Page 1 of 2
I personally think that censorship is unnecessary. I mean, what makes a word "bad?" If the government decided tomorrow that the words "bike," "flower," and "shoe" were inappropriate and needed to be censored, wouldn't you agree that that would be idiotic? I don't see why other words, then, should be censored either.

So pit, what are your thoughts on censorship?
My Space Add me, I want some UG people on there

Gear
Squier Strat
Ibanez RG7321
OLP John Petrucci Sig Model
'78 Martin D-28
Line 6 Spider II 15 Watt
Peavey Backstage 15 Watt

Carpe Diem...
...Seize the Day
I'd say I'm quite against cencorship, but I agree that it can be appropriate from time to time.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
You're forgetting that words like "flower" and "bicycle" have no negative connotation associated with them nor are they offensive or obscene. I disagree with censorship though.
I believe that censorship is necessary, on tv and radio, but only pre-watershed i.e. 9pm, when most of the kids are up. After that, anything goes imo.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
With freedom comes responsibility. Censorship is only necessary because too many people can not moderate themselves, and exploit shock value for various means.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
yea censorship is pointless and pretty retarded if you dont like it dont dont listen,just like the god damn FCC you cant have this this and this ever broadcasted on radio television or otherwise blah blah no wonder were in such shitty economy were paying assholes to tell us how to speak and were paying "sport stars" millions of dollars to inject roids into their bodies and try and look good and win games fuKK the FCC i say
Empire Records one of the best films ever.
His name isnt Warren.
His name isnt Warren.
His name isnt Warren?
I thouht his name was Warren?

"slayer sabbath:
whats wrong with metal, has this website been taking over by power chording, girl pants wearing, emos?"
Quote by ge3tarb0y
I personally think that censorship is unnecessary. I mean, what makes a word "bad?" If the government decided tomorrow that the words "bike," "flower," and "shoe" were inappropriate and needed to be censored, wouldn't you agree that that would be idiotic? I don't see why other words, then, should be censored either.

So pit, what are your thoughts on censorship?

When would bad words be appropriate then?
But who decided that other words DO have negative connotations? I agree with what you're saying, but I don't think it's fair to single out certain words as obscene... Some words that aren't censored may still offend people, and what's the solution to that? We'll never please everybody by censoring
My Space Add me, I want some UG people on there

Gear
Squier Strat
Ibanez RG7321
OLP John Petrucci Sig Model
'78 Martin D-28
Line 6 Spider II 15 Watt
Peavey Backstage 15 Watt

Carpe Diem...
...Seize the Day
I reckon that, just for a week, all the worlds governments should censor/ban the words 'a', 'the', 'it' and 'like' or thheir equivalents in other languages.
It would be funny to see the chaos that ensued.
Quote by 05t16
no, because i'd punch my kid if he called me a sh*t dad

If you punched your kid that would make you a sh*t dad.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Quote by ge3tarb0y
But who decided that other words DO have negative connotations? I agree with what you're saying, but I don't think it's fair to single out certain words as obscene... Some words that aren't censored may still offend people, and what's the solution to that? We'll never please everybody by censoring

Who decided? Society decided. If you want to change the meaning of the words you're going need the help of everyone who speaks the English language and change the way words like "f*ck" are used. I recommend making "f*ck" a noun that replaces the name for cat.
"Man I'd sure like to have a catting f*ck."
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
**** you in the **** you barnacle.

Helps filter out the hatred for the young childern

THANK GOD!! Where would our little ones be today w/o censorship!!
dur dur dur
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
If all swear words were all of a suddem deemed non offensive it wouldn't feel as good to say them.
Quote by Schneiderman
With freedom comes responsibility. Censorship is only necessary because too many people can not moderate themselves, and exploit shock value for various means.

Exactly. How about this:

Imagine that you were driving down the road, and saw Goatse on a huge billboard? What if you were stuck in traffic and had it "staring" at you the whole time? How would that affect the rest of your day?

Pit, I propose we raise enough money to put Goatse on a billboard somewhere.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
How can you say a word is "worse" than another word of the same meaning. Why censor sh*t but not poo? they both mean the same
Although the slayer rule is right. Censorship is just re-enforcing the fact that these words are bad.
I think its a stupid idea and is completely unnecessary.
My Bass Rig (Since Everyone does this)
Fender Jazz 5 String
4x10 Hartke Transporter Series
Behringer BX4500H Ultrabass Bass Head (Changing to a Hartke 5500)

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/morningnj
If all of a sudden it was decided that, instead or penises or vaginas, the nose was inappropriate, and everyone went around wearing g-strings on their noses, people might think it a bit strange...

It's the same principle with penises and vaginas, and with language. The ancient Greeks made statues of naked people all the time, and that was okay with people then, but now it's just "weird".

What idiot decided that certain body parts are rude?

Same with words. Why?

Anyway, in conclusion, nudity ftw!
Because words like shiat, fock and assh0le is beyond human nature. We should keep our minds clean from dirty offensive images made by these words.

Edit: I still think that when you say, "I want to fock", or "Going to take a sh1t", it's okay, because you mean it and that IS human nature. But not if you apply such words offensively, and they are censored because thopse are the only words that can be applied offensively.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
ye i find it annoying because it cant be "bad" but i guess its just innapropriate for younger UG'ers
Censorship is necessary, but only in terms of what the meaning is behind something, not just the word "fuck".
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
The government doesn't decide. Societal culture does.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Yeah, well, I think **** ****** ** *** ****

*****?

***** *** ******** ** **** ****,*** *** *******, llamas, ****

***** and then, ****** fuck. *********** ****.

Seriously.
And another thing,

I mean, that's just ridiculous.
TS confused "government" with "society". The FCC is dictated by what the citizens say is appropriate and inappropriate. Our society is such, that these words have had some bad meaning and have been deemed censor-worthy.
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
I think censorship can be stupid at times. I mean, the word gay is censored. I'm not even going to bother starring it. The words "gay" means happy. When did some prat decide that happy was a bad word? Jeez.
It would be better if kids didnt run around all the time saying "****!"

but again, all words are just words. I bet if you didnt tell kids they were bad words, they wouldnt use them.
Quote by RU Experienced?
You're forgetting that words like "flower" and "bicycle" have no negative connotation associated with them nor are they offensive or obscene. I disagree with censorship though.

But flowers are sex organs.

That's why women like them, cause symbolic of a man ripping out his genitals at the root, or cutting them in a castration manner, and giving them to his loved one.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by The Spoon
-I bet if you didnt tell kids they were bad words, they wouldnt use them.

lol, have you ever seen a skate park full of pre-teens "skating" ?

"SHIT! MAN THAT **** AINT COOL, I TOTALLY ****ING WAS GONNA LAND IT BUT THAT GOD DAMN STICK GOT IN THE ****ING SHIT'S WAY!"

trying to be all bad ass... not even cursing correctly lol
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by Jack Off Jill
But flowers are sex organs.

That's why women like them, cause symbolic of a man ripping out his genitals at the root, or cutting them in a castration manner, and giving them to his loved one.

You have given me a new way to look at flowers......Ỡ_Ỡ
In Media Studies we've done about cencorship, and put it this way, if we didnt have it, this world would be a ****ed up place.
It's hardly likely that any minors would use this site...especially since you have to be 13...most 13 year olds know swear words. So i think censorship is really pointless on this site.
Sig space available, give me some praise
profanities have no purpose. there is absolutely no place in any conversation in which they couldn't be substituted with a different word, and therefore there is no need for them.
Quote by andyscoot
In Media Studies we've done about cencorship, and put it this way, if we didnt have it, this world would be a ****ed up place.

you do media studies...

But on topic, I think it's good for kids, but once you get past 13 you should be allowed to choose what you are exposed to.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
profanities have no purpose. there is absolutely no place in any conversation in which they couldn't be substituted with a different word, and therefore there is no need for them.

I know what you mean, but under certain circumstances, I find that profanities have a much stronger effect of conveying certain emotion at certain times.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by ge3tarb0y

No one person decided a word has a bad connotation. Who thought up love and all that? Noone it just evolved into our language, the government didn't just one day say F UCK is a bad word we must destroy it.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by andyscoot

I doubt that, most things are self censored anyway, people aways say stuff like "well you wouldn't want violence or sex in a show for little kids" and that's true, however stuff like that woudn't happen anyway even with out censorship, since the target audience wouldnt get anything out of it and it would just piss people off, which would cause the show to be massively unprofitable and this taken off the air, also people just don't do that sort of thing. This also applies to pretty much all other forms of media as well, theres very minimal censorship and the stuff that is there is mostly self imposed.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Page 1 of 2