Hi Guys.

I have a simple question. What is the better guitar amp for Old School Hard Rock and Metal? Randall's MTS or Mesa Boogie's Dual or Triple Rectifier?
Quote by MrReneRamos
Hi Horlicks.

If money was no option which one would you you choose and why?

Neither, . Probably the MTS for the versatility.
instead of buying MTS for that much money id just buy the amps its trying to emulate used seperately.
like a 5150, an AC30, and maybe a DSL.
Quote by THEKID546
instead of buying MTS for that much money id just buy the amps its trying to emulate used seperately.
like a 5150, an AC30, and maybe a DSL.

But the point of the MTS is that you don't have to carry 3 huge combos around with you. Not to mention it sounds fantastic.
Quote by THEKID546
havent tried it.
does anyone have a link comparing the modules to the actuall amps.

Just search youtube. I don't think it models a 5150 btw.
I like the idea of the MTS, its more versatile than a Rectifier, but if your into old school hard rock and metal, why not just buy a Marshall JCM 800, or a Mesa boogie Mark III or IV?
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
^^ nah it doesn't, but it models many other hi gain boutique amps.

and also remember that b/c the MTS line is more recent, there's always the luxury of modern advances and features. it has two FX loops, an FX level knob on the front, ability to switch tube types, tube failure lights as well as easy biasing...can't remember everything else b/c mine's at the ex's apartment. but yea, that and everything Horlicks said
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
The MTS is pretty awesome. If you get bored with one tone, you don't have to buy a completely new amp, just buy/trade for another module.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The Mesa Boogie Roadking is supposed to do both Dual and Triple Rect sounds, and is also ridiculously versatile. It's worth a look into.

That said, I've heard good things about the MTS, especially its Dual Rec modeling with the Treadplate. And there's an active mod community...
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Oct 16, 2008,
Haha hey. I've tried both amps actually and i was in the same position as you. I ended up getting the MTS since you can replicate a Mesa with one of the modules. The XTC module is pretty close to a Mesa but you can also get tones such as a JCM 800, or Fender Cleans with one of the modules. I'm not home right now so i can't tell you exactly what each one replicates but like someone else said if you don't like the done of one of the modules you can just modify it. I currently have a Brown module, Clean module, and UltraXl module. Brown replicates an old Marshall think more of a Van Halen tone, Clean is just your average clean its nothing special but i like it. The UltraXl is killer though it has the highest gain of any of them. Youtube some of the stuff i think you may like it, but if you like a Mesa go with mesa. xD

To answer your question though, the MTS was my choice since you can get high gain and great cleans and also switch between other types of tone. Its just over all Versitile.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
i'd say the RAndall MTS. I've noticed a LOT of guys that record with Rectos or similar amps, but use the MTS live because of the versatility of the modules.