So I've been playing guitar for about four years now, and my father has decided that he would like to learn how to play as well. I went and got him a good Yamaha acoustic for me to teach him on.

Now, I've taught a few people the basics on learning how to play before, but this time around it's very different. My father seems to have extremely large fingertips, along with a lot of extra skin on the bottoms of his fingers. This is making it extremely difficult for him to position his fingers to play chords without muting the other strings around his fingertips. It is extremely frustrating for both of us, and since this is a genetic thing that he cannot control, we've decide to look about for a solution to this problem.

So here is my question. Are there any guitars that have wider than normal fretboards for people with this type of problem? Or is there something else we should do?
[[Current Projects:La Villa Strangiato , Cygnus X-1 ]]
Ibanez SA120
Digitech RP350 Modified
Fender Princeton 650
DR Color Coats
Slinky Hybrids
Gator Grips 2.0mm
Wider distance between frets? or Hight of the strings?

Well, You could give the guitar really low action, but that would make buzzing when you play open strings. and there are Wider Frets, they generally have to be custom made. But other than teaching him to arch over the strings, your hands are pretty tied.

Maybe it'll come good in time
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
Last edited by Mr.Pink101 at Oct 16, 2008,
Hopeless isn't it?

Standard steelstring guitars have fingerboard widths poorly suited to polyphonic performance, yet that is one of the very strengths of the guitar compared with most other instruments. Classical guitars have better designed necks for allowing complex musical textures.
It pisses me off so much I get electric guitars custom made for me with wide fingerboards.
So that's basically your only choice: go with a classical guitar or get a custom made instrument.

I wonder when mass production luthiers are going to wake up to this.
Though I have never played one I have heard a few times that Seagull acoustics have a wider fretboard.
Another option would be to buy a 12 string guitar and remove the octave strings.