HI ....

I'm planning to get a new electric. So after a long search I have pretty much narrowed
down my list to the following Ibanez S series models ...

S 670 FM : http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page2008.php?area_id=3&data_id=1267&color=CL01&year=2008&cat_id=1&series_id=59

S 2170 FW : http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page2008.php?area_id=3&data_id=1265&color=CL01&year=2008&cat_id=1&series_id=59

I noticed that the same tremello system is available on both models. The only
difference between them are

- The pickups
- The top ( the 2170 has a Poplar top whereas the 670 FM has a maple top)

The 2170 costs about 899 £ where as the 670 costs only 499. So this is what I've decided to do, get the 670FM and change the pickups to a more decent set .
I prefer the quilted maple top over the Poplar.

I've played both models at a few stores ...but have never really got the time to check if I will be able to get all the sounds I need out of them (store owners can be real pricks sometimes). Now the question is..."will this give me the sounds and tones that I need ? "

I play mostly hard rock and metal (Metallica, GNR, Van Halen, Megadeth, Mr Big)....
and I wont be able to get another electric for a while now ...so I dont want to end up with something that won't be sufficient for to play stuff by the above mentioned bands.
The 2170 is a Prestige, which means it will play much better. If you can afford it, go for the 2170.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
the 2170 probably does play better, but if you're planning on upgrading the pickups, I don't see any reason why the 670 couldn't sound as good. You should definitely be able to get the sort of tones you need out of either of those guitars, Ibanez has a good reputation in metal, and Paul Gilbert's signature (along with Satriani, Vai, etc., but since you mentioned Mr. Big) is an Ibanez, and if you swap out the pickups you would definitely be able to tailor the guitar more to your tonal needs. Both guitars are great, I think you will be satisfied either way.
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.
Quote by Zero_Mike
The 2170 is a Prestige, which means it will play much better. If you can afford it, go for the 2170.

Hi ...but how ...I'm planning to swap the pickups of the 670 like I said ...are you saying that even if I do the 2170 will still be better ?
Differences will be minimal. Get the 670 and switch out the pick ups for some Dimarzios. That way you can have whatever pickups you want, rather than the Ibanez designed Dimarzios, which aren't all that good from what I've heard. Prestige is really just a label really, most S series guitars are brilliantly built whatever the price tag.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
the 2170 is made from higher quality materials and in theory will play better and last longer. I personally am a big fan of buying the lesser model, suping up the electronics to better than prestige standards and just ripping it up on that axe. I don't feel that guitars that are over $1000 are any better than guitars that are $500.00 with a few upgrades.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
I'd probably buy the 670 and swap out the pickups. There isn't really much difference. But on the other hand, the 2170 looks really good and it'd be kinda cool to say you have a prestige but not worth my 400 pounds.
i would go with the s2170 but have you checked the new 2008 range? their japanese made its called the ibanez s5470 same price of the s2170 but they have different pick ups and has a ZR-2 tremelo
yeah but the 5470 is more a shred guitar. I may not be in his interest and I don't really know about the pickups, but I don't think they are that good.. But the tremolo looks interesting.
Yh i heard the tremelo is ment to pretty good, but havent heard much about the hot grinder and tracer pick ups. It doesnt help there being hardly any reviews or info about the s5470, i was thinking of getting a s series too it was either the s2170 or s5470.
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A 2170! It feels just like my s470 which was less than half the price. If you wanna spend that much get the s5470 IT is WAY BETTER!
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !