Well, I was going to audition this band soon, but I just got a message with their requirements.
I met all but #1- must have a halfstack.

Now, what I want to ask is, don't you think a good combo is just as good as a halfstack? Do you agree with thir requirement of a half stack?
I have a fender hot rod deluxe, which is forty watts of tube... which is louder than any 100 watt halfstack I've played (they were all solid state though lol)
Yeah I don't think 40 watts is gonna cut it.

My friend who goes to Bard runs his stuff through a combo though, and that thing is so loud it will resurrect dead puppies.
Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Cranked 40 watts will overpower everything.

EDIT: There are two benefits, as I see them, to a half stack:

1. You're going to move more air with a larger number of speakers. You may not necessarily be louder, but your sound will project better and there will be improved bass response.

2. A head + cab will last longer than a combo, and it will be more reliable. When you have a combo, the circuit board and all the internal workings are subjected to all the vibration created by the speakers. Eventually something will come loose (I know this because I just had to re-solder everything inside my amp). Separating the circuitry and absorbing the vibration through the rubber feet on the head will keep your circuits safe, and you won't need to worry so much.
Last edited by The Pickle Man at Oct 15, 2008,
dude u dont need a massive amp. first off, PA should be there everytime u play probably. second, i have a 40 watt tube spidervalve, my ****ing idiot friend turned the volume up when he was messing with it. luckly he only got the master up about halfay, and it srsly messed him up for a cuple hours.
what kind of band is it?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
You won't need a half stack unless you're playing stadiums full of people. Even then you still won't need it because you could hook up to the PA... unless you decide to play unmiced anyway.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
lol
Well, they gonna make calls tomorrow so what should I do?
Try to convince them that my amp is enough (I'd be auditioning for rhythm guitar so i wouldn't need to overpower everyone for leads) or just say sorry I have a combo. ?
i have a hot rod deluxe and on 4 its volume dominates. its way too loud lol

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

^Wrong. 40 watts won't cut it in any gym are auditorium setting without a PA. By my standpoint a combo is just as much as any half stack. Im running an 80watt marshall combo amp into a marshall half stack. 5x12" speakers, very loud, and sounds amazing, and can blast any large venue. So yes, any two to four combo amp should be good. My friend has a 100watt tube Crate 2x12, and its balls to the wall too, so you should be fine.
My Equipment:

-KE3 Kelly Jackson
-Hyburn Stratocaster
-Marshall G80RCD
-Marshall AVT series 4x12" extension cab.
-Digitech Death Metal Distortion Pedal

ICED EARTH
Quote by UnsignedRecords
what kind of band is it?

Christian rock

And I dont know how big the venues they play get but I know they do play in small venues where I live.
^ Then your 40 should be adequete.
My Equipment:

-KE3 Kelly Jackson
-Hyburn Stratocaster
-Marshall G80RCD

ICED EARTH
unless you play through a really big area, get a halfstack. if not, then just a miced combo would do.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
I would say, just tell them you have a very loud ****ing amp, and that they should hear it before they dismiss you.
Quote by KVX10 KING V
^Wrong. 40 watts won't cut it in any gym are auditorium setting without a PA. By my standpoint a combo is just as much as any half stack. Im running an 80watt marshall combo amp into a marshall half stack. 5x12" speakers, very loud, and sounds amazing, and can blast any large venue. So yes, any two to four combo amp should be good. My friend has a 100watt tube Crate 2x12, and its balls to the wall too, so you should be fine.

my amp was at 2 unmic'd and it was loud enough to fill an auditorium with 2 other guitars, drums, bass, and 2 vocals.

face.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

^ I never said two wasn't enough, in fact, I stated that a 2x12 will suffice in most large venues.
My Equipment:

-KE3 Kelly Jackson
-Hyburn Stratocaster
-Marshall G80RCD

ICED EARTH
Quote by KVX10 KING V
^Wrong. 40 watts won't cut it in any gym are auditorium setting without a PA.

40 watts of tube will cut it in a gym or auditorium. i have been using my fender hot rod deluxe against my friends marshall jvm 100 watt tube for quite some time.

and honestly i know im right because i did this 3 hours ago

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

you said 40watts wasn't enough. i think even 15watts cranked would be fine, especially through a 2x12.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Anyways, instead of turning this into a flame war. Your amp should suffice for the genre, and the venue size you have told us. Just try for the audition, if they are gunna complain, then to bad, they are out a good guitarist.
My Equipment:

-KE3 Kelly Jackson
-Hyburn Stratocaster
-Marshall G80RCD

ICED EARTH
indeed.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

the guitarists in DEATH played through miced marshall valvestate combos at Dynamo

i think youll be fine
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
Best To just go and show them what ya got.Your combo should surprise them.Unless they want the stack for the look..
just convince them that your amp is loud enough. and maybe that you might consider buying a half stack if you still really like the whole band after a while
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
You'll be fine.

Convince them that your combo is more than enough, although they might be going for the LOOK of halfstacks, if this is the case and you like your amp, get a cab and put it on top of there.

When they call say listen, I don't have a have stack but I have a loud tube combo amp that should be more than enough.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
My Classic 30 is plenty loud, don't need anything more and I've had some quite big gigs! (Not stadium level haha, but like 200 capacity clubs and such). Never needed to mic it up although most of the time the option is there. I've got to run it with a 2x12 extension cab a couple times and the sound was quite a bit louder and filled a lot more space.

Does the hot rod have an extension cab output?
Yeah it has a output.

And even if your gigging, a half stack will be mic'd as well because it makes the whole mix sound better.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Ok... realistically. Any tube amp cranked to all 10's will be louder than a solid state amp of the same wattage.

Just pointing this out to those who don't know. If you have a 50 watt marshall mg and you compare it with a 50 watt crate v series, and push all the knobs all the way up; the crate will be louder.

NOW for the issue at hand. A cab only gets better response (usually) because of the closed back which forces the speakers to push the the air a little harder (the speaker has to force itself against the air pressure in the back).

A 50 watt tube combo amp 2x12" will be just as loud as the same 50 watt tube HEAD running a 4x12". However the sound will be a tad different.