I've noticed that i've developed the ability to do pinch harmonics and alternate pick at the same time.I haven't heard someone doing that kind ofthing so I wonder can someone else do it?
It gives some nice sounds sometimes... But can be easily misused and sound like high pitched noise.
i think im also capable of doing it. although its hard to get a clear harmonic on the upstroke it sounds choked.
Yeah and with some practice i guess you could do some fast pitch harmonic riffs not as fast as usual alternative picking for the sake of a clear harmonic,but close
Quote by forgiveforget
on the upstroke it sounds choked.

I know Joe Satriani and some others guitarists have used pinch harmonics with fast downstrokes to get a nice effect, but not alternate picking; I'm guessing that's why.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
Quote by SkateAndGuitar
I've noticed that i've developed the ability to do pinch harmonics and alternate pick at the same time.I haven't heard someone doing that kind ofthing so I wonder can someone else do it?
It gives some nice sounds sometimes... But can be easily misused and sound like high pitched noise.

I can alt pick pinch harmonics. I do downstroked ph with my thumb and upstrokes witht he tip of a finger. I suggest everyone learns to do both ways not just the downstroke with the thumb. I can sound up or down equally good. Its the same principle and theres no reason why an upstorke is harder or doesnt sound as good other than the player didnt practice doing them that way enough.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Oct 16, 2008,
I've found ways to do upstroke pinch harmonics, so I can do alt. picked pinch harmonic stuff....though TBH, for the most part the amount of node changing you need to do harmonic riffs is harder than figuring out how to upstroke harmonics imo. I'll explain my technique later.
I've been doing alternate picked pinch harmonics for years. After I learned pinch harmonics and became more fluent with my alt. picking, I just decided to combine the two and found out how to do a pinch harmonic in basically any situation. I've even done tremolo pinch harmonics on occasion. Back when I only had my Ibanez G-10, which only has 22 frets, I was playing a song with tremolo picking on the 24th fret and instead of bending a full step, I just did P.H.s.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
i tried messing around with tremolo picking harmonics like that, but ive never really found a good use for it.

i do them differently then anyone ive ever seen though (its not difficult at all upstroke or down)...the last time i just randomly fired one off in the presence of another guitarist, (cause he was watching my hands), he said what the !@#$ was that.

i have also messed around with chords like that also (using all harmonics)
Alternate picking, Alternative rock...please get them straight!

If I make a point of doing so, and it may require quite a bit of practice, I can hit pinch harmonics on both the down and up strokes at reasonably fast speeds (8-12nps, 12 may be pushing it).