hey guys, i just started a course in computing, and im having trouble getting used to java and how it works. i was wondering if any of you wonderful pit monkeys could give me any advice or better yet any instructional websites explaining how java works and how to use it. (ive already searched using google, and i couldn't find anything that good, so i thought some of you might know).

oh, and btw im using a program called blueJ(made from java or something like that), if that changes anything.

thanx
Quote by marchoso
Well, you sort of need to understand C++ first.

Not completely true. Sure it would be useful but I mean I'm starting out at uni with Java being my first ever programming language, and I've been taught well and I'm understanding it fine. On the other hand though, we haven't done anything overly complex yet

But TS, is it the coding you are having trouble with? If so, try posting it here.

My Website

Sometimes I make people spurt:
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
sigged for making me spurt guiness on my laptop...damn you!

Quote by imdeth

Jimmy that was pure awesomeness. WIN!
Nope sorry. I've always wanted to learn how to write java...the most i can do is html
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
thrs no specific code im having trouble with, i mean im in a similar situations as u, this is my first programming language. we're not doing anytihng too complex just yet, but im just having trouble understanding the way things should be structured, it just isnt making too much sense; and i seem to be the only one that cant get to grips with it.
we hav just been set an assignment to fix a simple (apparently) sound player, but even then, i dont know where to start!!! kinda as if they've thrown us into the deep end.

ive tried reading the book we had to buy, but its not helping that much :S
Quote by jimmyjimbo72
Not completely true. Sure it would be useful but I mean I'm starting out at uni with Java being my first ever programming language, and I've been taught well and I'm understanding it fine. On the other hand though, we haven't done anything overly complex yet

But TS, is it the coding you are having trouble with? If so, try posting it here.

C++ is just an absolute goldmine of beginner freedom with so much more upside than Java. Learning C++ also makes more sense given that Java derives the majority of its system from C++. Java is great for beginners because of how basic it is and how you can do so much with it, but it's a pretty bland and boring language.
Quote by wahappen

This is a guitar community not Romper Room.
Quote by marchoso
C++ is just an absolute goldmine of beginner freedom with so much more upside than Java. Learning C++ also makes more sense given that Java derives the majority of its system from C++. Java is great for beginners because of how basic it is and how you can do so much with it, but it's a pretty bland and boring language.

Me wantz in.

My Website

Sometimes I make people spurt:
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
sigged for making me spurt guiness on my laptop...damn you!

Quote by imdeth

Jimmy that was pure awesomeness. WIN!
im doing html, and will need to do xtml, but im not having any problems with that yet...thankfully!
There are mountains of Java tutorials on the Net, each a Google search away.

And use Eclipse.

But I agree that between Java and C++ you should definitely learn the latter.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Seraf
hey guys, i just started a course in computing, and im having trouble getting used to java and how it works. i was wondering if any of you wonderful pit monkeys could give me any advice or better yet any instructional websites explaining how java works and how to use it. (ive already searched using google, and i couldn't find anything that good, so i thought some of you might know).

oh, and btw im using a program called blueJ(made from java or something like that), if that changes anything.

thanx

There's nothing like a free textbook in the morning
http://www.netbks.com/programming/java/java-concepts-for-java-5-and-6_12271.html
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
HTML won't help you with Java. They have literally nothing in common. And XHTML is just HTML with some self-closing elements (<hr /> vs <hr> and some shit stripped out (At least, the parts you'll need are) so.. that is easy.

I know PHP, and a bit of Ruby and C++.. PHP is my language of choice though.

Covering the ground things which seem really boring is the most integral part of learning, I think. Having a proper understanding - not just knowing - of how and why a language works will help you infinitely when it comes to more complicated things.

That being said, I do not know much about Java except that it has a reputation for being clunky and archaic. Good luck with it. Code is sexy.
My name is Marc! Silly username.
hey guys, cheers for all the help! means a lot. had a lecture today that helped a bit, im just gonna keep at it...as for my assignment, well im jst gonna pray that i manage to do it lol. anyway, once again cheers for all the support!