Hey all, I want to learn guitar (have done for ages, just never had the money to do so) and i'm looking at getting a Washburn WI14 and a peavey solo 15w amp, comes to £135 in total, would it be a good idea to get this guitar and amp? or are there better ones in the same price range? What else would i need to buy aswell? Bearing in my the kind of music id like to play would be stuff like guns n roses, lynyrd skynyrd, some metallica, coheed and cambria, general rock stuff ect.
or should i get a yamaha pacfica 012/112? even though they're more expensive?
My suggestion would be to try before you buy. Hit as many music shops as you can and try as many guitars in your price range as you can. Don't settle, look for somthing that feels absolutely right for you. Jackson, Ibanez, Yamaha, and Epiphone all make solid starter guitars, but use those as suggestions rather then limiting yourself. While you're at it, try a variety of practice amps as well. You'll only have a better idea of what's out there when you're done.

-Edit-
Don't think of it in terms of "I want a guitar to play music style X". Any guitar (barring hollow bodies and things of that nature) is fine for any style of music. It's your fingers and the electronics that generate most of the tone. The amp is another story, but at the same time as long as you get a decent clean and distorted tone from it, you can still play whatever you like.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Oct 16, 2008,
^Addendum (I should really read more thoroughly )

There shoulden't be much else you have to buy. I'd suggest a 1 1/4" cable (obviously, they'll probably give you one for free), spare picks (you're going to lose them left and right), a polish cloth and some plain white cotton rags (always clean your instrument!), some 3-in-1 oil (use it anywhere the strings contact, like the bridge and nut, and wipe the strings down with it. Suggested by the folks at Fender Guitars), a strap, a tuner, and that should have it. You're still a long way off to be worrying about pedals and the like, but that should be your basics. If you feel so inclined, spend an extra $10 and get the grade 1 Mel Bay book, that will help you starting off tremendously.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
hey and thanks for the reply, and there arent any shops nearby me so i can test out some guitars unfortunately, the reason i was looking at the washburn is becuase its very cheap and has gotten good reviews, doesn't seem like a bad choice.

Ive tried a friends ibanex gax30 and i thought it was 'ok' but not great.