I recently dug out my old bass when one of my old mates was round so we could have a bit of a jam. It has a great big split in the headstock, right along the machineheads. It's an old Westone Concord 1 which they stopped making in 1983 apparently and a search of the net has yielded nothing by way of replacements (everything seems aimed at the Fender market and is really expensive). So my question is: how to fix the crack? Should I cram it with wood filler? Wood glue? Would I be better strapping it with some sort of metal band or maybe trying to stick a piece of wood on the back of the headstock? I don't want to spend a lot of money, preferably none at all, but I'd love to fix it up as it has sentimental value (I played bass in a hardcore punk band in the early eighties). All advice greatly appreciated.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
I'd put some titebond glue in there and then clamp it down with a C clamp, let it sit over night, should be ok after that. If you don't have titbond it'll only cost you like 3 bucks
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Anyone know what the UK equivalent of titebond is? Is it just really strong wood glue?

Edit: stupid question, I just looked it up and you can get it here. Thanks for the help, I'll get some and have a go.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

Last edited by RubberSoul54321 at Oct 16, 2008,
Quote by ValoRhoads
I'd put some titebond glue in there and then clamp it down with a C clamp, let it sit over night, should be ok after that. If you don't have titbond it'll only cost you like 3 bucks

LOL - titbond!!!!