i want to start some busking soon

christmas is coming up and i may [not definite] be able to get my wealthy aunt and uncle to buy me a kickass guitar for xmas. Can anyone recommend me an acoustic guitar that will sound good outdoors and is generally of high quality?

would an acoustic be better for busking or would an electric-acoustic be more appropriate?

and just in case my aunt and uncle decide NOT to go "all out" on buying me a new guitar, can you guys recommend anything for someone who;s on a budget?

ive only been playing guitar for about ... 20 something months and ive been practicing on a crappy classical guitar that i hate, so im not looking for a classical guitar.

ive been told to do some research before i ask my aunt and uncle for a guitar, so thats why im starting here for some advice. i know very little when it comes to what guitars are best for what purpose but i intend to check out a few music stores and get some help there.

so ... what can you guys recommend for me?

Quote by ShootingStars
price range would be VERY HELPFUL
$300 range = yamaha FG730S = WINNNAR

btw switching to acoustic from classical might be hard... the strings of the acoustic are harder to press than classical... steel vs nylon.
but acoustic sound owns imo

it wont be as hard as you think. I also have an electric guitar that i used to parcatice on, but ever since my amp died i havent played it much. I have had practice on both nylon and steel strings, and i have developed quite a callus so i doubt the transition from classical to acoustic will be a dramatic one.

as for price range? i really dont know ... 2-300? 4 maybe $500
Thats in AUSTRALIAN dollars mind you, not that that matters anyway seeing as though the whole world is going into recession.
Last edited by flea's trumpet at Oct 16, 2008,
price range would be VERY HELPFUL
$300 range = yamaha FG730S = WINNNAR

btw switching to acoustic from classical might be hard... the strings of the acoustic are harder to press than classical... steel vs nylon.
but acoustic sound owns imo
ok, so ive found a yamaha for $250
it comes with a capo, a tuner, a gig bag and another set of strings.

does that sound like a good deal?

EDIT: im not going with this guitar because i just discovered that its a laminate top and it doesnt feel comfortable when i play it.
Last edited by flea's trumpet at Oct 25, 2008,
Is it made of solid wood? That's the most important thing. You want a solid top.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
ok, i have narrowed it down to two possible guitars.

Cort 100/60 FARTH-60 NS. Its a solid top acoustic /
Dreadnought shape
Made of Solid Spruce wood.
It comes with a gig bag / Extra Set of Strings / A set of Picks / Capo / Guitar Strap / Digital Tuner and Accessory Pouch
That deal costs $299-

OR

A Yamaha FG700S
Spruce Wood, Solid top
for $399-
it doesnt come with anything else, but the guy who was showing me the guitar said we could negotiate a little deal.

ive played a little on these two guitars and they both seem to have really good resonance and intonation.

so what do you think. Which guitar is better for someone who has been practicing guitar for about 20 months and wants to change to a steel string acoustic?

please, suggest any other good quality guitars for me, and i can do a bit of research and look into them.
Last edited by flea's trumpet at Oct 25, 2008,
I'd go for the Yamaha, shootingstars already said that the FG730s is winrar so the FG700S should be of similar quality, shelling out the little extra is usually worth it unless you really can't tell much of a difference. Also, this may just be personal preference and cynicism, but I tend to keep away from starter kit stuff, I'd rather pay for the guitar than for a guitar and extras that you may not even need.
Quote by flea's trumpet
whats the difference between the FG730s and the FG700s :S

The 730 has rosewood back and sides as opposed to the nato used for the 700. The binding is also different. Aside from those two points they are the same, both have rosewood fingerboards, both have solid sitka spruce tops, both use diecast tuners.
Hey I would also look into Silver Creek guitars. I haven't had a chance to play one but they're all solid wood for......<4 or 500 US dollars, I believe. I want to try one though. They seem to have a lot of potential and I haven't heard anyone say something bad about them
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
ok so, my family screwed me over and didnt end up getting me anything for christmas which im really pissed off about. So earlier today i bought a Yamaha FG720s for $399.

im pretty happy with it, and i know it doesnt make a difference what UG thinks. But id still like to know whether i made a good purchase?
Yep. Yamahas are overall very solid guitars, build-wise and tone-wise. Good choice!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray