Page 1 of 2
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/rhcp_bassist_goes_back_to_school.html

it turns out flea is going back to school to learn what the thing he was doing on bass was called

do you reckon if he really learns what he was doing that he will be considered less overrated?

discuss
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
No, he'll still be considered overrated. Because really, he's overrated.
yeah bt will he be considered less overrated

like still overrated just not as much?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
thats cool that he can show the humility and do that
its a pretty bigt thing for him to admit
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
Quote by urf_

true but hes mainly going back for the musical theory

so i guess that will carry back onto his bass
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
he was pretty much self taught, thats why his slap technique is 'messy'
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Flea got quite a few people to pick up the bass as an instrument. For that he gets a thumbs up from me.

With that said, yes he has the sloppiest slap technique I've seen. I grew up listening to Larry Graham (Sly and the Family Stone) and if you listen to just the recorded versions of RHCP's "If you want me to stay" vs Sly and the Family stone's version, its quite evident.

And whether going back to school and picking up more formal music training solve that? Its anyone's guess but I doubt it.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Well, slapping roots and octaves don't take much knowing

QFT

But I'm not sure how big a difference this will make unless he records a lot more music for people to compare to his old stuff.

Though, the bass playing on a lot of BSSM is TASTY!
good for him i think its cool thats hes willing to say that theres more he can learn about being a musician. but i think hes gonna get ripped apart without knowing how to read sheet music.
Will he still be overrated?

Will he still play the songs that people consider overrated?

Yes, therefore yes.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I dont believe he was overrated to begin with, but Im not going to open that can of worms...
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
^ too late

I see learning about theory potentially hurting Flea, the most interesting part of his playing is his use of accidentals. Maybe learning theory would improve his song writing tho...
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
-Looks for the can opener-
How is he overrated? People just don't give him his due credit.
Flea shouldn't be overrated - he puts pretty sweet basslines in what has become mainstream music which doesn't seem to happen much these days. In turn his playing leads to kids picking up a bass, which i reckon's pretty important.

Sure Jaco, Marcus Miller et al are better players but Flea never pretended to be the worlds greatest bassist. In my opinion i reckon its more important to get kids inspired to play...and there ain't a whole lot of kids cranking Portrait of Tracy lol. But thats just my warped opinion!

Oh and nah it won't stop people viewing him as overrated...cos thats their opinion i guess.
^ It's true. I think his level of technique is overrated, but his levels of groove and awesome are not. And he is getting people to pick up bass.

EDIT: Does this remind anyone else instantly of when Brian May went to college to learn astronomy? except this time it's a lot less random
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by Arcticallica

Oh and nah it won't stop people viewing him as overrated...cos thats their opinion i guess.

Because it will always be "cool" for musicians to hate three things:
Flea
St. Anger
and AC/DC
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay

FUK

Quote by kugelspot

EDIT: Does this remind anyone else instantly of when Brian May went to college to learn astronomy? except this time it's a lot less random

He dropped the course when Queen became successful- completely the opposite of what's happened here. And it wasn't college- it was a PhD. And it wasn't astronomy, it was astrophysics.
I'm going to place an analogy here. For those of you who watch sports, this might help.

Dirk Nowitzki has the worst form when shooting the jump shot, but some how his shots are made. This is because its the way he practiced all his life. Does that make him overated because he doesnt use the right form? No, it just means he found a way to score which is a bit unorthodox. Flea is the same way. People hate on him because he may have a sloppy slapping technique.

Now, I'm not a Flea lover, but I just hate how people hate on a guy for making it big because he's a 'sloppy' player. Oh, well. I hope I contributed to the can of worms!
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Quote by randomhero65
I'm going to place an analogy here. For those of you who watch sports, this might help.

Dirk Nowitzki has the worst form when shooting the jump shot, but some how his shots are made. This is because its the way he practiced all his life. Does that make him overated because he doesnt use the right form? No, it just means he found a way to score which is a bit unorthodox. Flea is the same way. People hate on him because he may have a sloppy slapping technique.

Now, I'm not a Flea lover, but I just hate how people hate on a guy for making it big because he's a 'sloppy' player. Oh, well. I hope I contributed to the can of worms!

The don't hate him because he made it big with a bad technique, they hate him because he could have a cleaner technique, be a better player and more bassists could be better. Instead of getting some guy with awful technique saying "well, it's how I play and Flea also does it! OLOLOLOL"
Quote by Deliriumbassist
He dropped the course when Queen became successful- completely the opposite of what's happened here. And it wasn't college- it was a PhD. And it wasn't astronomy, it was astrophysics.

No I mean when he went back like a year or so ago
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I'm going to laugh when he drops out.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by kugelspot
No I mean when he went back like a year or so ago

He's a professor of Astrophysics now...
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
I believe Dexter Holland of Offspring was another PhD candidate. I actually know someone who went through the USC Master program with him in Molecular Biology. Rumour has it he was one dissertation away from a doctorate.

When I mentioned sloppy in reference to Flea's style, its more of what Raul pointed out in his post above. Its not some much his unorthodox slap technique, it just not very clean sounding or tight at times. But he's made a lucrative career out of it, so who I am to judge? Its just not my cup of tea, so to speak.
Arent the Chili Peppers' roots in punk funk?

And how come all kinds of sloppy guitarists get praised but a sloppy bass player is a big no-no?
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay

FUK

Quote by bassmanjoe08
Arent the Chili Peppers' roots in punk funk?

And how come all kinds of sloppy guitarists get praised but a sloppy bass player is a big no-no?

Because guitarists are idiots.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
As a guitarist, is much more forgivable to have a less than ideal technique because if the drums and the bass are dead on, its alot less noticable. With the exeption of ska, I can get way with a loose timing and playing as a rhythm guitarist that frankly would be criminal as a bass player.
Yeah but technique is different from timing. When you've been playing with the same dude as long as Flea has, your timing and locking in is on the ball. RHCP's music is a tribute to that, Chad and Flea play amazingly well. His technique is nowhere near optimal, but I guess it works for him.

Oh yeah, does anyone else find it awkward to have your thumb COMPLETELY parallel to the strings? You have to keep your arm in a weird position, and popping becomes really uncomfortable for me. I usually have at least a little angle.
^ I'm positioned in such a way that my hand goes 45 degrees across the strings, and my thumb out at about 60 degrees from that so it's parallel, with my elbow resting on the end of my bass. This isn't that awkward a position, and really opens up the four fingers for popping on all strings, even the A which can sometimes require a hand shift if you're thumbing the E.
Personally I like fleas sloppy technique....
1) the amount of attack you get in comparison to an orthodox technique is incredible,

2) if everyone was so elitist about slap technique everyone would sound like mark king!!

3) if everyone was so elitist about slap technique victor wooten would have never learned double thumbing which he only learned to do because his regular slap technique was too sloppy to play a larry graham song!
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Flea
St. Anger
and AC/DC

You forgot nirvana. And Possibly coldplay.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
[quote="'Millsy[TS"]']Personally I like fleas sloppy technique....
1) the amount of attack you get in comparison to an orthodox technique is incredible,

2) if everyone was so elitist about slap technique everyone would sound like mark king!!

3) if everyone was so elitist about slap technique victor wooten would have never learned double thumbing which he only learned to do because his regular slap technique was too sloppy to play a larry graham song!
Love it - the hypocrisy of countering technique elitism with everything-is-good elitism is a thing of beauty.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
[quote="'Millsy[TS"]']

You do realize Larry Graham was double thumping long before Wooten was?
Quote by IndianRockStar
You do realize Larry Graham was double thumping long before Wooten was?

Thats not entierly true what Larry did was quite different from what Victor does now, obviously Victor's technique was based on what Larry did BUT I read an interview with the bassist that Larry personally chose to replace him when he left the family stone and he said that Sly Stone himself played a part in developing double thumbing
Quote by ImaHighwayChile
Thats not entierly true what Larry did was quite different from what Victor does now, obviously Victor's technique was based on what Larry did BUT I read an interview with the bassist that Larry personally chose to replace him when he left the family stone and he said that Sly Stone himself played a part in developing double thumbing

Yeah but the point that Wooten didn't magically come up with this crazy technique still stands. He just took it to a completely different level of complexity, not to bash him. Whether you want to give Larry Graham the credit for inventing it is a different matter entirely, but he was thumbing away.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Flea
St. Anger
and AC/DC

It's cool to hate AC/DC?

But whether Flea is overrated or not doesn't really matter as he's had thousands of kids pick up and play bass because of him and to me that's better than being the perfect musician.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by CoolDudeMorgasm
It's cool to hate AC/DC?

But whether Flea is overrated or not doesn't really matter as he's had thousands of kids pick up and play bass because of him and to me that's better than being the perfect musician.

great way to put it. I'd rather inspire generations than be accepted by my peers for perfect technique.

however, there is much to be said by letting both go hand in hand.

and, what if Flea learns proper technique? will he be faster? will he play better?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Page 1 of 2