I have been playing for close to 2 years now and still i have a lot of trouble hearing notes and melodies and then placing them on the fretboard and then playing them.

Does anyone have any advice on what i should do to improve?
alright thanks alot, Il try to put it in my practice routine and work on it alot more
Don't limit yourself to dictation, though. Learn to sight sing everything/anything with solfege. It's an essential skill for any serious musician. I favour fixed-do but either system is fine.
Do Re Mi Fa So La Si Do

It's using syllables for notes. Like:

C = Do
G = So
B = Si

There are more syllables for sharp and flat, check out the wiki page.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
isnt it do re mi fa so la ti do???
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Some people use Ti or Si, just like So or Sol. I use Ti myself.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
ti is nice because it avoids confusion with C / si

but I'm used to do re mi fa sol la si do

But you don't just pretend you're a von trapp with them you use them to sing melodies.