Page 1 of 2
I'm GASsin hard for an EL34 head

Thinking of:

Peavey Windsor
Crate V100H
Laney AOR (is it EL34?)
Laney GH50L

whatever else.

The pros of the first two are that they are teh cheep. But . It'd take me at least 3 months to get the dough to get anything over 500.

Help a brotha out?
Garage Rock and maaaaaaybe a little stoner/sluge/doom rock/metal.

Like The Black Keys on one hand an Eyehategod or Black Sabbath on the other hand.
matamp king street....

but of those four I'd say either of the laneys. AORs are very nice sounding amps.
My Stuffs
Whammy->DL4->Holy Grail->MXR 108->Mesa Rectoverb
OCD->Sun Face->Big Muff->535Q->DL4->Orange TT
Quote by Kino22x
matamp king street....

I wish

Man, do I wish

Quote by guitar/bass76
Self control?

Why?
Maybe save for one really good amp - what's the one I'm looking for?

anyway, when you really work towards something isn't it supposed to be better appreciated?
Quote by guitar/bass76
Maybe save for one really good amp - what's the one I'm looking for?

anyway, when you really work towards something isn't it supposed to be better appreciated?

I'm an adult, and I don't need advice on financial situations, thank you very much. If you would like to lecture someone on the ideals of getting one really good amp, go ahead. I don't see myself spending more than a grand on any amp within the next five years anyway, and I'm trying to put a gigging band together right now.

I couldn't own just one amp anyway; what I do is to broad.
Whoa - miscommunication maybe.

I wasn't jumping on you about finances but suggesting that instead of going for a second amp and cheaping out - you work with what you've got. I saw your thread with the clips for stoner rock tone, and I'm thinking you could continue to use the crate for your current needs and be more selective in the long run so that you get the tone your after.

I'm certainly not suggesting you use only one of anything - I'm all for as much gear as you have space for, but it seems wasteful to get a collection of cheaper gear and never get any closer to whatever dream gear you aspire to have.

I notice you mention gigging - if the crate isn't adequate then I fully understand the need for a new amp, but you hadn't mentioned this and I hadn't considered it.
That Windsor is a good amp. Its inexpensive too. I used one at a bar gig when my 900 went down. It sounded pretty, good with a few pedals infront. I recommend at least a tube swap though. Go for the Peavey, you could probably take it home tomorrow for how cheap it is.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by guitar/bass76
Whoa - miscommunication maybe.

I wasn't jumping on you about finances but suggesting that instead of going for a second amp and cheaping out - you work with what you've got. I saw your thread with the clips for stoner rock tone, and I'm thinking you could continue to use the crate for your current needs and be more selective in the long run so that you get the tone your after.

I'm certainly not suggesting you use only one of anything - I'm all for as much gear as you have space for, but it seems wasteful to get a collection of cheaper gear and never get any closer to whatever dream gear you aspire to have.

I notice you mention gigging - if the crate isn't adequate then I fully understand the need for a new amp, but you hadn't mentioned this and I hadn't considered it.

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Personally, I'm a firm believer in the power of mid level gear. It's always useful to have a beater around, ya know? Even moreso with guitars, IMO.

Which is why I was considering the V100H. The Crate has the tone, but the EL84's just lack that extra oomph.

I do understand what you are saying, though. One of the Laneys would definitely get me where I want to be for a looong time, as would a JCM 800.

Lots of decisions to make.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I'm surprised you haven't found something on craigslist, goolz

There was a Windsor head on CL for 150, but I didn't have the money at the time
I'd suggest the AOR, the bottom end is huge (played a late 80's model - I don't know if they all had the pullpots, but that'll be the one for you).

A brief look tells me the only laney aor in california is for sale in sacremento - but at $600 I wouldn't touch it with a very long rod.

That's a bad deal about the windsor, I hope you keep a rainy day fund for such instances in the future
Tint Terror?

Just kidding.

But I would go with the Laney GH, it's nice as Laneys go (I'm not a big fan of Laney).
Quote by guitar/bass76
I'd suggest the AOR, the bottom end is huge (played a late 80's model - I don't know if they all had the pullpots, but that'll be the one for you).

A brief look tells me the only laney aor in california is for sale in sacremento - but at $600 I wouldn't touch it with a very long rod.

That's a bad deal about the windsor, I hope you keep a rainy day fund for such instances in the future

Yeah, I saw that one. That's actually a fair price, from what I've seen on other laneys, but like I said, I'm three months away from affording that.

I'm really liking the Laneys.

I think that's where I'm gonna go- either an AOR, a GH50L.
Quote by sesstreets
Diezel herbert.

/thread

1. I don't use high gain
2. I like power tube overdrive
3. I only need one channel
4. Blech
5. Too expensive.
Get an old marshall head. I've heard some negative opinions of the windsor, and while having no experience with the others, doubt that they would be better sounding than the cranked/attenuatorised marshall.

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Yes but you aren't everyone in this thread. Besides, like 80% of ug is there to learn how to get br00tal sounds from their amp. Regardless.

1 Hebert
2 Marshall jcm 800
3 Bugera 6262
4 Triple rec.
5 idk a valveking
Last edited by sesstreets at Oct 16, 2008,
Quote by xifr
Get an old marshall head. I've heard some negative opinions of the windsor, and while having no experience with the others, doubt that they would be better sounding than the cranked/attenuatorised marshall.

A JMP 2204 would be perfect.

Does anyone have info on a Hiwatt Lead 50?
Quote by sesstreets
Yes but you aren't everyone in this thread. Besides, like 80% of ug is there to learn how to get br00tal sounds from their amp. Regardless.

1 Hebert
2 Marshall jcm 800
3 Bugera 6262
4 Triple rec.
5 idk a valveking

Are you thick?

Go back and read the OP.
man i really wanna suggest this: http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/amps/guitar-amps/Blackheart/BH100H.asp

big surprise comin' from me, right? LOL. but i know it's gotta sound f*ckin' nice.

anyway, out of those, i'd definitely try out a windsor. i understand the 'cost effective' route, so power to ya. also, you should be looking for a Sovtek Mig 100 on eBay and such, those are apparently great clones of JCM800s (if not clones very close).

good luck!

slash_edit: sesstress....wtf...ARE you thick?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
man i really wanna suggest this: http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/amps/guitar-amps/Blackheart/BH100H.asp

big surprise comin' from me, right? LOL. but i know it's gotta sound f*ckin' nice.

anyway, out of those, i'd definitely try out a windsor. i understand the 'cost effective' route, so power to ya. also, you should be looking for a Sovtek Mig 100 on eBay and such, those are apparently great clones of JCM800s (if not clones very close).

good luck!

slash_edit: sesstress....wtf...ARE you thick?

The haven't even released the Hot Head yet

Unless that's the only place that has it

AMS has the V100H for teh cheap right now, and I kinda want it, but the power switching on the Hot Head looks like my kind of feature.

EDIT: I'm really gassing for a Hot Head now
**** it, I'm getting another job.

If you guys don't see me around much in the coming months, it's because I'm earning GAS money
haha are you going for the Hot Head? after falling in love with my LG, i can only expect fantastic things from the 100 watt head....yum...i'd buy that before a marshall, not cuz i don't like marshall, but b/c blackheart just sounds so friggin' good.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/839724834.html

Anyone know anything about this thing?
Quote by xifr

I'm with xifr on this. I tried a Windsor before, & for $399 new it's pretty good, BUT-I found it WAAAAYY too loose & inarticulate for my style of playing.

Goolz-If you're into a JCM 800, I see them fairly frequently at shops in San Jose in the $550-$750 range. I'll keep my eyes open for your next amp while you save the extra cash. I gotta agree with the guy who spoke against accumulating a bunch of cheap gear & foregoing getting what you really want. I realize you're an adult, but I'm an old guy, & I learned years ago that instead of thinking "How much do I have, & what can I get with what I have?", it's much more rewarding to think "What do I REALLY want, & what do I have to do to get it?". Sell some extra crap on ebay or something to get the dough. People will buy ANYTHING! I'll pm you if I see the br00talz dealz on a JCM 800.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=NOMAD
Judging by the fact that you posted an Orange County craigslist item, I'm gonna take it that you live in Cali. Lucky for you (but you probably already know this) Carvin is a cali-based company and has several stores in cali. I tried this thing out when I was on a trip to San Diego, and I loved it. I don't have a fantastic ear for tone, but I liked it.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by sesstreets

1 Hebert
2 Marshall jcm 800
3 Bugera 6262
4 Triple rec.
5 idk a valveking

Yes, but he's the one who's asking for suggestions, not "everyone in this thread"

Honestly, if I were buying a new amp, I would've be looking at the Crate, it's just a louder version of what you have really, I'd be looking for something that has a different tone, but I still liked. If that makes any sense

Out of your list, the GH50L owns all imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
riffhog - you do realize that if Goolz get's a JCM800 we will never hear from him again don't you? And I agree with your line of thought as well.
Goolz - pepto bismol - lots of pepto bismol.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by riffhog
I'm with xifr on this. I tried a Windsor before, & for $399 new it's pretty good, BUT-I found it WAAAAYY too loose & inarticulate for my style of playing.

Goolz-If you're into a JCM 800, I see them fairly frequently at shops in San Jose in the $550-$750 range. I'll keep my eyes open for your next amp while you save the extra cash. I gotta agree with the guy who spoke against accumulating a bunch of cheap gear & foregoing getting what you really want. I realize you're an adult, but I'm an old guy, & I learned years ago that instead of thinking "How much do I have, & what can I get with what I have?", it's much more rewarding to think "What do I REALLY want, & what do I have to do to get it?". Sell some extra crap on ebay or something to get the dough. People will buy ANYTHING! I'll pm you if I see the br00talz dealz on a JCM 800.

Maybe you should listen to this. He DOES own a SLO, a Mojave and didn't you recently get a 5150III?

Either way, I thought the Windsor was decent. And the AOR is pretty beast. i would test out those both, they seem good. You may also want to check out A BH Handsome devil. I don't know if it has el34s but it looks promising
Quote by MatrixClaw

Out of your list, the GH50L owns all imo.

GH50L is fantastic for high gain (especially with a Tubescreamer, though it doesn't need it), mid gain (think sleazy SRV kind of tone with a single coil) and low gain. Cleans are good too, but I prefer the 6L6 kind of clean tone.

It is also a very bright sounding amp, which can be fixed (if its a problem to you) by lowering the treble and using the presence as the treble.
Quote by tombo32

GH50L is fantastic for high gain (especially with a Tubescreamer, though it doesn't need it), mid gain (think sleazy SRV kind of tone with a single coil) and low gain. Cleans are good too, but I prefer the 6L6 kind of clean tone.

It is also a very bright sounding amp, which can be fixed (if its a problem to you) by lowering the treble and using the presence as the treble.
I've heard some GH50L's have 6L6's. True? Do they have a switchable poweramp?
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
I've heard some GH50L's have 6L6's. True? Do they have a switchable poweramp?

I think they come with 5881's but are switchable.
Quote by SG thrasher
They used to come with 5881's when they were first released then in the late 90's, i think it was, the tolex, corners etc were changed along with them coming with EL34's stock.
The GH would suit you well, they're brilliant amps.
EDIT: It is switchable from 5881/6L6 to EL34/E34L's.

What's the difference between a GH and an AOR 50?
Page 1 of 2