When I got my Hellraiser, I believe the guy had it prof. set-up with .9s. I didn't really like super slinkys, so I right away set them up with Power Slinkys. Well, lately I've during the 1-2 hr stretch i have of free time a week, I will occasionally fool aorund with guitar. And, to be honest. I havent found it that much fun. I didn't understand, I have a great guitar, great pickups, & a great amp. but my tone sucked.

So I have decided to try and sell my gear for a JCM head or another type of amp & guitar altogether because Im starting to play more modern rock/pop/punk than my previous hardcore/ br00talz

so just for the heck of it, i changed my Hellraiser back to super slinkys.

I was SUPER SHOCKED when i played last night. I found my tone to actually be adaquete and bearable. It was actually fun to play. It seemed like whenever i played a bit of Underoath, Boys Like Girls, or FOB...it just fit. Even for MAYLENE!!

i dont understand, .9s are the lowest gauge you can go, they are so thin.. why the good tone change all of a sudden?

i mean, i still used the same respective settings on my amp given what band i was covering, etc.

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
It could have been a bad set of strings altogether. A good set of strings can really enhance your tone so if you are looking for good Tone dump Ernie Balls. I've tried numerous sets of strings and after much testing Dean Markley's by far have the best Tone and they last the longest. I don't wash my hands before playing, I don't clean my strings, etc. and I'd say my strings last a good 6-8 weeks w/ good tone / staying in tune.
My Gear:
Guitars: Vintage LP, Martin DX-1, Epi Viola Bass,
Amps: Marshall JMD501
Effects: Empty Set right now
does it have a floating bridge. Cause witha floating bridge u can't just change gauge just like that. It will influence the action which means difference in tone.

Even as small as from 0.09 - 0.10 will affect this.

or what above guy said could be bad strings. But really floating bridge and change of gauge is no-no

You went lower string gauge which means less tension which means the strings will be pulled more toward the pickups, means higher fatter output.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
id have to disagree over slinkys. they're very nice strings IMO. i used markleys on my accoustic and they were shit. havent used em again. i use martin now on acc.

anyway back to the first post.

yeh maybe you got a bad set. maybe its all in the fingers!? if your not used to a heavier gauge string your not gonna play right. i tried to be SRV for a month and i lost all my dynamics and feel, switched back to skinny tops (10-52) and things sounded much better.
^^^ agree about the fingers... If they're not strong and flexible enough for those heavy strings, then your tone will suck. Think back to when you first started playing. Also, agree with the part about the guitar not being setup for it. Just changing guages will affect your action, intonation, and neck bow.
well my tone is sooo much better with Skinny top heavy bottom Ernie Ball's...
I play same as you do...they're just sooo much better to play power chords on.
Try them. They're 10-52 in case u were wondering.
9's suck for power chords.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
oh no no, I've played Power slinkys for quite some time. Had them on my old strat, then my epi les paul, then i put them on my Hellraiser.

My calluses have def. built up from playing on higher gauges

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Strings are a big part of the sound, the guage and built affect the way they vibrate, in turn affecting the sound...i just moved to 11's and love the sound, but it can get a little punchy at times
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
i much prefer super slinkys, power slinkys just dont feel nice to me.
and just so you know you get 8s as well, pretty suer they are as low as you can go.
I didnl;t have abig problem going from 0.9s to .10s then to .11sm, aybve you neeed to give em longer and do more finger strenghtening. Also Imho tone comes form your habnds, sounds like you got the gear, maybe you just need to work on the actual playing side to improve your tone? Sprry iof that sounds harsh, not trying to be a jerk, but i sounds to me your like your focusing way too much on gear and not enough on the basic fundamentals of how you actually play, hw much presure you apply on the frets and how you hit the strgns etc.
not jerkish at all Hendrix; very good insight

Yeah, I'm no where NEAR where I want to be playing wise.

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Thats good, some people get really sensitive about it, I am i the same boat as you, I donlt pklay as well as I would like. But the gneral consensus seems to be amongst really good players tht you need to learn how to play well minus all effects including distrotion becuase when you can do so, you can only sound better wioth the effects, and you will not rely on them to make you sound god, which happens a lot. Good luck man.
Quote by HendrixClaptonP
Thats good, some people get really sensitive about it, I am i the same boat as you, I donlt pklay as well as I would like. But the gneral consensus seems to be amongst really good players tht you need to learn how to play well minus all effects including distrotion becuase when you can do so, you can only sound better wioth the effects, and you will not rely on them to make you sound god, which happens a lot. Good luck man.

+1 there needs to be more of this attitude floating around with musicians

EDIT: I agree, I'm nowhere near where I want to be as a musician, probably never will be - but I'm having a blast getting there