Ahoy
I've been saving for a decent head and cab for gigging and need to decide what to buy. First of all realise that I'm in Australia and due to the lack of music stores and buisness compared to the US theres only about 3 stores that sell a variety of amps which they usually sell at double the price due to no competition (eg a $700 combo is sold at $1500)

Now i was thinking of a Line 6 150 watt head with cab, but after the UG hate of spiders I'm not so sure. I know the in-built effects are lame but I always thought the distortion was great as it can keep good tone while packing in plenty of gain.

Anyway thoughts or ideas for an amp would be great
Quote by Shylock
Well, If I woke up a girl, I would immediantly proceed to achieving an orgaism.

because they are superior to ours.

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!
The Spiders are actually decent practice amps and come in handy for recording... however they are horrible when you are using them for performing purposes.

What type of music do you play?
What is your budget?
For performing I'd probably play metal and hard rock mostly. So something that can handle high gain but also has a good clean sound
I can probably go to $2000 AUS, maybe a little more if need be
Quote by Shylock

Peavey JSX 2x12 combo, or get the head version and a nice cab to go with it.
Quote by injected
Peavey JSX 2x12 combo, or get the head version and a nice cab to go with it.

In Aus the combo is worth 3.5 grand...
Quote by Shylock

Buy used. Always.

Over here the 120w combo's are about $1600, but I saw some go used for $700 locally.

You can even get the 40 watt version which is equally as good
Quote by i_am_metalhead
The Spiders are actually decent practice amps and come in handy for recording... however they are horrible when you are using them for performing purposes.

What type of music do you play?
What is your budget?

Unless you're talking about a Vetta head.

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
Unless you're talking about a Vetta head.

No no. The Vetta is a great modeling amp for all purposes. I am talking about the Spider - while they are very overpriced for what you are getting, they do have some practical uses.
Quote by Shylock

Quote by i_am_metalhead
No no. The Vetta is a great modeling amp for all purposes. I am talking about the Spider - while they are very overpriced for what you are getting, they do have some practical uses.

That's why

You mentioned that Line 6 amps are looked down at in here but i meant to say that the Vettas are great.

EDIT: Hey it's nice to see a fellow '04 in here.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by Matty_V

IMO that is a big no no. While Randall does produce some very nice solid state amps, this one in particular is nothing special - it is your average, run-of-the-mill Randall SS with Kirk Hammett's signature slapped on it just so they can bump the price up... I'm actually quite surprised that Randall would lower themselves to that, but sadly they have.

Does the amp have to be a head + cab? There are some really nice combos that can get the job done for you.
Quote by injected
POWER AMP
Solid State

That's a no no.

mmmm thats why I'm hesistant, may be 120 watts but its a SS
Quote by i_am_metalhead
IMO that is a big no no. While Randall does produce some very nice solid state amps, this one in particular is nothing special - it is your average, run-of-the-mill Randall SS with Kirk Hammett's signature slapped on it just so they can bump the price up... I'm actually quite surprised that Randall would lower themselves to that, but sadly they have.

Does the amp have to be a head + cab? There are some really nice combos that can get the job done for you.

I guess not, but I always thought that only top range combos could be used for gigging and still have a quality sound
Quote by Shylock

Some people prefer combos to stacks, like me. Stacks are too much work sometimes. And I gig regularly, don't be afraid of combos.

You can get a 30 watt (tube) and be able to gig with it. Don't underestimate them.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
get a line6 spidervalve 212. It has the sweet modeling effects of a spider, but tube preamp and poweramp so it sound SWEEET. They're only $800 dollars new in the US, so you should be able to afford it.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
Here's the thing with gigging - the amp only needs to be loud enough that you can hear yourself over the drums. I have a 100 watt valve combo and have yet to turn it up past about 2 at a gig, simply because above that the other band members complain that the stage volume is too loud, and it's miked anyway so it doesn't really matter. Hell, even if there's the odd stage that's too big for your amp, such a stage will undoubtedly have monitors, so you can just get the soundguy to put some guitar in your monitors.

Therefore, no need for 150 watts. I'd recommend (surprise surprise) a small tube amp. How small? Well I'm not sure if the epiphone valve jr (sometimes rebadged under different names such as legacy) would cut it - you'd need to ask the valve jr folks about that. However, something ~30+ watts (tube that is) shouldn't have any problems. Depending on your taste you have the options of the fender hotrod, marshall dsl401, as well as some other contenders - but to recommend we need YOUR BUDGET (which means that you obviously haven't read the stickies which makes X ANGRY )

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
hey man

i live in Australia and feel your pain at our lack of music store. Anyways, i play a few pubs and clubs in a cover band around the joint, and ive used a Marshall AVT-100 (retail $1000 aussie dollars) and its done the job fine. Most places have a decent PA system and you just mic up your amp
dude ur best bet is probably a bugera and some pedals like an overdrive, eq and a noise gate.
Quote by Auldy001
hey man

i live in Australia and feel your pain at our lack of music store. Anyways, i play a few pubs and clubs in a cover band around the joint, and ive used a Marshall AVT-100 (retail $1000 aussie dollars) and its done the job fine. Most places have a decent PA system and you just mic up your amp

I feel so bad for you guys. I was just visiting New Zealand (north island) 2 weeks ago, & I can't believe how crappy the music stores are there (I live in California). You can't buy anything decent anywhere. To the TS- I'd seriously recommend buying from a reputable seller on ebay (ebay has a LOT of music stores that sell online), & save up a bit more money to cover the ridiculous cost of shipping down under. Trouble is, you may have to just go by recommendations & sound clips due to the fact that there's no good amps to try out. I swear, the next time I go to Aus or NZ, I'm bringing 2 amp heads as carry-on bags, & sell them there for huge profit, & it'll still be a great deal for whoever buys them!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by xifr
Here's the thing with gigging - the amp only needs to be loud enough that you can hear yourself over the drums. I have a 100 watt valve combo and have yet to turn it up past about 2 at a gig, simply because above that the other band members complain that the stage volume is too loud, and it's miked anyway so it doesn't really matter. Hell, even if there's the odd stage that's too big for your amp, such a stage will undoubtedly have monitors, so you can just get the soundguy to put some guitar in your monitors.

Therefore, no need for 150 watts. I'd recommend (surprise surprise) a small tube amp. How small? Well I'm not sure if the epiphone valve jr (sometimes rebadged under different names such as legacy) would cut it - you'd need to ask the valve jr folks about that. However, something ~30+ watts (tube that is) shouldn't have any problems. Depending on your taste you have the options of the fender hotrod, marshall dsl401, as well as some other contenders - but to recommend we need YOUR BUDGET (which means that you obviously haven't read the stickies which makes X ANGRY )

he said about $2000 AUS. a few posts up if you would have read it..haha
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
Quote by AndyRevenge
he said about $2000 AUS. a few posts up if you would have read it..haha

My bad :/

In that case you can get pretty much anything (well, within reason). Even things that are outside your budget by a little can be haggled down or by a lot can be found used. Go to stores and try stuff - only you can be the judge of what you like.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
You may not need a halfstack, a 50w combo is more than suffice.

But You could get a nice Orange Tiny Terror with a 412 cab. Perfect for home and probably good enough for the average Gig that a UG plays at. Besides you can mic it.

Also if you want a reasonably large halfstack i'd look into a Bugera, they're fairly priced.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Hey Matty,
So you have about AU$2000 to play with .. you should check out the ENGL Screamer 50 Combo.
The flame rises but it soon descends, empty pages and a frozen pen.
Last edited by effected_50 at Oct 17, 2008,
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
get a line6 spidervalve 212. It has the sweet modeling effects of a spider, but tube preamp and poweramp so it sound SWEEET. They're only $800 dollars new in the US, so you should be able to afford it.

DONT get a spider valve. i owned a spider 3 half stack and sold it. the spider valve sounds almost IDENTICAL. its still a tube amp with modeling distortion and effects. the cleans sound a bit better tho ill give it that. there is also much more feedback (at least in the one i tried)
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by psss
Im from aus to mate and have the same price problems. Best options personally. Buy a used Mesa boogie dc head and a half decent used cabinet on ebay from America. then buy a step down transformer. Thats what i would do if i had $2000. Other then that you can find lots of stuff used on ebay from America that you would be able to aford

tbh I don't think going that route is worth it at all. First you still have to pay for shipping. Second transformers are massive. Third you pretty much lose the warranty (well you'd have to send it back, which would be more expensive than just fixing it). Fourth you have the risk that it will get damaged in transit.
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.