my friend is thibking about building a guitar. He wants to make one that looks kinda like a scythe like this:

Is it even possible?
Gear
Ibanez GRG170DX
Bluerock Begginers Strat
Fender Acoustic
Bluerock Begginers 10W Amp
Lne 6 Spider 3 15
Gear to come
Les Paul Copy(Fixing up to be good)
yeah, theres some dude in israel that built a guitar that was just a steel tube with frets and guitar harware installed, so you can definitely do stuff like that.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
It probably is possible, perhaps to an experienced luthier. But from someone who hasn't had extensive experience building guitars, it's probably impossible.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
well the dude that built the stel pipe guitar wasn't a luthier, actually knowing how to build a traditional guitar wouldn't help at all in this case as the only thing relevant in both cases is the mounting of the hardware and the fret spacing, and neither of those are particularly hard to figure out.

Last.fm
i'd say you might need the scyth part a bit bigger, for wiring stuff. but yeah it could work!
Quote by darkarbiter7
It probably is possible, perhaps to an experienced luthier. But from someone who hasn't had extensive experience building guitars, it's probably impossible.

This. If you can't work with metal well, you are wasting your time with something like that.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
I'd like to point out that on top of looking totally ridiculous, it would sound horrible. Unless you get a super tight joint on the metal part, you'll get no sustain at all, and even if you do it's going to be all low-midrange and no definition- i.e. really boomy and throaty which will sound awful through whichever super high-gain stack he's probably playing it through.

Plus, let's stop and think for a minute about where that thing would sit when you played it. Pushing the bridge that far back means that when you play your meedley meedleys up on the 23rd fret you're going to be whacking yourself in the dick every time you shift your left hand.
Or maybe that was the point?
I'm sure one could come up with a workable design, I imagine it would sound kinda like a Steinberger, and those don't sound half bad, you'd have to use active pups though.

Last.fm
Just put in emg's, it would work.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
You mean kind of like this one from the thread titled "Just Saw the Dumbest Guitar of All Time"

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=974769&highlight=reaper
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
he's gonna impale his nut sack every time he play's.............Good Luck!!
http://www.ministarguitars.net/id67.html

buy one of these guitars, and add the metal part. 200 bucks total. Sounds cheap to me.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master