No.

Searchbar please. There are a million threads on Marshall MGs.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
you dont need a stack
simple as
get a small laney tube amp.

Edit: if your looking for a cheap giggable amp (only in the event of you actually having a gig on the way) then look at jcm900s on ebay, mine was 330.
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Oct 16, 2008,
Quote by 2mins2midnite
Is this a good amp to buy for £370

No.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Two words:

Search
Bar.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
nope, and as you've probably guessed, searchbar...
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by 2mins2midnite
could any one suggest an amp which has good tone, and do not let out exssesive noise. I was thinking a Randall Stack or something similar

Budget?
Home or Gig?
Music Style?
New or Used?
Closest City?
do not want!
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
I threw up a little in my mouth.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
whats with all these stupid overreactions?

I'd strongly advise against getting a Marshall MG. If you must get a marshall, you could get a used JCM800 or 900 combo for about the same price, and it will just be a better amp - it may not look as cool as having a stack, but at least it will sound great, and thats more important.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
OMG

No....don't do it.

i see wut u did thar.

No, don't get it please. If I read correctly, you want to buy that for roughly $700+ Canadian dollars, and with that much cash, you could afford something A LOT better.
Truth be told you can sound good out of ANY amp. I'm not recommending the MG or anything but the constant bashing of the amp is kind of uncalled for.

Why is it that these guys can sound pretty decent out of a Marshall MG?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-aquBKTxW0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-6Q293ZA5U

In the end, go try it yourself. But don't let other people tell you an amp sucks because they can't get good sound. Crappy MG tone is usually compounded by the fact that most people who play them cannot play guitar well.
Quote by al112987
Truth be told you can sound good out of ANY amp. I'm not recommending the MG or anything but the constant bashing of the amp is kind of uncalled for.

Why is it that these guys can sound pretty decent out of a Marshall MG?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-aquBKTxW0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-6Q293ZA5U

In the end, go try it yourself. But don't let other people tell you an amp sucks because they can't get good sound. Crappy MG tone is usually compounded by the fact that most people who play them cannot play guitar well.

i disagree, to be honest. can a good player get a decent sound out of an MG? probably. does that mean the same player couldn't get a better tone out of a better amp? of course not. he has £370, which is more than enough to get a far better amp than an MG, which he might as well do, in my opinion. why buy a worse amp when you can buy a better one?

of course, i agree that he should try it himself, but there's a reason why so many people around here hate mgs (apart from the bandwagon thing, which i agree can be a problem).

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i disagree, to be honest. can a good player get a decent sound out of an MG? probably. does that mean the same player couldn't get a better tone out of a better amp? of course not. he has £370, which is more than enough to get a far better amp than an MG, which he might as well do, in my opinion. why buy a worse amp when you can buy a better one?

of course, i agree that he should try it himself, but there's a reason why so many people around here hate mgs (apart from the bandwagon thing, which i agree can be a problem).

dave wins. everyone shush!
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
^ i'm not trying to win, but al's normally spot on the money, it's rare that i'd disagree with him (though i know what he's trying to say).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
haha i didn't mean win in that way... just needed some closure
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
i've seen some decent MG clips too. UG'r Jhashey I think has a real cool song he did on an MG. Problem is, they aren't built that well and you can do better for money spent. I've played 2 MGs now at a store and heard one at a concert and they reek.

*notice how TS didn't come back*

I DID offer a path to resolution tho.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Budget?
Home or Gig?
Music Style?
New or Used?
Closest City?

This please...

Ever notice how someone will create a MG thread, then never answer any questions asked? Makes me think troll everytime.

Edit: 311 get out of my head!!!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
haha i didn't mean win in that way... just needed some closure

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Oh I totally agree with you 100%, there is a reason why the guy(s) in the video(s) has a Marshall plexi and a Marshall Bluesbreaker/Fender twin reverb (1st video and second video respectively). Obviously the MG can't even compare to amps like that, but my main point is I've read thread after thread I've heard people ask about effects, stuff like that, only to be told that they'll never get good tone out of their MG, which is completely false. Decent tone can be gotten out of just about any amp with enough tweaking, by a good guitarist. A lot of good tone does come from the fingers and I just don't feel like that's emphasized enough sometimes.

I mean, guy in the first video playing Hideaway through sounds 100x closer to Eric Clapton on a JTM45 than Mr. Bluesbreaker here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o26_1PIGm4Y&feature=related

(I apologize if anyone on these forums is the guy in this video, but this is so poorly played on such expensive gear that I just had to make an example out of it)

But you're absolutely right, if I have $700, the Marshall MG would be last on my list of amps. I'm just a little sick of the anti-MG bandwagoning.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 16, 2008,
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?