Hi,

what do you think about the Vox Valvetronix XL range, are they good enough to record, gig with?

This could be a very verstatile promising amp to get metal/hardrock. Yes its not a full valve amp, but so what? some metal amps are SS anyway.

Also the new VT range, could it also be a good heavy rock/metal amp?
Last edited by Mattlikesguitar at Oct 16, 2008,
Try Google for reviews
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
I've got the Vox AD50VT 212.
To be honest, the people who complained about it not having enough gain for metal must've had difficulty in turning knobs. It sounds fine for metal even on low volumes, but like all tube amps, it sounds better when it's cranked.

The power-amp is powered by a tube, but the effects and modelling is still digital, so it's kinda like a 'mini' tube amp.

And it's plenty loud to gig with.
Quote by Retro Rocker
To be honest, the people who complained about it not having enough gain for metal must've had difficulty in turning knobs. It sounds fine for metal even on low volumes, but like all tube amps, it sounds better when it's cranked.

The power-amp is powered by a tube, but the effects and modelling is still digital, so it's kinda like a 'mini' tube amp.

I think the preamp is actually tube, since it uses a 12AX7.
Try one for yourself. I found the XL to be way to muddy to be worthwhile. Although others have said that with a good EQ pedal it does okay. Personally, I would choose the non-XL models instead.
I think they use a 12ax7 preamp tube in the poweramp stage? correct me if im wrong.
Quote by B. Jammin
I think the preamp is actually tube, since it uses a 12AX7.

Wrong, the amp utilises a 12AX7 in the power-amp. I don't the specifics but it's definitely not in the pre-amp.
Quote by rhettro
Try one for yourself. I found the XL to be way to muddy to be worthwhile. Although others have said that with a good EQ pedal it does okay. Personally, I would choose the non-XL models instead.

+1 the normal VT models can get you a wider variety of tones.
Quote by Ed Hunter
The only time I'd want to touch a 500 degrees frying pan is to set my hand on fire and punch someone in the face.

Quote by Captain Insano
Soulja boy! They stole his gold.
Robbed his Jacket now he's cold!

YOU! Steal from Soulja boy.

*sings over crank that*
Quote by Horlicks
Wrong, the amp utilises a 12AX7 in the power-amp. I don't the specifics but it's definitely not in the pre-amp.

Actually, I think you're wrong. The Vox Valvetronix uses a 12AX7 valve in the preamp stage and everything else is digital. The 12AX7 is used to warm the sound and give it valve-like characteristics before it reaches the power amp stage. This is essentially the same technology as is used on the Vox Tonelab so if you think about it, it MUST be the preamp stage because obviously the Tonelab has no power amp stage at all. Most of these hybrid amps work in much the same way though I'll concede that the Vox does it best. The only exception that leaps to mind is the Line 6 Spider Valve, which uses a valve power amp. On the website you'll see they also claim a valve in the preamp stage but in actual fact it's not used that way.

The Vox Valvetronix are very good but no valve amp and if you want really high gain you're better off with the Roland Cube.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
The Vox Valvetronix are very good but no valve amp and if you want really high gain you're better off with the Roland Cube.

I'm not so sure, I can't see anyone needing more gain that what the VT can put out.
And if they do, they should just stop playing guitar
Quote by Doadman
Actually, I think you're wrong. The Vox Valvetronix uses a 12AX7 valve in the preamp stage and everything else is digital. The 12AX7 is used to warm the sound and give it valve-like characteristics before it reaches the power amp stage. This is essentially the same technology as is used on the Vox Tonelab so if you think about it, it MUST be the preamp stage because obviously the Tonelab has no power amp stage at all. Most of these hybrid amps work in much the same way though I'll concede that the Vox does it best. The only exception that leaps to mind is the Line 6 Spider Valve, which uses a valve power amp. On the website you'll see they also claim a valve in the preamp stage but in actual fact it's not used that way.

Check the Valvetronix manual.
The Tonelab=/=Vox AD.
It uses a 12AX7 in the power amp stage.
In relation to the valve used in a Valvetronix - I stand corrected, it is in the power amp. I can't think where I got the idea it was in the preamp as I could have sworn I'd read that somewhere. Must be old age!!!!

As for the Cube; I didn't say it would give you more gain than an XL, I merely suggested that it did high gain better than the XL whereas for Classic Rock tones the normal Vox Valvetronix is the superior amp.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Retro Rocker
I'm not so sure, I can't see anyone needing more gain that what the VT can put out.
And if they do, they should just stop playing guitar

Quote by Ed Hunter
The only time I'd want to touch a 500 degrees frying pan is to set my hand on fire and punch someone in the face.

Quote by Captain Insano
Soulja boy! They stole his gold.
Robbed his Jacket now he's cold!

YOU! Steal from Soulja boy.

*sings over crank that*
Quote by Retro Rocker

Quote by Ed782
I think they use a 12ax7 preamp tube in the poweramp stage? correct me if im wrong.

The Valvetronix uses a tube in front of the power amp, after the pre-amp as a sort of 'mini power amp', the main purpose is to react with the speaker the same way a tube power amp does.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I've tried the XL and didn't like it, come on, it has too much distortion and too little clean. You will be able to play metal on the Valvetronix too, you don't need the XL.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Don't quote me on this,but I've heard some youtube demos.They seem very loose and muddy to me.You can't get that Rectifier type of tone.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Yes for sure the 12ax7 (normally a preamp tube) is used as power amp tube in the Valvetronix. Anyway yeah, what do people think of the Valvetronix as a metal amp?
ie AD, VT series?
Quote by Retro Rocker

ahaha I agree... it has loads. If i crank the gain all the way you probably wont be able to hear what im playing which means there is more than enough... I have my gain set on about 6 when i play heavy rock and that is plenty of gain for metal..... Also I must say, being a SRV fan I would of thought that this amp wouldn't really be good for tube tones but i noticed that you can get decent tube tones when you start turn it up.
The XL sucks, get the npormal valvetronix, its fine for metal on its own. Also its pretty much nothing close to a valve amp, the valves a gimmick, the fact it sounds good is just down to good modeling.
I got a used AD100VT for ($275) and I'm loving it. It take some time to figure out how to get some good tones out of it but I've found the ones I like.

I find the distortion to be a little muddy but apparently adding eq to the effects loop fixes that issue.
ive used a valvetronix, great amp for the money.
its modeling of course, but the tubes really help.
i would one over a spider valve anyday hands down.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo