I have a Fender J-bass, it's actually one I built from Warmoth parts. I have a set of EMG J-set active pickups in it. The tone control is making a weird sound when I turn it up. It doesn't hum like a bad ground, it is more like a quiet screech. And when I touch the tone control/bridge/strings, it doesn't go away. The volume knobs do not increase the sound only the tone control. The battery is right below the tone control, do I need to sheild that somehow? Anyone know what this could be?
Well...not personally being what you would call "educated" with electronics, I would say take it to your local, family-owned shop and see what they can do.
I had this with the stock J p-up (same style as EMG's) on my LTD bass and after some net searching found it was a common-ish problem that esp apparantly knew about.

To solve it there were a few suggestions, but the only one i can remember atm was to ground yourself while touching the pickup. So touch something metal while touching the pickup.

Thinking about it I'm not sure how i solved mine but it hasn't done it for a long time. I bet i'll get home from work and it'll be doing it again now >.>
I'm not you Friend, Buddy!
I'm not your Buddy, Guy!
I'm not your Guy, Friend!

Arriving somewhere, but not here
Quote by Turnips86
I had this with the stock J p-up (same style as EMG's) on my LTD bass and after some net searching found it was a common-ish problem that esp apparantly knew about.

To solve it there were a few suggestions, but the only one i can remember atm was to ground yourself while touching the pickup. So touch something metal while touching the pickup.

Thinking about it I'm not sure how i solved mine but it hasn't done it for a long time. I bet i'll get home from work and it'll be doing it again now >.>

this isn't it. it sounds like there is something wrong with the electronics themselves to me.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom