Hi all,

My gibson les paul has a bit of fret buzz at the moment around frets 4-9 and i don't think there is enough neck relief as it is very straight. I've tried raising the action and this hasn't helped at all. Question is, how much relief is there meant to be? When I hold fret 1 and fret 17 (where neck meets body) i can't get a credit card in the gap without raising the string, so does this mean there isn't enough?

Also, the the treble side of the neck seems to be straighter than the bass side, is this a worry?

Thanks.
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
Relief is really just to be enough to get rid of all buzz with maximum playability, i dont know any way other than that its worked, tho obviously you dont want large amounts of bowing.

Im not really sure what you mean about holding frets 1 and 17, action is checked usually be distance between string and 12th fret.

To be honest, id take it to a guitar tech if it was me and get it set up if your not sure, the bass side will have slightly more bend but how its not a lot.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by Snapple
Relief is really just to be enough to get rid of all buzz with maximum playability, i dont know any way other than that its worked, tho obviously you dont want large amounts of bowing.

Im not really sure what you mean about holding frets 1 and 17, action is checked usually be distance between string and 12th fret.

To be honest, id take it to a guitar tech if it was me and get it set up if your not sure, the bass side will have slightly more bend but how its not a lot.

He's not checking action, he's checking neck relief and he's doing it correctly,

TS, sounds like there's not quite enough of a gap there so the truss rod could probably do with loosening about 1/8 of a turn - however as always only do it if your 100% confident. Mark the original position of the rod, adjust it, then leave the guitar overnight to settle.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
He's not checking action, he's checking neck relief and he's doing it correctly,

TS, sounds like there's not quite enough of a gap there so the truss rod could probably do with loosening about 1/8 of a turn - however as always only do it if your 100% confident. Mark the original position of the rod, adjust it, then leave the guitar overnight to settle.

Ive never heard of holding down at frets 1 and 17 to check neck relief, i assumed it was action he was looking at as well as relief
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
just to add, dont force the turn, and make sure you're starting with a level bridge.
listen to steven seagull, he knows what he's talking about.

it might take a couple of days, take your time.

if you want, you can keep measure over the high e and the low E side. keep comparing make sure the neck is ok.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i was always told to use a playing card.... not a credit card to check the truss rod settings, being that a credit card is considerably thicker than at playing card this may give your neck too much bow, and you will have fret buzz on the opposite frets
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
if you want a pin straight neck with no back bow, then go for a tiny gap.

some guitars can support this. most cant without any buzz.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011