really really cool. I don't even really know where Berklee is, but that sounds like a lot of fun. I am finishing up my midterms in the next day or two and will probably have a lot more free time opening up, so we should definitely check out some of those shows and chill.

And yeah, I know about the BSO thing. Didn't know about the card but I got offered free tickets to the BSO's last performance but couldn't make it because of homework and midterms.

Wow...if you're not a freshman you should be ashamed of yourself

From BU west, you can either walk along Comm Ave towards Mass Ave or you can take the T to Hynes. If you walk, turn left on Mass Ave and keep going. You'll see one of the Berklee buildings on the corner of Mass and Boylston. If you get off at Hynes, it's basically right across the street to your left when you come out of the station.

And yea, you should really get the card. You basically get access to the entire season for 25 bucks or less. I already went to the first two, including last Saturday's. Just ask your student activity center. And if they don't have it there, you can always get it right at the symphony hall.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Wow...if you're not a freshman you should be ashamed of yourself

From BU west, you can either walk along Comm Ave towards Mass Ave or you can take the T to Hynes. If you walk, turn left on Mass Ave and keep going. You'll see one of the Berklee buildings on the corner of Mass and Boylston. If you get off at Hynes, it's basically right across the street to your left when you come out of the station.

And yea, you should really get the card. You basically get access to the entire season for 25 bucks or less. I already went to the first two, including last Saturday's. Just ask your student activity center. And if they don't have it there, you can always get it right at the symphony hall.

Haha, well it is only my first semester in Boston, dude! But I will be graduating in 2010. i will definitely look into getting that card. I am broke for the month because I spent most of my money on the Experience Hendrix tour tickets.

Page 1 of 2