Page 1 of 3
I saw nothing in the search bar dedicated to him or the stooges, so lets talk about them. This forum is open to discussion about the stooges or iggy pop himself, anything concerning either or both.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Last edited by David_Bowie=GOD at Jan 6, 2009,
yea dude they ****in rock wish i went to this years virgin mobile fest hope they get/got their gear back it sucks when ppl steal your ****
Empire Records one of the best films ever.
His name isnt Warren.
His name isnt Warren.
His name isnt Warren?
I thouht his name was Warren?

"slayer sabbath:
whats wrong with metal, has this website been taking over by power chording, girl pants wearing, emos?"
The Stooges rule hard.
Raw Power is my favorite Stooges album.
I don't have any of Iggy's solo stuff yet. I need to get on that ****.
Anyone who would steal equipment from a great band is a major douche. I vote we chase the guy down and let iggy kick his ass. I dont know if youve seen pics of him lately, but he looks pretty ripped.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
to be honest, i havent yet either, wal mart doesnt sell it, and the only decent music store is in the mall 45 minutes away. Cant download either cuz my computer i download music on broke.

But yeah, if its anything like raw power, then great.

I just love Iggy's vocals.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by neidnarb11890
What's everyone's opinion on The Weirdness?
Is it worth buying, or no?

Weirdness is meh. There are a few good songs on it, a few bleh, nothing spectacular and nothing horrid. The production is a little weird but you get past it.
Iggy's first two solo albums = pure gold. Though I may be slightly Bowie biased.

I saw the Stooges at Virgin Mobile Fest a few days ago and it was beyond excellent. They're an absolutely amazing live band. They still sound fucking great.

Over all, I love the Stooges.
DOWN&OUT
Iggy's good solo albums were all written by Bowie anyway.

Funhouse is 37 minutes of godly perfection.
Yeah Funhouse is the best Stooges album, But Raw Power is got some killer fuggin' tunes...

I Need Somebody is my favorite Stooges song fer sure.... either that or Hard to Beat. or whatever it's called.

Edit: Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Quote by neidnarb11890
The Stooges rule hard.
Raw Power is my favorite Stooges album.
I don't have any of Iggy's solo stuff yet. I need to get on that ****.

I think the Stooges stuff is much better than Iggy´s solo songs, they include some of this 80s garbage, like Keyboards and such things, they´re partly not bad.......Listen to Loco Mosquito or Blah Blah Blah to get a rough impression of how it sounds (knocking em down and I´m Bored are still really good)

So be impressed I´m on the roots of Jett, I´ll see the Stooges this September.
They were fantastic at last years Glasto. I'd like to see them again.
Iggy & the Stooges are amazing. I'm going to have to go with Funhouse as my favorite album. Iggy's solo career is also pretty awesome. Aside from his first two, Brick By Brick is also great.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
The Stooges rule.
From what I've heard, Iggy's solo stuff is ok, but its completely different from the Stooges. Not that I'm complaining.
I'm glad his solo stuff is different from the Stooges. If it wasn't, he'd be kind of pathetic. You can only write the same song so many times.
DOWN&OUT
Quote by Jett Diamond
I'm glad his solo stuff is different from the Stooges. If it wasn't, he'd be kind of pathetic. You can only write the same song so many times.

True, I've always wondered if Lou Reed felt the same way. You know, people constantly telling him to go back to the sound of his original band.
I'm sure it was fairly similar. You need to consistently expand musically. Besides, by the end of the Velvets, they were playing more pop-oriented rock 'n' roll anyways, rather than the experimental nature of their beginnings, so he clearly had a new direction in mind.
DOWN&OUT
I only have Lust For Life and it's pretty good. I'd take the Stooges style over Iggy's solo material any day, but like everyone's said, it's good that it took a different direction.
Quote by neidnarb11890
What's everyone's opinion on The Weirdness?
Is it worth buying, or no?

I bought it, which is weird 'cause I don't usually buy CDs, but any way, I really liked it. My only complaint is that Mike Watt didn't really "do" anything. If I remember correctly, all he did was root notes. You should probably just download it, though. I wish that's all I did, honestly.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
I forgot how good some of the Raw Power songs are actually.

I listened to Gimmie Danger for the first time in a long time a week or so ago and it re-blew my ass off.

I think I wanna hunt down Mettalic KO.

Their "Louie Louie" is pretty good.
The only beef I have with the Stooges is Ron Asheton.

He STILL can't play guitar for sh*t.

I reckon he reached his peak in DAM though.
Not big on the stooges, but just last night I watched a scene from Coffee and Cigarettes with Iggy and Tom Waits in it. Pretty great.
I'm not a punk rock hero and you're no fairy princess, just 'cause you're beautiful and I've got a stupid haircut.
I think the only guitarist Brian doesn't hate is Johnny Thunders.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Last edited by axeslash at Aug 15, 2008,
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I forgot how good some of the Raw Power songs are actually.

I listened to Gimmie Danger for the first time in a long time a week or so ago and it re-blew my ass off.

I think I wanna hunt down Mettalic KO.

Their "Louie Louie" is pretty good.

Gimme Danger is one of my absolute favorite songs; and one of the only ones I can't figure out the guitar part too . Does anyone know how to play it / wanna submit a tab?
DOWN&OUT
Quote by axeslash
I think the only guitarist Brian doesn't hate is Johnny Thunders.

No, Brian has ****-talked Thunders before.
Maybe Jerry Garcia....
Quote by smb
They were fantastic at last years Glasto. I'd like to see them again.

The interview after that gig was hilarious. Watching the vapid happy go lucky presenters faces drop after he said "I can walk into a paki shop and go "hey, I'm Iggy Pop"" was fuggin hilarious.
I love raw power because some of the songs are just damn fun to play on guitar.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
As you can probably tell from my avatar, I like their self titled best. Its not really punk, more garage rock or whatevs, but I love it. Raw Power is a close second for me, and I can't really get into Funhouse all that much. Ive been wanting to pick up The Idiot, because I read his biography and what he and Bowie did in Berlin sounds intriguing.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Iggy's good solo albums were all written by Bowie anyway.

Funhouse is 37 minutes of godly perfection.

Bowie only constructed the original track for Sister Midnight and a few other tracks for The Idiot - lyrics, vocal, patterns and most of that album is still very much Iggy written. Lust For Life was almost all Iggy, or mutual experimentation between the two of them. (I assume those are the good albums you're talking about, and I love Bowie, but he achieved his biggest successes when he was trying to mimic Iggy)

But yes - Funhouse is the album of albums.
And in my opinion The Stooges were the most important American Rock N Roll band - just very unappreciated.
The Idiot's awesome. There's a bit of "shock" listening to it, in comparison to the rest of his work, but I love it. If you dig Bowie's Berlin albums, you'll dig it. It took me a little longer to get into than most of his other stuff, but it's become one of my all time favorite albums.
Lust for Life is fabulous, too, in its own way, though it's worlds different from the Idiot.

EDIT: to Cory: Uhm...what? First off, Bowie never really tried to "mimic" Iggy. He wanted to create his own version of what he heard American bands like the Stooges and the Velvet Underground doing. His was a British pop take on radically different American rock 'n' roll bands. And I wouldn't say his glam rock (or what you referred to as Stooges ripoffs) was his best output, but whatever, that's not why I'm writing this.

It's well known that the bulk of the music on the Idiot was written by Bowie for Iggy, with bits of input from Iggy and Carlos Alomar (on Sister Midnight). Iggy wrote all the lyrics and vocal melodies, but Bowie wrote (and performed a large part of) the music. Iggy was barely in a shape to write, and neither was Bowie. It's often been noted by both Iggy and Bowie (both pleasantly and resentfully depending on the time) that the Idiot was the way Bowie launched his "Berlin" period. Lust for Life was more of a collaboration, with Iggy noting that he had to work at a rapid fire speed to avoid putting out another Bowie album. Bowie wrote Lust for Life's music on a ukulele, to note specifics, while Iggy wrote Sixteen without any collaboration.
DOWN&OUT
Last edited by Jett Diamond at Aug 18, 2008,
What album was that recent Iggy song "Mask" on? I love that song.
Page 1 of 3