OK, I finally picked up my dad's guitar a few days ago and started playing. I have some problems that are making me reconsider. My hands are freakishly huge and I am ungodly uncoordinated. I often find myself muting strings with my huge fingers when fretting, finger picking is nearly impossible because I end up hitting strings I don't want to, and my strumming is awful because I'm so heavy handed.

What have ya'll got to say?
You don't have any problems any other beginner doesn't have. Any time you spend doubting yourself is time you could have used to work your problems out, so stop thinking of all the ways your not cut out for playing guitar and just do it.
When I first started playing, no matter what I did, my fingers always hit the wrong strings or touched like two other strings at once, even when I was starting on bass I had the same problem. Just spend time to make sure you play the notes of a chord perfect before moving on to the next one. It does get under your skin after the 25th time playing Cmaj and still not getting it right but the time you spend will pay off.
Don't give up, just take it slow and you'll get it over time. A guitar with a wider neck tends to help a bit too.
I've noticed when people first pick up guitar, they feel inclined to start listing off genetic impairments that make them play badly (hands too small, hands too big, arms too short, can't get comfortable standing up, can't get comfortable sitting down, extra limbs getting in the way, leprocy causing fingers to fall off while trying to hammer on, abnormally large penis getting in the way*, etc**).

It's just a matter of practice. Guitar is a very non-ergonomic instrument. Your hands simply aren't made for it. Be patient and keep at it and you'll find ways here and there to get around the problems. Look at Mick Thompson from Slipknot. He's a man with huge hands but he does alright. Just be paitent.

*As far as I know, that's only ever happened to me, Jimi Hendrix, and Lemmy from Motorhead.
**I may or may not be making at least two of those up.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Oct 16, 2008,
Don't worry with some proper practice you'll be playing in no time.Almost every other person who began playing the guitar had the same problems.
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by Garou1911
I've noticed when people first pick up guitar, they feel inclined to start listing off genetic impairments that make them play badly (hands too small, hands too big, arms too short, can't get comfortable standing up, can't get comfortable sitting down, extra limbs getting in the way, leprocy causing fingers to fall off while trying to hammer on, abnormally large penis getting in the way*, etc**).

It's just a matter of practice. Guitar is a very non-ergonomic instrument. Your hands simply aren't made for it. Be patient and keep at it and you'll find ways here and there to get around the problems. Look at Mick Thompson from Slipknot. He's a man with huge hands but he does alright. Just be paitent.

+1*

It puzzles me why people are surprised when they pick up the guitar for the first time and can't do shit with it - it's no different to any musical instrument, you wouldn't expect to be playing songs on the violin, piano or saxophone after a few days so why the guitar? Familiarity with the songs you want to learn, or how much you want to play doesn't factor into it - you're trying to accquire a brand new skill and it's going to take time.

You don't just pick up a musical instrument and start "playing", there's a significant period where all you're doing is getting used to the thing, teaching your hands what they need to do, getting a feel for it, learning how it works. During that time you won't be playing anything of any consequence, it's pretty much all about getting to grips with the sheer mechanics of it all with exercises and basic technique practice.

*...except for the bit about looking at Mick Thomson, please don't make me do that, he's ugly
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com