I own one of the Chinese "Fake" Joe Perry Boneyard guitars that I got on ebay just over a year ago. I think I paid about $390 including shipping. Here is the issue. The guitar looks and sounds fantastic, but I would like to get a Strat to replace it. How the hell do I unload one of these things knowing that they are counterfeit? All I want is a couple hundred bucks or a decent trade for an amp. Any advice or interest?
Last edited by Cheap_Trick at Oct 16, 2008,
If it looks and sounds fantastic, as you say, surely people would not really be put of the fact it is fake, if it is still a good guitar.
I have a few Q's
1. is it Gibson or Epi?
2. what condition is it in?
3. Where are you located?
Quote by jag16
I have a few Q's
1. is it Gibson or Epi?
2. what condition is it in?
3. Where are you located?

It has the Gibson logo on the Headstock, and the Joe Perry Boneyard emblem as well as truss cover. I have played it about four times total. It is in immaculate condition. I live in central New York. It is a really nice guitar, just not my style.
Quote by Mikeyw1233
If it looks and sounds fantastic, as you say, surely people would not really be put of the fact it is fake, if it is still a good guitar.

I agree, it is a fantastic guitar. I was just concerned about the selling a known fake.
Just be honest about it being a fake, but be sure to mention it's high quality. Slash's first two Les Pauls were fakes, and those things were (and are) freakin amazing.

Edit: Could we get a pic? I'm really curious as to what it looks like.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Quote by Butthead
Just be honest about it being a fake, but be sure to mention it's high quality. Slash's first two Les Pauls were fakes, and those things were (and are) freakin amazing.

I am at work right now, but I can get some pics out to you this afternoon. It is a really nice looking guitar. China really did their homework.
Cool, thanks man. If I had some money I would be interested. College costs too much.

Current Gear:

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
No problem, if its still around by Christmas maybe you can talk someone into buying it for you.
Would it be ok to list this guitar on this thread somewhere as a possible trade or purchase if I am completely honest about it being a counterfeit? I would really like to unload this before Christmas so I can validate another purchase (or wifey would flip out!)
The "fake" guitars slash uses are expensive custom made guitars not chinese knock offs. TS you can get in trouble for selling a fake gibson. Gibson has been pretty rabid about this they dont care if you put in your add its a fake. To them its the same as if some guy was selling em in an alley out of the trunk of his cars along with bootleg DVDs.
Oh just sell it and cover the logos up on the pictures youll be alright
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
^ That. Don't call it a Gibson, maybe even cover the logos. If it just looks like one, then it shouldn't be an issue, so long as the copyright lawyers don't measure the headstock.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by stereohigh
slash used max guitars.they are worth more than modern Gibsons these days

Well yes, they are custom made by a luthier mysteriously known as max which apparantly happens quite a lot with companies and their endorsees, in that their signature guitars are actually custom made by luthiers, not what you are buying.

Anyway, i think it will be hard to get somebody to trust the guitar if they cant hold it since its a counterfeit so maybe you will get more luck locally. Good luck mate.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by Snapple
Well yes, they are custom made by a luthier mysteriously known as max which apparantly happens quite a lot with companies and their endorsees, in that their signature guitars are actually custom made by luthiers, not what you are buying.

Anyway, i think it will be hard to get somebody to trust the guitar if they cant hold it since its a counterfeit so maybe you will get more luck locally. Good luck mate.

eBAY is a definite "no" because I am sure they have something in place for items like this. Any other ideas? If any members want it, the first $200 takes it. PM me. I will post some pics tonight if interested. Otherwise I may have to try craigslist or something.
Quote by Butthead

eh.. slashes weren't really fakes, they were replicas built by an amazing builder
I would say sell it as a fake. As long as someone knows it is a fake I don't see you having a problem.

The only caveat I would add is that if you sell it on ebay make someone write 'for fake gibson' on the check or mo memo line so someone doesn't try to reverse scam you.
I was just making the point that some "fake" guitars can be amazing. I know full well Slash's were made by a luthier. I would really research the legal side of selling counterfeit guitars.

Current Gear:

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
I dont think the "I told em it was a fake" will work as a good defense. And if you do sell it dont expect to get a whole lot for it. When alot of the gibson fakes on the net from china are going for 300 or less new cant expect more than 100 now if that.
Quote by Cheap_Trick
Here are some pics of the Chinese fake Joe Perry Boneyard. It is a very nice looking guitar.
Where you order this guitar....i sand a money to China,but guitars still no shipping to me....