Hi, I have a problem. I use max gain on my Line 6 Spider III 150 watt modeling combo amp on the metal amp model. This amp has many effects built in it so it DOESN'T have an effects loop!!! My amp makes a hissing and annoying sound if I don't play and don't mute the strings, so I thought I could stop it by buying a noise-gate (the boss noise suppressor to be exact). Buuuut, the main problem is that I don't use any pedals except a Dunlop DIME Crybaby From Hell Wah Pedal.

Guitar -> Wah Pedal -> Amp

How and where would I put the noise gate? I don't have an effects loop and I use the amp's distortion. No other pedals except the wah.

Thanks!
try at the start and end of the chain. is it really that much effort to see which works better?
Turn down your gain!

Then get yourself a new amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Last edited by stradivari310 at Oct 15, 2008,
just use the input and output on the pedal. and set the threshhold and decay how it sound best.
Do actually have the Pedal and have you actually tried different setups? Trial and error is the best way to learn anything and everything about music.

I don't know how a Noise Gate would help you, since the distortion is in your amp and isn't being looped back :/

I'd tell you to put the Noise Gate after your Wah, but I don't know if it'll help.

EDIT: I don't know about "everything about music" but you'll learn...
Last edited by Table Salt at Oct 15, 2008,
get a new amp. It's probably nothing you can fix with a noise supressor. They mainly cure noise from a guitar's wiring/feedback issues
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
put it at the end
Quote by Julz127
I don't actually use toilet paper, I use sweet chili sauce and sandpaper, cause I'm a man.
I don't understand why I should not get it. Well I don't have it yet; I just wanted to know if I could use it and if I could, where would I put it. So some people say it might work and that's what I don't understand. Also, is it bad to keep the gain at max? I need death, black, and thrash metal distortion. Why should I get a new amp? I just got this one and my budget was low. Since this came with effects I thought it would be better.
i made the same mistake with the spider iii. i played in a metal band and all i knew about tone was that i wanted volume, so it was the fact that i could get a 150 watt half-stack for under 1000$ that attracted me to it. the effects and amp modeling capabilities just sort of added to how good a deal i thought it was.
but that annoying sound youre talking about is definitely a problem i ran into. the hiss gets worse as you crank to gain up on the amp, and i got unmanageable feedback, particularly when using a guitar with really hot pickups.
if your budget really is tight, go ahead and try a gate, but understand that you could potentially be sacrificing tone and sustain. in my experience with the spider though, the hiss came from the amp itself. it wasnt a power problem or ground loop, the guitar, or the pedals, so the only practical place for a noise gate would have been between the amp and speakers. since you have a combo this may be not possible. personally i would say deal with it for now if possible, save up some $, and upgrade to a higher quality amp.
What's wrong with the amp's built-in noise gate?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by psss
amp with inbuilt effects = probably failure in tone department. line 6 spiders arnt good... period. Your amp is the thing producing the noise. so the gate is useless without a effects loop. cut your losses and get a new amp

he's absolutely right. your guitar and wahpedal might produce a little bit of hum, but most of it will come from the amp and it's in build effects, so you should put the noise suppressor after the effects, but since that ain't possible it won't help.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by 1if3 0wn3r
I don't understand why I should not get it. Well I don't have it yet; I just wanted to know if I could use it and if I could, where would I put it. So some people say it might work and that's what I don't understand. Also, is it bad to keep the gain at max? I need death, black, and thrash metal distortion. Why should I get a new amp? I just got this one and my budget was low. Since this came with effects I thought it would be better.

even death/black/thrash metal bands dont turn the gain up all the way. it affects your tone in a way that isnt at all understandable, but definitely un-likable. and a noise suppressor wouldnt help you before the distortion. i would tell you to get a distortion or od pedal, but spider amps dont take kindly to pedals at all.
and either way, the metal channel on a spider 3 has too much gain for my liking anyways. i enjoy high gain tones, but only if used right, such as Paul Allander's tone. its such a high gain sound, but it still has definition.
anyways, save up for a good amp. thats what i would do. if you dont feel like doing it, well, then your probably not thinking straight. a spider amp is a practice amp, nothing more. and a shitty one at that.
personally, i've had better experience with the mg series from marshall. and those amps SUCK
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Thanks for all the help guys and I understand what you guys are saying so I'm thinking to sell this amp? I just got it recently and now I'm feeling disappointed, but I don't want to make a mistake by using a bad amp. Does anyone know how much I can sell this for? It's just like new condition, bought it for $275 used, but still it's like perfect condition. What amps are good for black, death, heavy, and thrash metal? My budget is $400 maybe even $600 max if the amp is REALLY good. Even if it's non-tube but still good, I don't mind buying. But I know that tube amps are worth buying. What about effects? I won't be able to afford a multi or single effect pedal after buying the amp, right? Also will I need an overdrive pedal with the amp you recommend? If yes, which one is best?

Thank you so much people for help.
Quote by steven seagull
What's wrong with the amp's built-in noise gate?

You can't tell any difference. It sucks.
Quote by 1if3 0wn3r
Thanks for all the help guys and I understand what you guys are saying so I'm thinking to sell this amp? I just got it recently and now I'm feeling disappointed, but I don't want to make a mistake by using a bad amp. Does anyone know how much I can sell this for? It's just like new condition, bought it for $275 used, but still it's like perfect condition. What amps are good for black, death, heavy, and thrash metal? My budget is $400 maybe even $600 max if the amp is REALLY good. Even if it's non-tube but still good, I don't mind buying. But I know that tube amps are worth buying. What about effects? I won't be able to afford a multi or single effect pedal after buying the amp, right? Also will I need an overdrive pedal with the amp you recommend? If yes, which one is best?

Thank you so much people for help.

If I have to go USED, I have no problem.
Quote by psss
well if you go tube itll have to be a used combo. Could probably pick up a msea combo on ebay that wouldn't require a overdrive pedal and would fit your budget. not only that it would be as loud as you'd ever need it to be. i Wouldn't waste any more time on solid state. Really a waste of money. and if you keep playing for some time to come your eventually going to go tube anyway. In the end you have to research some amps and buy one used. i do however recommend a used mesa combo

Ok thanks. I'm definitely gonna go combo because I don't wanna break my back carrying the cab everywhere. What do you think of a Bugera 6260 combo, Bugera 6262 combo, or Bugera 333 combo?

The first one is $600 new, and the other two are $650 new. But I'm gonna try getting used for whatever I go. I'll also check out the Mesas. But if I go Mesa, will I be able to afford a 2x12? My budget is $700 max. I really want a 2x12 cuz otherwise I don't think it's loud enough for gigs. What Mesas do you recommend?

Thanks.
dont get a Boss Noise suppresser pedal....they dont work that great at all. have had one and it didnt do squat for taking any noise out, sucked tone mostly.

try a MXR Smart Gate or a ISP Decimator. my Smart gate takes ALL the hiss and noise from all my amps. without loosing any tone at all

or get a new amp
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
Well now I have decided to buy a Bugera 6260 2x12 combo.

Thanks everyone for the help, highly appreciate it!
Quote by stradivari310
Turn down your gain!

Then get yourself a new amp.

There are several distortion to choose from I own a Spider II 150 and it is super quiet. Just activate the onboard noise gate! It will do the job
Quote by SStudiopro
There are several distortion to choose from I own a Spider II 150 and it is super quiet. Just activate the onboard noise gate! It will do the job

.....Old thread?