on a 25.5" scale guitar, is it possible to get perfect intonation with dropped tunings whether it's dropped C or B?
I'd immagine it is possible since so many bands use the tuning.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Yup its fine

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
why wouldnt it be?

my friend left his LP in B standard for like a month. LPs are 24.75, so I guess youre good to go
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
25.5" scales are more or less designed for lower tunings. They give strings in standard tuning a sturdier feel (although too tense for some), but yeah, you could also try a baritone guitar if you want to go as low as B.
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
USA Jackson KV2 Sunburst
Jackson KE7
BC Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird

Marshall JVM410H
Marshall 1960A

Korg Pitchblack
MXR Super Comp
Dunlop Slash Wah
ISP Decimator
wait... i got an idea

go buy your self a pack of seven string strings....

Problem solved?
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by teknotard
wait... i got an idea

go buy your self a pack of seven string strings....

Problem solved?

what's the difference if the gauge is the same as a six-string set (except for the low B)?
but then again i'm not questioning about gauge. it's about scale length.
longer scale helps for higher tension but otherwise 25.5 is just fine.

in fact the 7 string i have now is a 25.5.

7 string schecters are commonly 26.5
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
^ so is it ok to assume that although lower tunings put less tension on the neck, you need longer scale length to support heavier gauges?
^ not really, 25.5 can support the heavier guages, a longer scale will put more tension on the neck, and so you can use thinner strings to acheive the same tension.

Quote by Sleazeball
25.5" scales are more or less designed for lower tunings. They give strings in standard tuning a sturdier feel (although too tense for some), but yeah, you could also try a baritone guitar if you want to go as low as B.

What? 25.5 is the smallest scale useable for tuning to something like B, and even then you have to use much thicker strings to cut out the mud.

27" is much better if you want to use 9-42s

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
^ not really, 25.5 can support the heavier guages, a longer scale will put more tension on the neck, and so you can use thinner strings to acheive the same tension.

What? 25.5 is the smallest scale useable for tuning to something like B, and even then you have to use much thicker strings to cut out the mud.

27" is much better if you want to use 9-42s

And? You just affirmed what I said. A lot of people use 25.5 scale guitars in standard but longer scale necks won't require as thick strings for downtuning like on 24.75" necks.
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
USA Jackson KV2 Sunburst
Jackson KE7
BC Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird

Marshall JVM410H
Marshall 1960A

Korg Pitchblack
MXR Super Comp
Dunlop Slash Wah
ISP Decimator
I just wanna do a clear sum-up of what everyone has said.

With a 25.5 neck, you wont need as thick strings to get the same tension as a 24.75 neck.
That means that a set of 9s on a 25.5 will feel about the same as a set of 10s on a 24.75.
To get to B, you'll still need heavier strings.
Since 7 string guitars are tuned to B, get a 7 string set, and ditch the one you'd usually use as high E.
To get proper intonation, it's no problem at all. You just need truss rod adjustement if you're switching from standard or something, and intonation adjustement. This shouldn't be expensive if you get it done at a shop, but a bit more expensive if you have a floyd. You could also do it yourself, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you really know what you're doing.
^ why do you have to adjust the truss rod?
all i know is that i prefer ultra-low action and the straighter the neck the better. which means less relief?
You'll have to adjust the truss rod because the string tension will be a lot more if you go from a set of 9s to a set of 7 strings. The neck will bend (headstock going towards the bridge to compensate), so you'll need to adjust the truss rod to compensate for that, precisely to have a straighter neck for perfect action.
Last edited by XnaySaturo at Oct 16, 2008,
You only need a baritone if you go beyond drop-A, imho
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
i put EB 12 - 56s on one of my Schecters for Drop B and Drop A, and it feels really great; notes ring out clearly, getting harmonics hasn't changed at all, it's quite clean, and I hadn't set it up since I had 10s on it in Standard.

/\

and I agree with the Drop A thing. If you can shell out the cash, and you want to pursue Drop A, have a go with Caparisons HGS series. They don't increase the scale length, but instead push back the bridge and pickups 3mm, which doesn't seem like a whole hell of a lot, but it does wonders at adding clarity and brightness to guitars. And they're made to handle teh brootals, since they're factory shipped in B standard. Otherwise, a basic baritone will do the job perfectly.
I go down to drop Ab on my 25.5 scale 7 string, but any lower than that just get's too bassy and mudd, like open C with a low G sounded cool at first, but you really should use a baritone guitar for that sort of thing in order to not have tension and intonation problems.
I use a 25.5 scale guitar currently in Drop- C Tuning. I have even gotten it to Drop -A Tuning and have it work perfectly fine, i actually believe its better than a 24.7 scale guitar on drop tunings.
/\/\

That's why someone like Devin Townsend uses the LTD SC607B, since it's got the extra tension. I really want a 7 string simply to do Open C with the low G and jam on some of The New Black.