Greetings people.

Ok, so I have this plank. It's a good 100 years old, almost perfectly straight and heavy.

It's 50 inches long, just over 6 inches wide and 3/4 of an inch thick.

My thought, is that if I can get it planed and split, I should get 3 book matched tops out of it.

But what is it?

Edge:

Finished side:

Unfinished side:

Any ideas people?
I CAN NAME IT!

I name it Steve.

Srsly, though, I dunno. Sorry.

/free bump
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Quote by LP Addict
6'' isnt enough for a good bookmatches top. that looks like bubinga... maybe cocobolo.... is it really hard, heavy as shit, and waxy feeling?

it does looks like cocobolo. I don't think it looks like bubinga though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
this wood would make an incredibly unique and valuable guitar. looks really nice, and 100yrs old? damn. I wanna see these builds...
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by LP Addict
6'' isnt enough for a good bookmatches top. that looks like bubinga... maybe cocobolo.... is it really hard, heavy as shit, and waxy feeling?

Age wise, my father has had it since the early 60's and it came from my grand father, who probably had it for years before that and he collects wood like flies around poop!
Then of course, it was formerly part of something, possibly a Piano, so it's old as hell.

I would be chuffed if it was Cocobolo.

Regarding book matches. I was hoping that once it was planed (it's 19mm now), then I might get two 6mm thick halves, 6 inches wide, giving me a 12 inch width, which should be enough for a strat top, would it not?

Waxy? Not sure. I have brought it indoors so it can begin to acclimatise after being stored in dry but colder conditions.

Any way of telling? I imagine once planed, the grain would be more obvious. The light patterns seem to be the hard bit and the dark bits are more grainy, so softer maybe, could be the other way around!

Any more opinions from the Guru's?
Last edited by Skeet UK at Oct 16, 2008,
OK.

So, was just trying to work out the density.

The cross section is 0.75 x 6.25 inches by 50 inches long and it weighs 3 kilos.

Soooo...it has a density of 22.1184 K per Cubic Foot, which is 780.8 Kilos per cubic meter.

Cocobolo is 1100 kg per cubic meter

Bubinga is 880 kg per cubic meter, so closer.

However, my scales are cooking ones and read in grams and pounds/ounces at the same time. The pounds/ounces side, said OVERLOAD, so it may be heavier than 3Kg.

Requires investigation....
Last edited by Skeet UK at Oct 16, 2008,
off my previous knowledge and a little help from google image search, I'd put money on it being cocobolo.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
See...I'm not sure how much the grain might be deceptive.

It isn't smooth, so the lighter parts are raised.

Really need to plain it down.

Could it be walnut?

Also, what is the best blade to use for cutting a book match?

I know they use fine tooth'd blades, but I need to find a large enough band saw.
it looks very walnutty to me

but it also looks similar to Cocobolo, but like the TS said, mathematically it should be Bubinga

omg. what to do now!?!? Ladies and gentlemen, i do believe we're in somewhat of a pickle here
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Oct 16, 2008,
It looks like old English Oak. The floors in my 200 year old house are made with the same stuff.
Not taking any online orders.
I instantly thought oak when i saw it, looks like waxed oak to me very nice wood
I don't think its cocobolo, it looks a bit to dark and the grain doesn't seem like cocobolo to me.
Quote by CorduroyEW
It looks like old English Oak. The floors in my 200 year old house are made with the same stuff.

And, this is what I was told it was originally, but I didn't want to cloud any judgements.

So, question is, would that make a nice top?

Assuming it is a thin top (6mm) then I guess it's tonal properties would be minimal, it is however, dense, which might help with sustain.
If its just 6mm thick and a top then the only that really matters is if it looks good, and this does . I love oak i think its got great character and anyway, you'd probably have a decent guitar if it was made entirely of oak most hhardwoods do the job ok for solid bodies.
12" isn't going to be wide enough for even a strat top. Go grab a 1' ruler.

Pretty piece of wood though!

-J

edit: google is your friend

If nothing else, that'll make a good number of neck lams.
Last edited by Pyrofretnic at Oct 16, 2008,
or u could do this on each side with a two inch strip of something (zebrawood to offset the dark color yet still look amazing?) in the middle
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I would guess oak. but in my opinion it looks rather... walnutty
My Gear:
Agile - 2000 W/ EMG 81/85
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
Just FYI, wood density varies based on all of the tree's growing conditions.

Oak on average is 680kg/m3, according to quick google search.

Also, that looks a whole lot like my oak coffee tables.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
if you could....post a pic of the end grain, you can tell a lot from end grain
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
or u could do this on each side with a two inch strip of something (zebrawood to offset the dark color yet still look amazing?) in the middle

That occurred to me. If I get a bit of something to go down the middle, maybe with maple pinstripes or something as well, to make up the width, would have enough for two guitars at least.