We don't know. The harmony will determine the key. That riff is chromatic, and doesn't suggest anything.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by randomthoughts
I was just messing around and came up with this riff that starts on the "C" note and contains (C, C#, D, F, G, G#, A). My question is what key would this be. I have no damn idea.

Quote by Archeo Avis
We don't know. The harmony will determine the key. That riff is chromatic, and doesn't suggest anything

Melodies can be in key without harmonic accompaniment. To suggest harmony is required in order to determine the key of a melody is absurd. This is usually the kind of talk that is reserved for discussing modes around this forum, (even then it gets under my skin) but seeing it cross over to key based questions is disturbing.

Having said that Archeo does have a point. The notes you have given don't fit neatly into any specific key because of the chromaticism involved. Some of those notes will be "accidentals". What matters, and what we don't know is how you're playing the notes given, where the stresses and accents are, and which notes are just passing notes. What notes are essential in making up the core melodic idea and what notes are just decoration that could be left out with little impact on the basic melodic form?

If I had a gun to my head and were forced to hazard a guess based on the information given I would say it's in the Key of C Major with C# and G# being accidentals. I say this because my mind grouping the C C# D into triplets and the G G# A into triplets also and because there is no F#. However there is no reason for my mind to do this other than that's just what it did when I looked at it. This may not be the case and my guess could be completely wrong.
Si
Quote by huevos
Looks like a harmonic minor.
But I'm relativitly toasted, so I could be wrong.

you stoners (shakes head)
Melodies can be in key without harmonic accompaniment.

This one isn't. Even when the melody isn't chromatic--as this one is--you can't derive information about the key merely from "here are the notes". It would be extremely heavily dependent on the way the melody is structured. Even then, it's going to be subservient to the harmony if a progression is present.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.