It doesn't look like any of the people who are recognized as "knowing what they're talking about" post in the gear thread so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm looking for a new amp, (I'll buy used) to play bands like The Pogues, Tossers Social D, Bad Religion, Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly and the like. I can save up, but would like to buy used in the $300 price range (I have some time, so I can wait for a good deal)

I have a crappy practice amp that's fine for practice, but I have an invite from a buddy in an Irish band to jam with him and maybe do a couple gigs. The above bands are what his band covers. I play metal in my free time, but I want to be able to pull off the punk and Irish stuff....

I'd also like some recommendations for a pedal or two for the punk genres.

I'm also looking to buy an Agile AL-3100 (the LP copy). I think I've made a pretty good choice here, but feel free to throw in your 2 cents here as well.

Thanks in advance everyone!!!!!
Last edited by Hobbes33 at Oct 16, 2008,
Crate v series. They are SO cheap right now. And if you want a bit more distortion on it just get a digitech bad monkey (modeled sorta kinda after the tube screamer 808 from ibanez)

Thats a good cheapish combo. as for which amp of the v-series, just go by price and size.
Quote by sesstreets
Crate v series. They are SO cheap right now. And if you want a bit more distortion on it just get a digitech bad monkey (modeled sorta kinda after the tube screamer 808 from ibanez)

Thats a good cheapish combo. as for which amp of the v-series, just go by price and size.

Cool, thanks. This, the Peavey XXX and a Classic 30 are the ones I'm kinda looking at right now...
Unless I get a killer deal on a XXX I think it' out of my price range.

Seriously leaning towards a classic 30- Agile AL-3100 combo......still considering the Crate V though as well....any advice?

Thanks again guys
the crate V33 is voiced pretty similarly to the classic 30 as i recall, so thats a pretty good option on a budget. and for the price they are going for these days, id say thats a pretty good bet. a classic 30 used may also be found in that price range, but you will have to look around.

nice choice in music btw
Depending on where you live you should be able to get a classic 30 for $300. What major city do you live near?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I currently live a little north of San Diego...I'm overseas right now, but am contemplating looking for a classic 30 or the Crate V series once I get back...
Thanks again for the help guys
When you get back, look for adds like this one on craigslist.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/msg/881049491.html It is listed as a classic 30 but actually it is a Delta Blues. Basically the same exact amp only the DB has tremolo and a bigger speaker. Tremolo is similar to Fender's vibrato effect and is good for oldies, blues, surf etc.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/msg/876273201.html This crate Vintage Club would also be perfect for what you play, listed at $250, it's a steal. Great little amp.
Thank you for your service, it's a pleasure to help you.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to look for those when I get back.
I really appreciate all the help.