so im planning on having one of my guitars tuned to drop c permanently, and i was wondering what would be the best gauge strings and if i would need to mess with the truss rod for that.

thanks in advance
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
depends on the guitar. i've got 11's for my les paul and 12's for my strat
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Heavy gauge strings, 11-12's work

and dont go messing with your truss rod unless youve got a problem with it
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
and you will most likely have to "mess" with your truss rod, when moving up to a heavier gauge of strings, it puts much more strain on the neck, so it will likely be overbowed... Truss rod adjustments arent that hard, or dangerous to do unless you are being an idiot. there are plenty of good sites that give great explinations as to how to do this. If you want one of these sites let me know, I have them bookmarked at home, though im not at home now or i would just post it.
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
I just use 10's for Drop C on my Les Paul. They feel a little loose but it sounds great.
when i play drop C i use ernie bell skinny bottoms, heavy tops which are normally 10-52's and they sound great
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
and you will most likely have to "mess" with your truss rod, when moving up to a heavier gauge of strings, it puts much more strain on the neck, so it will likely be overbowed...

No. I went from 9's to 11's and my neck's just fine.

And definitely not when he's downtuning
DR 11-50 best sound best feel
My Gear:
LTD EC-1000 (duncan jb/jazz)
Schecter SLS (EMGs)
ESP Horizon
6505 head
Marshall 1960lead cab
Boss noise gate
maxon od808
boss chorus
boss de-7
Dunlop strings and tortex 1.14s
Quote by Camaro4726
DR 11-50 best sound best feel

not for drop-C, imho. C requires a 54 in the bottom, at least
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by GuitarHeroUK
when i play drop C i use ernie ball Skinny Top heavy Bottoms which are normally 10-52's and they sound great

Me two all my guitars have'em. There good for me cause im the lead player in my band so i have the chunck when i need it but the strings are still light enough to shred on. Also we play just about everything in Drop C with the exeption of a song in C Standard.
Never pick a fight with an ugly person, they've got nothing to lose.

-Robin Williams
Last edited by Resistance19 at Oct 16, 2008,